Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Vigilante 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
1 hr ago
Backdraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.43
9 hrs ago
American Horror Project Vol. 1 (Blu-ray)
$36.49

He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 hr ago
The Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 hr ago
Bill & Ted Face the Music (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Horror of Dracula (Blu-ray)
$13.49
2 hrs ago
Silent Running (Blu-ray)
$29.49
1 hr ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
The Godfather Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$23.50

Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #361
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervij View Post
I finally heard back from Yamaha yesterday. I had asked them “ I can’t decide between buying the 685 or 780 receivers. What is the difference between them? Can the presence channels be reassigned as front Atmos speakers?”. Here’s their reply:

They’re the same except for warranty, faceplate and 5th foot? So much for Aventage being “a dramatic and inspired leap forward”.
Yeah that was a big debate when the Aventage line released due to Yamaha's claim that the center foot improves audio quality. But really, it's the the 1000 series and higher that start seeing the benefits of the Aventage moniker, which have upgraded - if not better - DACs and processing power. The 700 and 800 series units have Burr-Brown DACs (not that that is a bad thing), and ESS Sabre DACs starting with the 1000 series units and up. While there are RX-V models that are comparable to the 1000 series and higher (just without the 5th foot), those are harder to come by. I've never seen them in a retail store. That said, I did manage to get my hands on an RX-V2085 which is comparable to the RX-A2080, and the only reason why I went with that model was because I got it at a huge discount when it got discontinued last summer, otherwise I'd have gone with an RX-A1080 for the mancave.

I haven't specifically checked what all the benefits are with the xx80 series units starting from the 1080 models and up. But historically, the lower model units also didn't have things like independent crossovers, Cinema DSP HD3 which in my opinion has improved depth to the surround field, angle measurement, and now more recently Surround:AI. Of course it's up to the consumer to decide if these are worthwhile benefits (or if they believe Yamaha about the 5th foot), but I for one much prefer having more crossover control, and I also love the Surround:AI feature to boot. Lastly, Yamaha was the first that I saw on the market that allowed independent control of the subwoofers in the Aventage line, although I don't recall for sure if the RX-V line has that below the 1080 models, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there initially. I think the other brands started doing that too at some point, but in the end I just stuck with Aventage since Yamaha has always been a rock-solid performer for me.

Last edited by red_5ive; 09-18-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
supervij (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #362

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Had the weirdest thing happen this morning. Any video that was routed through the receiver (on passthrough only) came out with wonky colors: blacks became pink, and other weird stuff. I couldn’t figure out how to change the settings to fix it so I sent all video straight to the TV and used the eArc to send all audio back to the receiver. I don’t care about changing things since everything works just fine. But I’m curious: anyone have an idea what happened and how to fix it?
Old 09-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #363
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Maybe a HDMI handshake issue?
Power it all down, then turn on your tv, avr, disc player in that order. Wait a couple seconds between each power up.

There’s definitely some video settings in the menu system that may help. I’m not at home to look at my Yamaha’s. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #364

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I’m running into yet another problem with my A770. The 4K player is hooked up from the player’s HDMI Audio Only Out to the receiver’s HDMI1 input. But every time my Harmony remote sets up the “Watch A Disc” activity, the receiver goes to Audio1 instead of HDMI1. I thought this might be an issue with the Harmony remote but this morning, I’m watching a disc and the receiver is flipping back to Audio1 on its own! I switch it back to HDMI1 and a few seconds later it flips to Audio1 without me doing anything.

I’m completely confused by this behaviour. Can anyone lend some insight into this?

EDIT: I tried a different HDMI cable going from player HDMI Audio Only Out to receiver HDMI1. The receiver still flips to Audio1 for some reason. I also tried it on the other HDMI inputs in the receiver; it always flips to Audio1.

EDIT2: I flipped HDMI Control back to Off, that seems to have solved the problem!

Last edited by supervij; 09-23-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #365
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervij View Post
I’m running into yet another problem with my A770. The 4K player is hooked up from the player’s HDMI Audio Only Out to the receiver’s HDMI1 input. But every time my Harmony remote sets up the “Watch A Disc” activity, the receiver goes to Audio1 instead of HDMI1. I thought this might be an issue with the Harmony remote but this morning, I’m watching a disc and the receiver is flipping back to Audio1 on its own! I switch it back to HDMI1 and a few seconds later it flips to Audio1 without me doing anything.

I’m completely confused by this behaviour. Can anyone lend some insight into this?

EDIT: I tried a different HDMI cable going from player HDMI Audio Only Out to receiver HDMI1. The receiver still flips to Audio1 for some reason. I also tried it on the other HDMI inputs in the receiver; it always flips to Audio1.

EDIT2: I flipped HDMI Control back to Off, that seems to have solved the problem!
I've always had issues with HDMI control on all my AVRs/processors I tried it on, and I also specifically had the same problem you had with the source switching. So I always just disable HDMI control and let my Harmony do all the work, and since most AVRs now can do passthrough source switching while in stand by mode, I don't have a need for it. Just too many headaches otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Yesterday), supervij (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #366

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I want to leave HDMI Control set to Off because then my two sources (player and DVR) will play properly. But when I watch Netflix (done through the TV to make it easier for my wife), I get sound only when HDMI Control is switched On. But I wanna find a way to have volume when HDMI Control is Off.

I’ve got an HDMI cable going from the TV’s eArc to the receiver’s HDMI Out arc channel. For Netflix, I set up my Harmony to go to the TV’s HDMI 3 (eArc) and the receiver...I don’t know what input to set the receiver to. There isn’t a selection for HDMI Out. Heck, it’s not really on the receiver’s remote either, except for a button that just enables or disables the HDMI Out, which I’ve left as enabled.

I’ve been over it and over it and I just don’t know what to set the receiver to to get sound from the TV to the receiver. Please can someone suggest settings and how to hook things up so we can watch Netflix through the TV and have sound going from the TV to the receiver and then to the speakers?

Last edited by supervij; Yesterday at 02:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM   #367
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

I stopped using ARC altogether and just connected a optical cable when I was using my TVs smart features. But eventually I gave up on that due to my TV manuf. stopping support for software updates. I ended up just buying a Roku Ultra and it has been bliss ever since.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #368

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I stopped using ARC altogether and just connected a optical cable when I was using my TVs smart features. But eventually I gave up on that due to my TV manuf. stopping support for software updates. I ended up just buying a Roku Ultra and it has been bliss ever since.
It’s so frustrating to have this function and not being allowed to use it. I’m just gonna use the optical digital audio out from the TV for now. Thanks for chiming in, red_5ive. Your help has been invaluable this past week.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers