Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$131.79
9 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Abominable 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
6 hrs ago
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.96

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.60
1 hr ago
Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #21
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

One of the greatest films ever made. A terrific announcement that should be a wonderful start to even more Miyazaki in 4K.
Thanks given by:
0din (11-16-2019), bluescholar (11-17-2019), daycity (11-17-2019), professorwho (11-14-2019), reanimator (11-14-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #22

Jul 2018

In spite of 4K Cobra's annoying, Funi's DBZ-like filtering, the image did at least look very "detailed" in some ways, such as the visibility of holes on the lines of the animation cel:

2K BD vs 4K BD
[Show spoiler]

These Lupin UHD remasters and the Gundam ones don't look like this. They're way more blurry and soft so I worry even HDR won't make it watchable like it did for Cobra.

Heck, the Gundam 4K movies even look like upscales to me, the way they're so soft and some line art is extremely smeary while others are sharp:
[Show spoiler]

From what I've seen, the Lupin UHDs seem more like this than the Cobra 4K.

And those gundam shots are static scenes, so some of those lines being smeared isn't motion blur smearing as part of the animation...it is literally just some lines being black while others look smeary as hell...very unfortunate. (Thogh I should compare it with the 2K BD for that gundam movie to make sure.)
Thanks given by:
fuzzymctiger (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

I own the Mamo UHD and it’s about on par with Cobra in terms of DNR/grain-management.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #24

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
I own the Mamo UHD and it’s about on par with Cobra in terms of DNR/grain-management.
yeah looking at some Mamo screenshots, the image is fairly close to being as sharp as Cobra, rather than the softness of the Gundam UHD movies and Cagliostro.

But Castle of Cagliostro looks like it has a similar issue, of inconsistent line density, to the Gundam UHD above, but not as extreme:

[Show spoiler]

Though this might be something that looks better with HDR
Old 11-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

No, the Gundam catalog UHDs (Char's Counterattack and F91) are native 4K remasters based off of 5K scans of an interpositive (which might explain some lack of clarity- if the OCN was used, it would look better, but Bandai just does what they do).
Old 11-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #26

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
No, the Gundam catalog UHDs (Char's Counterattack and F91) are native 4K remasters based off of 5K scans of an interpositive (which might explain some lack of clarity- if the OCN was used, it would look better, but Bandai just does what they do).
Just saying it has the look of an upscale to me because that exact look of some lines being pretty solid black, while so many are blurry and smeary is the textbook look of my old crappy AviSynth upscale scripts (on Hokuto no Ken):
[Show spoiler]

But it could just as equally be native 4K-5K scans which are bad enough for them to use "enhancement" filters like this and think it's an improvement

Last edited by Enigmo_1; 11-17-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (11-17-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #27
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
For Castle of Cagliostro, TMS themselves handled the remaster, if I remember correctly, so when Ghibli licensed it for their own line of Blu-rays they used the materials they were given. Panasonic and Ghibli just handled disc production and distribution.

As for them (Panasonic) doing all the titles, only the Japanese releases were handled by them in terms of compression. When brought outside Japan, each distributor made their own encode, with few exceptions (one being Discotek's own Cagliostro- the only Ghibli 1:1 clone in North America).
Are you sure the Disney Ghiblis weren’t the same as the Japanese releases? I think those were dual territory discs that were sold in both regions. I know the rights have reverted since though.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Are you sure the Disney Ghiblis weren’t the same as the Japanese releases? I think those were dual territory discs that were sold in both regions. I know the rights have reverted since though.
They are different encodes. The most drastic comparison is Whisper of the Heart- the Disney BD has an average Bitrate of 17.95 mbps, while the Japanese release averages 32.92 mbps. Both use the same master, but the encodes are different.
Thanks given by:
David M (11-21-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies