Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
$24.99
15 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.89

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$56.99

DC Graphic Novel and DCU MFV Uber Collection: Volume 2 (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Breakthrough (Blu-ray)
$19.96

NOVA: The Planets (Blu-ray)
$23.29
19 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Mothra (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Space Runaway Ideon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #121
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
So after putting just over 30 hours on this television since December 26th, I’ve had a good amount of time to assess this television and what it does right, what it does wrong… well, my particular set anyway.

My eyes have picked up on one side of the screen being a little warmer or having a little more red push than the other side. You put up a white screen and you have to really look with discerning eyes I think in order to notice it, but it’s a thing. I only noticed it because I was watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid with my son, and when there were those ‘looks like a piece of lined paper because it’s coming from the kid’s journal’ scenes, it sort of caught my eye. However, I understand this wouldn’t be noticeable to anyone but me, and in real world usage, I had to watch my C8 nearly 30 hours just to notice it. So, in my opinion, it’s a non-issue. No television is perfect, and after trying four LCD’s this year with various issues on/with their panels, this sort of thing is extremely easy to overlook.

As far as flashing or anything weird happening during playback, the only real ‘what just happened’ moment I had was near the end of Harry Potter on 4K Blu-ray. There was a fade to black, but instead of going to black, it sort of had the screen light up to a hazy gray, not dissimilar to what you’d see with blooming on an LCD… and by ‘screen’ I mean completely within the cinema bars. The cinema bars remained black. But something about that part of the encode made the television react in an odd way to that transition. There was also one moment in La La Land 4K where I think there was a brief ‘flash’ when there was a transition from plenty of light to virtually no light but what was on the main character, but it wasn’t bright/white. It wasn’t enough to bother me in the least. I popped in my Skyfall Blu-ray disc out of curiosity and went to the noted time stamp where the issue has occurred for some, and it hasn’t done anything wonky for me.

Definitely see vertical banding on some of those low percentage gray slides but I cannot see this during any normal usage, so there’s really no reason to care about it, in my personal opinion. I think the only time I’ve even seen a hint of the vertical banding was when I’m looking at the murkier sea water in the game Sea of Thieves, and even then it’s extremely minor and I barely notice it.

Some people seem to hate the way OLED’s natively handle motion, but I turned off the trumotion stuff on the C8 and it looks good enough to me. Not turning any of that back on.

So my C8 certainly has ‘flaws’, if you want to call them that, but this is by far the best television I’ve ever owned. The perfect blacks in the 99.9 content I’ve experienced actually seem to bring out a hair more detail on my discs, both 4K and Blu-ray… probably because the television’s image doesn’t have to compensate for a back-end light source like an LCD does.

So, my initial impression of this television stands: It’s a stunner.
So you're an OLED owner now. I seem to remember you swapped your Z9F for a X900F last year IIRC? Guess that also didn't work out?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #122
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
So you're an OLED owner now. I seem to remember you swapped your Z9F for a X900F last year IIRC? Guess that also didn't work out?
I went through two Z9F’s and two 900F’s before walking away from Sony. Had experienced too much light bleed, light leakage, a shadow spot on one panel, and a permanent spot where light was shining through on another. That’s why I went with OLED finally.

Which has had its own issues.

So I mentioned before that I saw some gray/haze in very specific scenarios. After consuming more content, I’ve discovered that with certain black levels, my screen is basically brighter on the left hand side than the right. I don’t see it too often, but I was seeing it enough. During black loading screens on certain video games, while watching Sopranos Blu-rays, certain night sky shots in films (Lady Bird comes to mind), and so on.

The C8 has also experienced some macroblock-like ‘flashing’… it’s pretty easy to find info about it online. Lots of people affected, so much so that Forbes’ John Archer and calibrator Vincent Teoh reported on it and LG were on the case.

They released new firmware on their website near the end of last week, and the results are… interesting.

The flashing is gone (this really only happened with lower bitrate content that was being streamed). Also… my black levels are now uniform on the content I was having trouble with before, although it seems to come at the expense of some black crush. I’m experimenting with raising brightness a click or two and next I’ll see if just raising the luminance of the 5% IRE does a better job. Overall, I’ll take this little bit of black crush I guess over the ‘hey, half the screen is brighter than the other half’, because that’s wayyyy more noticeable during viewing.

This television went from being a pain to being something I can totally live with… but it does seem like LG really screwed the pooch with 2018 panels… and yes, this ‘flashing’ thing most people have been complaining about affects other brands too, since LG makes all those panels. Those companies have to issue their own firmware fix, but LG are the only ones that have implemented a ‘fix’ thus far, or even acknowledged the problem, for that matter. It’s just astonishing to me that this stuff escaped quality control and their way to fix it is to basically tell the television, ‘hey, black levels in these trouble spots need to be pushed down the black level chain a bit so it’s no longer noticeable’, at the expense of the image overall. Ah well.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (03-25-2019), MechaGodzilla (03-25-2019), Thorbiddles (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 AM   #123

Apr 2015
Plain Ol, TX

Got a 65 inch LG C8 this weekend and got it set up. Watched a little bit on it, less than 3 hours. I was finishing some set up options today and put it on GoT (wanted to see how it handled the Battle of Winterfell). As I was watching, I noticed a very small, white pixel. I looked closely to make sure it wasn’t a foreign object, and it is a pixel. Pretty obvious on black (especially night scenes) and it’s stayed visible for a bit when I turned it off. I’m running the pixel refresher to see if that helps, but has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #124
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakcul View Post
Got a 65 inch LG C8 this weekend and got it set up. Watched a little bit on it, less than 3 hours. I was finishing some set up options today and put it on GoT (wanted to see how it handled the Battle of Winterfell). As I was watching, I noticed a very small, white pixel. I looked closely to make sure it wasn’t a foreign object, and it is a pixel. Pretty obvious on black (especially night scenes) and it’s stayed visible for a bit when I turned it off. I’m running the pixel refresher to see if that helps, but has anyone else experienced this?
That have not happen with mine. Here's some advise, stop looking for flaws because you were certainly find some. Now, I'm talking about flaws like black crush and burn-in because those clearly visible.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #125

Apr 2015
Plain Ol, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
That have not happen with mine. Here's some advise, stop looking for flaws because you were certainly find some. Now, I'm talking about flaws like black crush and burn-in because those clearly visible.
I get that, but this tv is brand new and has a pixel out, almost dead center. It’s white and very visible on black. It even stays on for a minute when I turn it off.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #126
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

It's obviously a faulty panel with a stuck pixel, you need to talk to where you bought it. Sometimes they can be fixed if it isn't totally dead.

Before Auditor55 jumps on it again with the usual negativity, this can happen on LCD as well. It's unfortunate when it happens on more expensive screens, but it isn't indicate of OLED technology as a whole.
Thanks given by:
evoll (05-15-2019), HeavyHitter (05-16-2019), jakcul (05-17-2019), KcMsterpce (05-15-2019), Robert Zohn (05-15-2019), Wingman1977 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #127
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
It's obviously a faulty panel with a stuck pixel, you need to talk to where you bought it. Sometimes they can be fixed if it isn't totally dead.

Before Auditor55 jumps on it again with the usual negativity, this can happen on LCD as well. It's unfortunate when it happens on more expensive screens, but it isn't indicate of OLED technology as a whole.
Please tell me what I said to him was negative?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 AM   #128

Apr 2015
Plain Ol, TX

Thanks for the advice. I got up with LG and am gonna have someone come look at it. It’s pretty small, but I notice it and feel like it shouldn't be there in the first place.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion