Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Soon: Spider-Man Limited Edition Col… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32
18 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 11-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #12641
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustandtinsel View Post
Question for those who know more about this than I do: Will the likelihood of a narrower release window between theatrical and VOD make any difference for physical media? I saw that Universal and WB are going to possibly try it next year. Frankly, I feel like they already rush it as it is so I'm not thrilled about this idea.
It doesn't help physical media any, but it also hasn't hurt it that much. This earlier availability for VOD and EST(electronic sell thru) has been going on for quite awhile now and disc sales are declining, overall, at nearly the same rate this year as last, 14.1% vs 14.46% respectively. It has not made any significant impact on disc sales thus far.

Those who value the better quality and true ownership afforded by disc seem to take the longer wait for a disc release in stride. I certainly don't sweat it; I got plenty to keep me entertained, so waiting a little longer doesn't much matter.
Thanks given by:
flyry (11-19-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #12642
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...o-mobile-games

This is gaming but the same idea applies to film and tv. The guy talks about gen Z moving away from their big screen so they can play games and video chat live on their mobile devices any time anywhere.

Expect similar social features with group watch apps in the future for film and tv. Those pesky kids (thatís for you Octagon) May destroy gaming on the big screen and they are gunning for film and tv next.

Still, you guys resist despite evidence stacking up that we are indeed facing the mobile apocalypse. I doubt kids in 10-15 years will be remotely interested in the tv screen or monitor. If they can abandon games in full HD on their tv, they can abandon ANYTHING.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #12643
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...o-mobile-games

This is gaming but the same idea applies to film and tv. The guy talks about gen Z moving away from their big screen so they can play games and video chat live on their mobile devices any time anywhere.

Expect similar social features with group watch apps in the future for film and tv. Those pesky kids (thatís for you Octagon) May destroy gaming on the big screen and they are gunning for film and tv next.

Still, you guys resist despite evidence stacking up that we are indeed facing the mobile apocalypse. I doubt kids in 10-15 years will be remotely interested in the tv screen or monitor. If they can abandon games in full HD on their tv, they can abandon ANYTHING.

I'm much too from today's shopping spree to be worried about your worries. I'm sure you can worry enuff for all of us.

I'm gonna go watch Simpsons episodes while you fret.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #12644
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Question for those who know more about this than I do: Will the likelihood of a narrower release window between theatrical and VOD make any difference for physical media? I saw that Universal and WB are going to possibly try it next year. Frankly, I feel like they already rush it as it is so I'm not thrilled about this idea.

I think so. If I can get it cheaper and earlier, with the near or same quality, why wouldn't I go for it? There are times where I will get the digital hd copy first and wait a while and get the BD used for real cheap. It's all about temperance for me and my buying habits.

Last edited by cheez avenger; 11-17-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #12645
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Thanks for the loophole; it allowed me to order 2 more!
Well, my wife and I dropped almost $600 today on a Nintendo Switch system, games, and accessories. It was a splurge, but I did get 18 month no interest financing with the Best Buy credit card. I don't plan for it to take that long to pay off (I'll make some payments for the next couple/few months and likely pay off the rest come tax return time).

It was mainly for her. I already have a Switch, and not that I mind if she uses it, but being that it's both a portable system and a console, with the portable aspect it's nice if we each have one. She's not nearly as big of a gamer as I am, but still enjoys it. She has a 3DS, but with releases for that slowing down, she had been eyeing some Switch games, so I suggested just going ahead and getting her one now.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #12646
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Yes, I have said that Movies will come out with shorter release dates. Then depending on the popularity the Studios will determine it's distribution. The Studios just want to sell Movies, and the best distribution methods are always in question.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 AM   #12647
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
This is gaming but the same idea applies to film and tv.
It does? You see people watching Game of Thrones on their phones so they can chat live with their friends who are also watching Game of Thrones? Sort of a Game of Thrones watch party but on phones?

Okay.

Quote:
The guy talks about gen Z moving away from their big screen so they can play games and video chat live on their mobile devices any time anywhere.
It's worth noting that 'the guy' is the co-founder and CEO of the company pitching this product. So yeah, of course it's going to be the wave of the future.

It's also worth noting that the data so far doesn't support this notion that people are flocking to mobile gaming and away from console and PC gaming. Over the past several years mobile has had huge growth but that growth has not come at the expense of console or PC gaming which have both posted moderate growth over the same period.

Quote:
I doubt kids in 10-15 years will be remotely interested in the tv screen or monitor. If they can abandon games in full HD on their tv, they can abandon ANYTHING.
I was browsing Black Friday ads and one of Best Buy's doorbusters is going to be a 75" LG LCD for around eight hundred bucks.

But yeah, big screens are an endangered species.

The only thing I have to worry about falling in ten or fifteen years will be the 90" flat screen I'll probably pay a grand for during a Super Bowl LXIV sale.

The sky will be just fine.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #12648
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
It does? You see people watching Game of Thrones on their phones so they can chat live with their friends who are also watching Game of Thrones? Sort of a Game of Thrones watch party but on phones?

Okay.

It's worth noting that 'the guy' is the co-founder and CEO of the company pitching this product. So yeah, of course it's going to be the wave of the future.

It's also worth noting that the data so far doesn't support this notion that people are flocking to mobile gaming and away from console and PC gaming. Over the past several years mobile has had huge growth but that growth has not come at the expense of console or PC gaming which have both posted moderate growth over the same period.

I was browsing Black Friday ads and one of Best Buy's doorbusters is going to be a 75" LG LCD for around eight hundred bucks.

But yeah, big screens are an endangered species.

The only thing I have to worry about falling in ten or fifteen years will be the 90" flat screen I'll probably pay a grand for during a Super Bowl LXIV sale.

The sky will be just fine.
In the past, AAA titles havenít been possible on mobile, now they are. Fortnite did exceptionally well on mobile for example.
Gaming phones are becoming a thing as well.
Finally, cloud gaming will become mainstream next generation. Games will move away from needing consoles and be playable on every device.

This is the perfect storm that will lead to the scenario I described.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #12649
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
This is the perfect nonsense that will lead to nothing.

There! I fixed it for you free of charge. No need to thank me; I'm here to help!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #12650
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2015

Quote:
In the past, AAA titles havenít been possible on mobile, now they are. Fortnite did exceptionally well on mobile for example.
Finally, cloud gaming will become mainstream next generation. Games will move away from needing consoles and be playable on every device.

I doubt the big three are going to cut their profits and allow this.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #12651
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
As far as I'm concerned, games haven't needed consoles for well over a decade. I play primarily on my pc and I do not foresee that changing.

While I'll spend a lot for an OOP movie, I refuse to spend $50-$70 for a game and from my casual observations that is the price range of many brand new console games. Even though most of my games were gifts; I have rarely spent more than $20 for a pc game in several years. It seems like all of them drop to that price, or lower, eventually.

I am curious about VR, but not in its present form. I want a 4K version and even then I am more interested in how it will benefit movie playback than I am in how it affects games. Of course, if I ever got to play a VR game, I might change my mind.

Playing games on any phone, no matter how powerful, does not interest me. There is nothing about gaming on a 5" screen that appeals to me. If I'm stuck at the airport waiting for a delayed flight, then I might play, or watch, something on my phone, but I seldom travel. My years as a RR conductor have cured me of the travel bug.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-18-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #12652
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I guess I hit another nerve, you guys could call your Movie set-ups anything you want, I have always called mine an Entertainment Center. Did you read the Article, I was just going by John Sciacca definition of a Home Theater.
even though I agree (an HT requires a big screan, proper audio and seating)

and so somethimng like my familly room with a 65" TV 7.2 audio and L shaped seating or my bedroom with 8' wide screen with 1080p 3d projector and 5.1 set up don't count as HTs, the

Quote:
A lot of you guys don't have your equipment set-up, even on your Profiles. Wendell does
but that is what made your initial comment (below) so dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Wendell you're the only one in our group that truly has a Home Theater, and can say that Quality in Movies is first and foremost on their list
You don't know what others have. My HT has a 10' wide screen with a (real) 4k projector, proscenium, 3 rows of d-box recliners, 7.1 + over head speakers for audio with the walls treated for audio and a dark neutral coloured walls for light reflection.

Also I was lucky enough to get a good education that lead to a good job and the income that now in my late 40's I can afford such expensive toys. Does it mean someone that was not as luck or someone earlier in life must not care because their toys might be less expensive. When I was in university I lived in an apartment that was 1/2 to 1/3 the size of my HT today, it was what I could afford. If some was now in that scenario would it necessarily mean thety don't care, or like me at that time, that it is what theyt can afford on living arangemnets. Some can care about the movie watching experience without having the means for a dedicated room with expensive equipment.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #12653
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
They wonít be able to stop it. Microsoft knows it and is preparing with its cloud gaming plans. It will be the big three but as a service, not a console.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #12654
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Cool. I'm a big believer in the idea that more choices is better than fewer choices.

I've tried a couple games on a Fire tablet and while I'm not a big fan of the controls (same goes for console controls, actually) the experience wasn't terrible. I could totally see a mobile game being a lot of fun.

Bring it on, I say.

Quote:
But why assume that consoles will no longer be one of those devices?

I know that's convenient for your doom and gloom scenarios but there are precious few actual reasons to think consoles are going away anytime soon.

And let's say some mobile device, be it a tablet or a phone or whatever, someday provides all of the functionality of a console while adding the functionality of a mobile device.

How would that be a Bad Thing? You could still do everything you can do with a console and you could do more.

I like more. More is Good.

Quote:
Considering that the scenario you described has mobile gaming destroying TV and movies that would have to be one hell of a storm.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #12655
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Cool. I'm a big believer in the idea that more choices is better than fewer choices.

I've tried a couple games on a Fire tablet and while I'm not a big fan of the controls (same goes for console controls, actually) the experience wasn't terrible. I could totally see a mobile game being a lot of fun.

Bring it on, I say.

But why assume that consoles will no longer be one of those devices?

I know that's convenient for your doom and gloom scenarios but there are precious few actual reasons to think consoles are going away anytime soon.

And let's say some mobile device, be it a tablet or a phone or whatever, someday provides all of the functionality of a console while adding the functionality of a mobile device.

How would that be a Bad Thing? You could still do everything you can do with a console and you could do more.

I like more. More is Good.

Considering that the scenario you described has mobile gaming destroying TV and movies that would have to be one hell of a storm.
Consoles are not needed with a cloud gaming subscription. That’s kind of my point. You take away the neeD for that console and you take away one of the few reasons generation Z still use a TV. My point was, if they are going to do that, nothing will intice them to use a large screen be it for movies, tv or games.

It is widely expected that the next generation will be the final consoles as streaming games can be done on a multitude of devices. Mobile will be pushed hard has it has a huge reach for younger people (the future of their gaming audience).

Of course, with that comes less of a focus on 4K and more of a focus on steady 720P. For a long while, that will be the desired resolution to ensure a crisp, constant quality. Very few people will be able to stream 4K and even fewer of the younger crowd will even care.

Microsoft are said to be releasing a discless console next year to test the waters in preparation for their next gen release. That in itself is a huge development. Like every other section of media, the race to the bottom has started.

I see the same thing happening more and more in the film and tv business also once those gen z guys reach working age and start families.

The future is mobile and you guys who buy films on digital have accelerated the process.

Last edited by Steedeel; 11-18-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #12656
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Consoles are not needed with a cloud gaming subscription. Thatís kind of my point. You take away the neeD for that console and you take away one of the few reasons generation Z still use a TV. My point was, if they are going to do that, nothing will intice them to use a large screen be it for movies, tv or games.

It is widely expected that the next generation will be the final consoles as streaming games can be done on a multitude of devices. Mobile will be pushed hard has it has a huge reach for younger people (the future of their gaming audience).
You do know that you can connect a computer to a TV, right? It's very easy to do.

If the next generation of consoles are "widely expected" to be the last, surely you can provide us with some citations?

There is NOTHING to lend any credibility to your obsession with these imagined fears of yours, nor is there seemingly any cure for it, either. All roads with you lead to the demise of movies and TVs; that is your trademark schtick.

Even if there was any rational reasoning behind these predictions of yours; what exactly do you expect us to do about it? Quake with fear? Chew our fingernails off? Stock up on games and movies while we still can? Should we buy 15 phones and stick them all together on the wall to form a 75" screen? Should we gather pitchforks and torches and get our angry mob on? What exactly do you expect us to do?

I certainly won't be living in fear like you do. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds- and much of it will be way too big to fit in the palm of my hand.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #12657
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You do know that you can connect a computer to a TV, right? It's very easy to do.

If the next generation of consoles are "widely expected" to be the last, surely you can provide us with some citations?

There is NOTHING to lend any credibility to your obsession with these imagined fears of yours, nor is there seemingly any cure for it, either. All roads with you lead to the demise of movies and TVs; that is your trademark schtick.

Even if there was any rational reasoning behind these predictions of yours; what exactly do you expect us to do about it? Quake with fear? Chew our fingernails off? Stock up on games and movies while we still can? Should we buy 15 phones and stick them all together on the wall to form a 75" screen? Should we gather pitchforks and torches and get our angry mob on? What exactly do you expect us to do?

I certainly won't be living in fear like you do. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds- and much of it will be way too big to fit in the palm of my hand.
You personally? Nothing at all. Others who claim to have passion for films and/or HT shouldn’t be investing in digital imo. Like I say, the race to the bottom.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #12658
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

It’s just common sense. Microsoft are investing massively in cloud gaming, everyone will follow suit. This gen is too soon but six years on and we will just have streaming boxes or the streaming service will be built into the tv. Then of course comes the onrush of mobile gamers who just need a subscription to their service of choice. The industry is just waiting for big enough percentage of people to have access to 5G or fibre (depending on their preference for mobile or home gaming.

By the way, yes of course I know about connecting a computer to a tv. I have been gaming my entire life. It’s obvious to any gamer where things are going.

Last edited by Steedeel; 11-18-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #12659
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2015

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, games haven't needed consoles for well over a decade. I play primarily on my pc and I do not foresee that changing.
PC Gaming is "superior", I'll give you that, but console gaming is pretty good too. I also, like you, have no interest in mobile gaming.

Quote:
Consoles are not needed with a cloud gaming subscription. Thatís kind of my point. You take away the neeD for that console and you take away one of the few reasons generation Z still use a TV. My point was, if they are going to do that, nothing will intice them to use a large screen be it for movies, tv or games.

Of course, with that comes less of a focus on 4K and more of a focus on steady 720P. For a long while, that will be the desired resolution to ensure a crisp, constant quality. Very few people will be able to stream 4K and even fewer of the younger crowd will even care.

Microsoft are said to be releasing a discless console next year to test the waters in preparation for their next gen release. That in itself is a huge development. Like every other section of media, the race to the bottom has started.

I see the same thing happening more and more in the film and tv business also once those gen z guys reach working age and start families.

The future is mobile and you guys who buy films on digital have accelerated the process.
Sony has sold nearly 100 million PS4's. Xbox has around 40 million sold. The Switch is at 25 million or so.

Given the billion dollar video game market they aren't going to stop making titles for these consoles that sell millions in a few weeks. Spider-man for the PS4 sold 3.3 million units in 3 days. That's nearly $200 million dollars in sold units. They aren't dropping this for mobile or non-consoles.

Plus. cloud gaming already exists on the console. You can stream games on the PSN and Xbox has Game Pass. Removing discs kills the second hand market and let's them control the price point, which digital gaming is usually higher in cost vs disc.

Digital movie buying has NOTHING to do with the fact people like downloading their games and avoiding discs.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #12660
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
PC Gaming is "superior", I'll give you that, but console gaming is pretty good too. I also, like you, have no interest in mobile gaming.

Sony has sold nearly 100 million PS4's. Xbox has around 40 million sold. The Switch is at 25 million or so.

Given the billion dollar video game market they aren't going to stop making titles for these consoles that sell millions in a few weeks. Spider-man for the PS4 sold 3.3 million units in 3 days. That's nearly $200 million dollars in sold units. They aren't dropping this for mobile or non-consoles.

Plus. cloud gaming already exists on the console. You can stream games on the PSN and Xbox has Game Pass. Removing discs kills the second hand market and let's them control the price point, which digital gaming is usually higher in cost vs disc.

Digital movie buying has NOTHING to do with the fact people like downloading their games and avoiding discs.
They will still make the games it will just be consumed differently. Services instead of consoles. I already said next gen is safe Groot. That’s at least six years. Look how fast things changed when Netflix came into the scene?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology