Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$30.25
10 hrs ago
1917 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Gemini Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.68
13 hrs ago
Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49
 
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04
 
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32
 
Midway (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #3461
tommyboy81 tommyboy81 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
tommyboy81's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
17
93
3
2
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81
Default

question here thats probably been asked here and there. Bipoles for Atmos setup. To my understanding using Bi is a no-no for Heights. What about Surround Back channels?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #3462
FilmFreakosaurus FilmFreakosaurus is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Apr 2012
US of A
306
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
question here thats probably been asked here and there. Bipoles for Atmos setup. To my understanding using Bi is a no-no for Heights. What about Surround Back channels?
Bipoles are useable depending on distances from the main listening positions. If you're close, like 3-4 feet from the surrounds, then bipoles are recommended rather than monopoles.

Overheads can be of the pre-aimed/pre-angled variety for ceilings 8 feet and under like those from RSL Speakers. Wide dispersion overheads like KEF or JBL Control coaxials are good for above 8 feet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #3463
tommyboy81 tommyboy81 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
tommyboy81's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
17
93
3
2
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Bipoles are useable depending on distances from the main listening positions. If you're close, like 3-4 feet from the surrounds, then bipoles are recommended rather than monopoles.

Overheads can be of the pre-aimed/pre-angled variety for ceilings 8 feet and under like those from RSL Speakers. Wide dispersion overheads like KEF or JBL Control coaxials are good for above 8 feet.
from my listening position to back wall is 5ft. same for the sides of the wall. where I'll sit to near the ceiling for the heights is 4/4.5 ft. Wall length on the side walls is 12ft
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #3464
FilmFreakosaurus FilmFreakosaurus is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Apr 2012
US of A
306
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
from my listening position to back wall is 5ft. same for the sides of the wall. where I'll sit to near the ceiling for the heights is 4/4.5 ft. Wall length on the side walls is 12ft

You're right on the cusp of bipole and monopole surrounds. You could probably go monopole as long as they don't have too narrow a dispersion.


They should be timbre matched to the front speakers if you can help it. Unless you're updating your speakers as well.


What is your ceiling height?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #3465
tommyboy81 tommyboy81 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
tommyboy81's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
17
93
3
2
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
You're right on the cusp of bipole and monopole surrounds. You could probably go monopole as long as they don't have too narrow a dispersion.


They should be timbre matched to the front speakers if you can help it. Unless you're updating your speakers as well.


What is your ceiling height?
ceiling height is 9ft.

and already upgraded speakers. SVS Prime Bookshelf for front and Prime Center

Those are the only things I have hooked up. I have 4 Polk T15's just sitting around. I really thought about just getting 2 more if I wanted to do the 5.1.4 setup. Get Bestbuy to price match Amazon and use my Rewards, I should get the 2 speakers for $50

Last edited by tommyboy81; 01-12-2020 at 11:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #3466
FilmFreakosaurus FilmFreakosaurus is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Apr 2012
US of A
306
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
ceiling height is 9ft.

and already upgraded speakers. SVS Prime Bookshelf for front and Prime Center

Those are the only things I have hooked up. I have 4 Polk T15's just sitting around. I really thought about just getting 2 more if I wanted to do the 5.1.4 setup. Get Bestbuy to price match Amazon and use my Rewards, I should get the 2 speakers for $50

I would get matching Prime's for the surrounds, and hang the T15's from the ceiling using angle adjustable key hole mounts.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-14-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #3467
golden ears golden ears is offline
Member
 
Oct 2014
Default

hi everyone, I've been away for sometime now. i'm stuck on my options for 5.1.4. What are current users of this setup using as height designations? I started with front heights (a little in front of, and at ceiling wall juncture at side of MLP. Also rear heights in back of and at wall ceiling juncture. I did the calibration 8 locations in a 12'x14' room, Fantastic movement of audio throughout listening area. I was caught up in always hearing my height speakers, but now I also appreciate the other end of the spectrum (enjoying the ride)!! I find myself wondering what if I leave my speakers where they are , but changing their designation setup in my AVR x4100, in other words top middle instead of front heights. My question is will that give me a different audio perspective, or will the Atmos decoder simply use those settings to give me the same listening experience? ie as the director intended???
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #3468
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

You won't get the same - Atmos will be adjusted to your speaker setup, or more accurately what you tell the receiver the setup is. Middle is supposed to be directly above or beside MLP. What is a "little" in front?

I'd be inclined to try top front and back with speakers mounted just below the ceiling to see how that sounds. Height might be giving you a calibrated mix for slightly lower mounted wall speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #3469
golden ears golden ears is offline
Member
 
Oct 2014
Default

Thanks for the suggestions, actually the speakers are only a couple inches in front of MLP, I never used top front and back. I'll try that
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 AM   #3470
golden ears golden ears is offline
Member
 
Oct 2014
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
You won't get the same - Atmos will be adjusted to your speaker setup, or more accurately what you tell the receiver the setup is. Middle is supposed to be directly above or beside MLP. What is a "little" in front?

I'd be inclined to try top front and back with speakers mounted just below the ceiling to see how that sounds. Height might be giving you a calibrated mix for slightly lower mounted wall speakers.
After doing some research, I thought I'd go with 7.1.2. I've never used this setting. Been hearing from other posters about the overhead audio being in stereo with DSU applied to non atmos material, and I saw that for myself. I have quite a few 7.1 to experience this for myself. I moved the surround back speakers about a foot above my head on the back wall, I decided on top middle above MLP. I ran audyessy calibration again. I was all set to play toy story, when the wife called me out of the movie room to eat.. Not to worry I'm retired, and the room is all mine, so LOOK OUT TUESDAY!!!!!:
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 AM.