Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
14 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.59
12 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

The Handmaid's Tale: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #19221
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Disney+ debuted with ten million subscribers. Ten million households now without a strong incentive to purchase Disney physical media.

And that’s day one.

Just imagine what the physical media sections for Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart will be once it hits 50 million subscribers.

Wow.
It will sort the men from the boys. HT enthusiasts versus living room casuals in the film fan stakes.

I wouldn’t worry about Best Buy etc.. most of us have been collecting discs online now for several years.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #19222
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Disney+ debuted with ten million subscribers. Ten million households now without a strong incentive to purchase Disney physical media.
The Blu-ray and DVD versions of all of Disney's new releases will continue to be released months before their debut on Disney+. Impatience is a very strong incentive.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #19223
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Disney+ does not interest me much nor does it alarm me, either. I already own most of the Disney content that I am interested in, so I see no need to pay any recurring fee, even a low one, to watch what I already own.

People who prefer to rent, will rent. Those that prefer to own will continue to buy. These are two different mindsets entirely.

The Mandalorian is nowhere near enough of an enticement for me to subscribe. Other than Rogue One, nothing since the original Star Wars trilogy has really done much for me.

Meanwhile, it has been widely reported that Disney+ has butchered the first 19 seasons of The Simpsons by cropping the episodes to make them all widescreen thereby destroying many of the sight gags contained in them. See here for an example where the funny store sign is chopped out of the scene:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=259

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plu...are-not-happy/

Original aspect ratios are important, but apparently they aren't to Disney+. No thank you; I'll watch my discs; they have the correct aspect ratio. How many other older TV shows and movies will Disney+ crop and stretch in order to fill TV screens fully at the expense of content and artistic intent?

I buy my discs almost entirely online, and I have done so for many years, thus I do not care what Best Buy, Walmart, or any other retailer chooses to stock in their brick and mortar stores. The internet ain't just for streaming; it's for shopping...and worldwide at that.

So long as I can continue to buy the content that I want to own on a medium that actually provides real ownership and the best in video and audio quality, that is what I will do. If that option ever ends, I have my plan B and it is even more of a bargain than Disney+ could ever be.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 09:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (Yesterday), sapiendut (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #19224
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

For $10 I can have thousands of movies on hand. I only have time to watch 10 movies each month... I’d rather buy those 10 movies on UHD. especially with Disney’s penchant in recropping, editing contents to make things PC, etc.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #19225
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50strat54 View Post
With Digital it's so easy to find the movie!

If a classic favorite film is $4.99 and I don't have the digital I'll rebuy. Today I bought This Property Is Condemned for $3.99. Yesterday Patton for $4.99. I even buy guilty pleasures like Peacemaker for $3.99.

So I have a huge (750 and counting 35 TV shows) on Vudu and itunes with some combining on Movies Anywhere. So I'm pretty good with movies.

Streaming/Digital is the way things are going

Trade in value for Bluray discs is really going down. Stores are offering 10 cents or less for DVDs or flat out saying they don't want them.
If you know how to alphabetize, it is just as easy, even easier, to find the disc on a well organized shelf. No need to scroll through long lists of thumbnails or to type title names into search bars.

Discs go on sale for great prices, too, many are often $10 or less. They usually include the digital copy, too. Two ways to watch for one price. Disc for the quality and digital for the convenience of remote access.

I have to be a snob here, forgive me, but 785 titles isn't a "huge" collection. It is a respectable start at best.

Streaming/ digital is only "the way things are going" for those that choose them. Better options remain for those of us that prize real ownership and the best in quality, namely discs.

I never bought any of my discs with thoughts to their trade-in value. What is the trade-in value for any of your digital titles, by the way? Does the fact that digital titles have NO resale value in any way dissuade you from buying them? We buy content because we want to own it, except with discs I actually do own what I buy and I can resell them, or I can donate them, which is more than you'll ever be able to do with a digital collection.

I'll keep my disc collection, ever unchangeable, while you can only hope that your digital providers will continue to keep your digital collection for you...and in the same version that you bought it. I have full control over what I bought while you instead opt for faith in the benevolence of corporations to do right by you. Best of luck with that.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 10:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #19226
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

785 titles is a rookie number. I have about 3,000 movie titles on all disc formats. (yes, I’m bragging) another couple thousands for music.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #19227
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs commenter View Post
Their best stuff is still over a year away
High School Musical reboot?
Thanks given by:
octagon (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #19228
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
785 titles is a rookie number. I have about 3,000 movie titles on all disc formats. (yes, I’m bragging) another couple thousands for music.
You're well on your way.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #19229
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You're well on your way.
Even then I call my collection to be “big-ish” and not “big”. It can be bigger if studios just release their UHD to Canada. I can’t afford to always import titles that are not available in Canada.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #19230
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
For $10 I can have thousands of movies on hand. I only have time to watch 10 movies each month... I’d rather buy those 10 movies on UHD. especially with Disney’s penchant in recropping, editing contents to make things PC, etc.

Quote:
Oooh, badly compressed video of a badly altered movie is available in bad 4K and bad Atmos! I gotta sign up quickly!
Overblown

The aspect ratio thing for the simpsons can be and will easily be fixed.

Disney did not alter anything other than the always tinkered with greedo scene.

They kept Dumbo as is with a warning.

I will gladly watch 4k UHD versions of movies not on 4k disc. Some which will probably never hit 4k disc. Have fun watching The Great Wall and other "classics" I'm sure you own
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #19231
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Overblown

The aspect ratio thing for the simpsons can be and will easily be fixed.

Disney did not alter anything other than the always tinkered with greedo scene.

They kept Dumbo as is with a warning.

I will gladly watch 4k UHD versions of movies not on 4k disc. Some which will probably never hit 4k disc. Have fun watching The Great Wall and other "classics" I'm sure you own
I am glad that they left Dumbo intact.

The "aspect ratio thing" regarding The Simpsons is really a major screw-up on Disney's part as they completely removed countless sight gags across 19 years of content. Disney may fix this, but if they do it will only be as a result of the outcry that they caused by messing it up in the first place.

The fact that they were dumb enough to do this at all shows that they place little value on original aspect ratios and artistic intent. The next TV show or film that they mangle in this manner may not receive the publicity and outcry necessary to motivate them to correct their hatchet job.

Are you trying to be a film elitist with that crack about The Great Wall? If we were to peruse your collection, would we only find titles worthy of the "classics" accolade?

You once bragged repeatedly about It's A Wonderful Life being a 4K digital exclusive and here we are with the 4K disc; a 4K disc that includes the digital copy. The wait was more than worth it to me.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (Today), Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #19232
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Yeah, my soon to be ex sent me a text asking me to download the app for our son. I’m not sure what he watched, most likely a show, but he thought it was cool. If I wasn’t moving to a place where internet service is questionable I might have signed up for the service too.
I know that we don’t get on but that is not good to hear/read.
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #19233
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
I am glad that they left Dumbo intact.

The "aspect ratio thing" regarding The Simpsons is really a major screw-up on Disney's part as they completely removed countless sight gags across 19 years of content. Disney may fix this, but if they do it will only be as a result of the outcry that they caused by messing it up in the first place.

The fact that they were dumb enough to do this at all shows that they place little value on original aspect ratios and artistic intent. The next TV show or film that they mangle in this manner may not receive the publicity and outcry necessary to motivate them to correct their hatchet job.

Are you trying to be a film elitist with that crack about The Great Wall? If we were to peruse your collection, would we only find titles worthy of the "classics" accolade?

You once bragged repeatedly about It's A Wonderful Life being a 4K digital exclusive and here we are with the 4K disc; a 4K disc that includes the digital copy. The wait was more than worth it to me.
Being a smartass back to someone being dismissive of the original trilogy among other pixar marvel and also films from childhood on there in 4k hdr.

I'm happy it got a disc release. I picked up 4 old catalog titles the past month and will get that one too
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #19234
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Being a smartass back to someone being dismissive of the original trilogy among other pixar marvel and also films from childhood on there in 4k hdr.

I'm happy it got a disc release. I picked up 4 old catalog titles the past month and will get that one too
I generally, but not entirely if there is humor to be found, try to avoid arguments about how good or bad a movie is because it is entirely subjective. Go into any Stars Wars thread and criticize any of these movies at your peril; the faithful will eat you alive. I unabashedly own a lot of less than meritorious movies, so I can't credibly belittle anyone else's taste.

Well, the eye of my hurricane is passing and with it my flurry of post activity. I surrender the .

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 12:20 AM.
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #19235
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Yeah, my soon to be ex sent me a text asking me to download the app for our son. I’m not sure what he watched, most likely a show, but he thought it was cool. If I wasn’t moving to a place where internet service is questionable I might have signed up for the service too.
I know that we don’t get on but that is not good to hear/read.
My impending divorce? I appreciate the concern. It is amicable and for the best for both of us. Hopefully we’ll be both better for it. As I said in another thread, we moved to Texas for a better life. Sadly, it won’t be with one another.
Old Today, 01:26 AM   #19236
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

I’m a StarWars and I have virtually all versions on LD, VHS, DVD, BD, even Beta. Plus all the movies I care enough by Disney, Fox, Pixar, Marvel, I have them all on either DVD or BD or UHD (whichever best version is available)... including The Simpsons episode with the twin towers that’s been “censored” on Disney+
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #19237
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
I’m a StarWars and I have virtually all versions on LD, VHS, DVD, BD, even Beta.
You're a StarWars?
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #19238

Nov 2014

Quote:

It was Fox that messed The Simpsons up - that’s what they’ve been showing on TV for the past few years.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology