Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$30.25
11 hrs ago
1917 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
Gemini Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.68
14 hrs ago
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04

Ultraman X: The Series + The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Midway (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #20221
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

A very recent update on this from CNBC

MGM leads 2020 media acquisition targets as the entertainment world splits into haves and have-nots

Quote:
There is now significant and potentially irreversible inequality in the world of media. If you’re looking for an equalizing force, don’t bet on it happening in 2020.

Two major shifts in the past year have made scale — the concept of being as big as possible — more important than ever for media companies. The first is the transition from linear cable TV to streaming services, which are expensive to build out and run and require premium content to stand out.

The second is major consolidation — Disney buying Fox, Comcast acquiring Sky, AT&T purchasing Time Warner and Viacom merging with CBS — that has put media companies with enterprise valuations under $50 billion at a severe disadvantage to their peers.

The result leaves a handful of companies, including AMC Networks (enterprise value: $5.2 billion), Discovery (~$40 billion), Lions Gate (~$6 billion), MGM (private), Sony Pictures (part of larger company, Sony), and even the merged ViacomCBS (~$25 billion), in positions of relative weakness.

On the other side, Netflix (~$160 billion), Amazon (~$965 billion), Comcast (~$320 billion), AT&T (~$487 billion), Disney (~$315 billion) and Apple (~$1.4 trilion) have all put their flags in the ground in what the media calls The Streaming Wars, an evolution from bundled cable TV to a world of a la carte services that can be watched anywhere on any device. If Comcast, Charter/Time Warner Cable, Dish and DirecTV were the Big 4 of the media distribution world for the past decade, Amazon, Apple, AT&T, Comcast, Disney and Netflix look like the Big 6 of the streaming era.

MGM, in particular, seems like a logical candidate to sell this year. Its owners include Anchorage Capital, Highland Capital and Solus Alternative Asset Management, hedge funds that acquired the company out of bankruptcy in 2010. The funds have made a brilliant decision to sit on their asset for nearly a decade, turning a bankrupt content library into an asset likely worth more than $10 billion, according to people familiar with the matter. And unlike family-owned media companies like AMC (the Dolan family) or ViacomCBS (the Redstone family), the company’s owners are probably less likely to be deterred from selling.

MGM has held preliminary talks with a number of companies, including Apple and Netflix, to gauge their interest in an acquisition, two of the people said. MGM owns the James Bond catalog and its studio has made several current hit shows including “The Handmaid’s Tale,” which streams on Hulu, and “Live PD,” a reality police show that has frequently been the most watched show on cable TV and airs on A&E. It also owns premium cable network Epix. MGM had revenue of more than $1 billion for the first nine months of the year consisting primarily of about $600 million in TV and film licensing revenue and $300 million from Epix subscriptions. For the nine months ended September 30, 2019, MGM reported adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of $123 million.
You can spot a 800 pound Gorilla can't you.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #20222
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
A very recent update on this from CNBC

You can spot a 800 pound Gorilla can't you.
May it slip, fall, and break its neck on this
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #20223
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Apple should put in a bid.

I despair at times. How could that possibly be a good move for lovers of film?
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #20224
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yes seen this same panic before.

Even so, we are only a Golden handshake away from the scenario of having a major studio locked up in the streaming ecosystem.

Ask HD-DVD collectors how well the loss of a major studio goes.

Last edited by Steedeel; Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #20225
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post

I despair at times. How could that possibly be a good move for lovers of film?
Maybe the MGM archives will be opened up to view. Why wait forever to see what in the vault. You know you can't sell media if the stuff never see the light of day to get people interested. Oh wait someone here buys a lot of things blind buy!
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #20226
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Maybe the MGM archives will be opened up to view. Why wait forever to see what in the vault. You know you can't sell media if the stuff never see the light of day to get people interested. Oh wait someone here buys a lot of things blind buy!
So long as they are supporting physical media, I don't care if they did their research thesis on them first or if they bought them all while blind folded.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #20227
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
This is Apple we are talking about. Most of it will need editing to fit their ‘family friendly’ persona. Apple will be very selective over what films they put out there.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #20228
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I do blind buy. I wouldn’t watch a film any other way. My first experience of a film should be in pristine quality. That’s just the way I play it.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #20229
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
This is Apple we are talking about. Most of it will need editing to fit their ‘family friendly’ persona. Apple will be very selective over what films they put out there.
Your way behind the times, those 2018 Family Friendly articles Apple TV+ don't relate to reality. Thats fake news, they let the content writers handle their own scripts. Someone made up a rumor about Tim Cook writing on scripts " Don't be so mean". Look at some of their content being advertised think a 8 year should be watching it?

Personal note, haven't seen anything that would inspire to use AppleTV+ yet.

Last edited by JohnAV; Today at 12:04 AM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (Today)
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #20230
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Your way behind the times, those 2018 Family Friendly articles Apple TV+ don't relate to reality. Thats fake news, they let the content writers handle their own scripts. Someone made up a rumor about Tim Cook writing on scripts " Don't be so mean". Look at some of their content being advertised think a 8 year should be watching it?

I only follow disc.
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #20231
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:

Lots of cool and original content on there. You're missing out, especially at the $4.99 USD per month price.
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #20232
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Tonight I watched my non-anamorphic DVD copy of The Abyss Special Edition extended cut. I used one of the many zoom settings offered by my Oppo 203 to compensate for the annoying non-anamorphic presentation.

It was a passable viewing experience for a 17 year-old DVD, but damn you James Cameron, and to hell with all of your unwanted Avatar sequels, for not releasing both cuts of this movie (and True Lies) in high definition and, ideally, in 4K. Pull your head out of Avatar's ass long enough to approve the damn completed remasters already. This movie, and True Lies, deserve better than to languish on ancient non-anamorphic dvds!

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 04:49 AM.
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #20233
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Tonight I watched my non-anamorphic DVD copy of The Abyss Special Edition extended cut. I used one of the many zoom settings offered by my Oppo 203 to compensate for the annoying non-anamorphic presentation.

It was a passable viewing experience for a 17 year-old DVD, but damn you James Cameron, and to hell with all of your unwanted Avatar sequels, for not releasing both cuts of this movie (and True Lies) in high definition and, ideally, in 4K. Pull your head out of Avatar's ass long enough to approve the damn completed remasters already. This movie, and True Lies, deserve better than to languish on ancient non-anamorphic dvds!
You do know its eventually coming see https://www.instagram.com/p/Buji4C_gkc_/
This was mentioned in March, promised end of the 2019 approximately, but now Disney has the reins. Disney has a True Lies TV reboot coming to Disney +, imagine True Lies will make it there also.

Last edited by JohnAV; Today at 06:44 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology