Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Backdraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.43
8 hrs ago
Bill & Ted Face the Music (Blu-ray)
$19.99

American Horror Project Vol. 1 (Blu-ray)
$36.49
23 hrs ago
The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast (Blu-ray)
$72.99
42 min ago
He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
$72.99
42 min ago
Horror of Dracula (Blu-ray)
$13.49
1 hr ago
Vigilante 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
22 min ago
Silent Running (Blu-ray)
$29.49
42 min ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
The Godfather Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$23.50

Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #2261

Aug 2016

Yeah, I’m not sure where he was going with that line. Lynch does seem to use this when the Atreides first exit their ship on Arrakis. It creates a stark contrast between the two planets and demonstrates how much they have to adapt to their new home. I wonder if Villeneuve will create differing worlds as unique as Lynch’s. I didn’t get that sense from the trailer.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #2262
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
No such thing.
Sorry Dale, but Lynch pushed the weird element of the film too far when it simply wasn't needed. Even Frank Herbert was taken aback by the strange verbal ticks and mannerisms of Piter De Vries as played by Brad Dourif. Pointless oddity that distances the audience.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #2263
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Sorry Dale, but Lynch pushed the weird element of the film too far when it simply wasn't needed. Even Frank Herbert was taken aback by the strange verbal ticks and mannerisms of Piter De Vries as played by Brad Dourif. Pointless oddity that distances the audience.
I see your point. I liked his character and performance in the movie quite a lot, but it is very different from the cool, manipulative villain in the book. Lynch seems drawn to the bizarre, and I do think he accentuated those elements. I think it made the film very unique and the cult classic that it is, while at the same time pushing the mainstream away. I, for one, think what has been released so far looks amazing on the new film, but I still stand cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #2264
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVH View Post
I see your point. I liked his character and performance in the movie quite a lot, but it is very different from the cool, manipulative villain in the book. Lynch seems drawn to the bizarre, and I do think he accentuated those elements. I think it made the film very unique and the cult classic that it is, while at the same time pushing the mainstream away. I, for one, think what has been released so far looks amazing on the new film, but I still stand cautiously optimistic.
I do think that Villeneuve will have found his own take on the material, whilst bearing in mind the efforts of his predecessors being Lynch and writer/director John Harrison, who is also an Executive Producer on Denis' film. If people have read the Dune Prelude books, you really get to find out how much of a devious, sadistic schemer that DeVries is and then some.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:53 PM   #2265
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Agree...the cat, the blood valves and sores?..however it still comes off as real or more than the mini series. I like how the mini series tackled a lot of the book, but too many times you're reminded you are watching a TV show. Take out some of lynches weirdness, put in more of the book and you have a better movie. Regardless, 1984 dune holds up pretty well i think.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (09-21-2020), Darkstream (09-21-2020), kidglov3s (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #2266
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke smot View Post
Agree...the cat, the blood valves and sores?..however it still comes off as real or more than the mini series. I like how the mini series tackled a lot of the book, but too many times you're reminded you are watching a TV show. Take out some of lynches weirdness, put in more of the book and you have a better movie. Regardless, 1984 dune holds up pretty well i think.
John Harrison's mini-series traded a great cast and mediocre CG for an expanded humanised adaptation of the book. Baron Harkonnen isn't supposed ot be a pantomime villain, and Ian McNeice did a perfect job of portraying him. Visually LynchDune is stunning, with great performances from the major leads. The Spicediver edit is the best version of that film out there, if you can find it.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #2267
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Warner Bros Ends Australia Distribution Alliance With Village Roadshow After Four Decades

Quote:
Warner Bros has called time on its long-lasting partnership with Australian company Village Roadshow after four decades of the latter distributing the studio’s films in the territory.

Roadshow made an announcement to the Australian stock exchange today noting the arrangement would come to a close at the end of this year. Local media is reporting that Warner will strike a new pact with Universal Pictures to carry its films from 2021.

Australia’s largest indie distributor, Roadshow has similar arrangements with FilmNation, in which it is also an investor, as well as Village Roadshow Pictures and STX.

The releaser has seen success with WB titles including Aquaman ($29.5M USD in Aus) and Joker ($28M) last year. Upcoming titles from the studio include Dune, which is currently slated for December 18 in Australia and would thus be under the previous deal with Roadshow, further pandemic disruption allowing.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/warner-...es-1234581074/
Old 09-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #2268
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Bruce Markoe, Imax's senior vp postproduction/operations and digital media remastering, explains that the general parameters for camera certification include that they offer resolution of 4K or higher and could allow the filmmakers to create an aspect ratio for Imax's more square screens (approximately a 1.43:1 aspect ratio) or floor-to-ceiling/wall-to-wall screens (1.90:1). (Imax would like at least some of certified productions to support at least one of these aspect ratios. According to Markoe, Dune will have sections in both of the aspect ratios, and Maverick will have sections in 1.90:1.)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...kers-exclusive
Thanks given by:
StuPod (09-22-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies