Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen (PS Vita)
$29.99

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower Of Fortune And The Dice Of Fate (PS Vita)
$18.49

Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

Muv-Luv Alternative (PS Vita)
$39.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$26.49

Lost Child (PS Vita)
$26.20

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable

Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
Default Sony killing Youtube, Near and Maps App on the Vita

Several more reasons not to bother with a Vita. Sony is killing support for several apps in the coming months

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/...ar-and-youtube

Quote:
Sony is to stop support for Maps, YouTube and elements of Near in the coming PS Vita updates.

All of the features in Maps, and some of the features found in the Near app – like locations or displaying maps – will be disabled and removed completely via a system software update expected in March.

As for the YouTube app, Sony said support will cease from April 20, although the application will be unavailable for download from the PlayStation Store as of January 28.

Sony is quick to point out if you’re a YouTube user, the Vita’s browser will still offer access to the video-streaming service.

No reasons have been given for the removal, but we’ve reached out to Sony and if we hear anything, we’ll let you know what’s what.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Jul 2009
Ridge, NY

I use my Vita a lot, and I can tell you those where the must useless applications on it. Really who looks at the maps app on their Vita? With map apps on phones and tablets really no need for it. Near, was also a useless app. Nice to see who is near you and what they are playing, but not really needed. You Tube, you can view in the browser if you want too.
Thanks given by:
sam305 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchaman2025 View Post
I use my Vita a lot, and I can tell you those where the must useless applications on it. Really who looks at the maps app on their Vita? With map apps on phones and tablets really no need for it. Near, was also a useless app. Nice to see who is near you and what they are playing, but not really needed. You Tube, you can view in the browser if you want too.
Well not everyone has a Smartphone including myself. (Though I haven't got around to buying a Vita yet, but will eventually). But that's a different story. So if I had a Vita, I would use those apps.
Thanks given by:
Brian81 (02-08-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Jul 2009
Ridge, NY

True, I see your point, but you can still access Google Maps through the browser as well as You Tube. The only app that does not have a replacement is Near.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchaman2025 View Post
True, I see your point, but you can still access Google Maps through the browser as well as You Tube. The only app that does not have a replacement is Near.
It still doesnt say much for Sony's confidence or support of Vita for them to get rid of these apps.

I always prefer a dedicated app over going to a company's website for that functinality
Old 02-08-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

The Map app is really easy to use. Using the browser is more cumbersome. Disappointed to here it go. Near? Sounds useless, though it'd be a decent GPS-like feature if you had the 3G model which I think uses cell phone towers?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Canada 🍁

Removing three useless apps is several reasons to avoid a solid handheld? Maybe if people wouldn't have kept coming up with such absurd reasons to not buy one Sony would be supporting it better than they have.

The only things I am wondering is how the equally useless e-mail app is surviving and why parental settings isn't just put into the normal settings. But these things don't bug me as much as when it had the 100 bubble limit and they kept forcing new useless apps on us that used one of those.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I never used them anyway
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable