Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The White Princess (Blu-ray)
$7.99
11 hrs ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Frame Arms Girl: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.99
11 hrs ago
Princess Principal: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (Blu-ray)
$15.41

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #13601
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Spin it all you want another major manufacturer quitting the 4K player business is not a good sign
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #13602
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Spin it all you want another major manufacturer quitting the 4K player business is not a good sign
Thank you, I will.

I can't control the news, but I sure can my outlook. It is as sunny as ever, so much so that I need my

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 10:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #13603

Apr 2017

Quote:
It just means that Samsung's competitors are beating them, not that 4K players in general are selling poorly. Does Ultraviolet, Target Ticket, and FilmStruck being shutdown mean that streaming is doing poorly? No, it just means that their competitors are beating them.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Yesterday), Wendell R. Breland (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #13604
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Wait until Sony announces a 4K player built into their PS5.

Mainstream option, here we come!
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #13605

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

Does anyone use a game console as a disc player? I just use my Xbox One S. I like that I can use VUDU and Hulu in addition to playing my DVD/Blu-ray and 4K discs. My TV only does 1080 but the few 4K discs I own are a different transfer on a couple of them (Terminator 2 and Batman Begins). Star Wars - The Last Jedi I have is also 4K but I wanted the steelbook which was only available if I bought the 4K.

I'm surprised some of these companies like Sony or Samsung or whoever don't just make a universal disc player that can play all three formats (DVD/Blu-ray and 4K).
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #13606
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yeah, it pretty much kills TRUE HT.
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #13607
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It just means that Samsung's competitors are beating them, not that 4K players in general are selling poorly. Does Ultraviolet, Target Ticket, and FilmStruck being shutdown mean that streaming is doing poorly? No, it just means that their competitors are beating them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Wait until Sony announces a 4K player built into their PS5.

Mainstream option, here we come!
Boy you guys are in denial, Oppo had all kinds of excuses, Samsung is no good. Don't you think it might be Discs are the main reason? UV is on the way out, but MA has taken over Vudu has an option for this. I say the 4K Manufactures that include Streaming Apps will fare well, like Panasonic and Sony. You Disc guys have to see the writing on the wall!
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #13608
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Boy you guys are in denial, Oppo had all kinds of excuses, Samsung is no good. Don't you think it might be Discs are the main reason? UV is on the way out, but MA has taken over Vudu has an option for this. I say the 4K Manufactures that include Streaming Apps will fare well, like Panasonic and Sony. You Disc guys have to see the writing on the wall!
Donít you get it? Peoole seek out highest quality for their HT. without that, HT will shrink. You donít have any real standards, therefore itís not a big deal to you. Werenít you using a interlaced display a short while back?
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #13609

Apr 2017

Quote:
UV is on the way out, but MA has taken over Vudu has an option for this.
You're saying that UV folded because there was another better option? If only we had another better option for playing 4K Blu-ray than Samsung.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; Today at 02:26 AM.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Today)
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #13610
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Never owned a Samsung disc player because they never had discrete On/Off IR codes for their players. Pioneer, Sony, Oppo, LG, etc. does have have discrete IR On/Off codes.

AFAIK, all Samsung Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray players used, non-defeatable, video noise reduction.
Old Today, 02:38 AM   #13611
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
You are free to interpret this news as you like; you want it to be a nail in the coffin of physical media, which is how you choose to see everything, while the rational among us see it as simply a market correction. Samsung 4K players had a poor reputation and they did not support Dolby Vision...in 2019. Why would anyone even want a 4K player that lacked Dolby Vision when almost every player but theirs offered it?

Oppo left their entire home audio & video business, including your preferred listening technology: the headphone, as well as amps for them, DACs, and disc players. Is there no demand for headphones, too? They did so to focus on their core business: smartphones.

I see this writing on the wall above the corner where you are sitting in large block(head) letters:

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 04:29 AM.
Old Today, 03:04 AM   #13612
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Donít you get it? Peoole seek out highest quality for their HT. without that, HT will shrink. You donít have any real standards, therefore itís not a big deal to you. Werenít you using a interlaced display a short while back?
If you call over two years a short time, yes. Time flies and so does Technology, a couple of years is an Eternity. The only people that require the highest quality are on this Web Site. The General Public just wants to see a Movie or TV Show in a decent Format, that's why DVD are still so popular. My ISP Cable Systems just upgraded their Fiber Network. They added Total Home DVR, which is putting your recordings on an Intranet Server to access from any TV or Device in your home. This can easily include your Movie and TV Show Collection. Streaming Networks and Servers are coming!
Old Today, 03:09 AM   #13613
Expert Member

Jul 2016
1537 Paper St.

I'm super annoyed Best Buy doesn't sell CDs anymore.
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #13614

Apr 2017

Quote:
If you call over two years a short time, yes. Time flies and so does Technology, a couple of years is an Eternity.
It's another Entry for the alchav dictionaryô.

Eternity (noun): two years

Digital (adjective): everything

Servers (noun): storage for everything

Rude Awakening (noun): pleasant future

Always Remember to capitalize random Words and use Sunglasses otherwise people will have no Idea what you're talking About.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; Today at 03:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (Today), Vilya (Today)
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #13615
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
If you call over two years a short time, yes. Time flies and so does Technology, a couple of years is an Eternity. The only people that require the highest quality are on this Web Site. The General Public just wants to see a Movie or TV Show in a decent Format, that's why DVD are still so popular. My ISP Cable Systems just upgraded their Fiber Network. They added Total Home DVR, which is putting your recordings on an Intranet Server to access from any TV or Device in your home. This can easily include your Movie and TV Show Collection. Streaming Networks and Servers are coming!
It has been over three years, and counting, since streaming service bitrates have improved. If two years is an eternity, what do you call 3+ years? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

The only people that want the highest quality are members of this website? Again, you are reliably wrong. Seeing as you think anecdotes are the gospel truth, try this one on for size:

A friend of mine since 1971 has a mom in her 80s that owns a better TV than yours, a better disc player than yours, listens through a better sound system than your wireless headphones, and owns more blu-rays than you own digital titles. She does not visit this website, but she does have an advanced education and appreciates what blu-ray has to offer. She does not stream.

I get better internet than you do in my little village of 1600. My download speed is 135 Mbps now, to your 85 Mbps, and I have the option of going up to 1 Gbps. None of it makes streaming look or sound any less limited because both streaming bitrates and the codecs used for them have remained stagnant since 2015.

The only thing older than DVR service, cloud or local storage, are your meaningless and randomly capitalized single emoji punctuated posts.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 04:23 AM.
Old Today, 04:12 AM   #13616
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalbiz View Post
I'm super annoyed Best Buy doesn't sell CDs anymore.
Why? Buy them somewhere else or online. Best Buy is not the only retailer on Earth by a longshot.
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #13617
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It's another Entry for the alchav dictionary™.

Eternity (noun): two years

Digital (adjective): everything

Servers (noun): storage for everything

Rude Awakening (noun): pleasant future

Always Remember to capitalize random Words and use Sunglasses otherwise people will have no Idea what you're talking About.
We know still another member who thinks 8+ years is "soon."
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #13618

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
We know still another member who thinks 8+ years is "soon."
Well it's only 4 Eternities away, sounds soon to me.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Today)
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #13619
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It has been over three years, and counting, since streaming service bitrates have improved. If two years is an eternity, what do you call 3+ years? Rhetorical question, no need to answer.

I get better internet than you do in my little village of 1600. My download speed is 135 Mbps now, to your 85 Mbps, and I have the option of going up to 1 Gbps. None of it makes streaming look or sound any less limited because both streaming bitrates and the codecs used for them have remained stagnant since 2015.

The only thing older than DVR service, cloud or local storage, are your meaningless and randomly capitalized single emoji punctuated posts.
Streaming Bitrates have not changed because most people barely get 25Mbps, just a few like us get more and mine is Symmetrical. So the Providers are working with those 25Mbps in improving the Codec and using Adaptive Streaming. That's why I think Symmetrical Speeds are so important for that two way communication for Picture and Sound Quality.

That is Server Based DVR Service, that means the capability is there for Storage and playback of your Movie and TV Show Collection.
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #13620
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Streaming Bitrates have not changed because most people barely get 25Mbps, just a few like us get more and mine is Symmetrical. So the Providers are working with those 25Mbps in improving the Codec and using Adaptive Streaming. That's why I think Symmetrical Speeds are so important for that two way communication for Picture and Sound Quality.

That is Server Based DVR Service, that means the capability is there for Storage and playback of your Movie and TV Show Collection.
The most recent FCC report shows that 92% of Americans have access to broadband. 92% is most definitely "most" Americans. The average broadband speed in the U.S. is 95.25 Mbps. The overall average speed in the U.S. is just shy of 26 Mbps, but the reason for that low average is due to more than access issues; economic issues are a factor, too. Not everyone can afford high speed broadband internet. In fact, according to the Pew Research Center, a full 35% of Americans lack broadband service despite it being available to 92% of Americans. 65% of Americans have broadband service and that, too, is "most" by any definition.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/fc...adband-access/

http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-shee...net-broadband/

https://www.speedtest.net/reports/un...es/2018/fixed/

https://bgr.com/2018/07/10/average-i...-vs-the-world/

Bitrates have not improved because low standard viewers, like you, are already content with what they receive now. It doesn't take all that much to please viewers like you who listen thru wireless headphones or with the TV's built-in speakers. Convenience and cheap is what rings your bell. The streaming services don't need to improve anything because viewers like you are already happier than pigs in sheet.

Adaptive streaming adjust bitrates downwards to accommodate those with even worse internet than what you receive. Streaming providers, like Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon, do not exceed 16 Mbps, period. This has been proven numerous times with numerous citations by numerous members. There is almost no two-way communication involved with streaming; this has been proven repeatedly also. It is no surprise that you have learned nothing from any of it. Just comfort yourself by clicking your heels together and repeating "it's all digital" until you feel better.

DVR storage, on a remote server, of programs that you record from your cable TV service, analogous to cloud storage in that the data is not locally stored, is OLD news. You in no sense own such content, either. The fact that your provider offers it is nothing special. This feature is as common as dirt. You talk about DVR service like it was some kind of break through tech; it isn't.

Your digital library has always been stored on a remote server; nothing new about that, either.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 07:52 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology