Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96
3 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99
23 hrs ago
The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34
14 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

May 2009
Default Headphone suggestions...?

I have had for the last several years a set of RCA headphones that have performed admirably and I have been very happy with. Unfortunately I believe the time has come to replace my old friend with a new set of headphones.
I'm asking anybody and everybody for suggestions on what they believe are the best performing set of headphones that I could purchase. Not necessarily the most expensive or the cheapest. I really covet your opinions.
So far I have looked at the Pioneer SE-DIR800C (around $300.00, yikes!) and the Sennheiser RS130 (around $100-150.00). I prefer a wireless set, but am not against buying a corded set either.
My biggest complaint is the rechargeable batteries. My RCA I can just pop a couple of AA's and I'm good to go, while the rechargeables I have to wait to burn down the charge before having to wait another 10-20 hours in order to use them again. I use my headphones quite a lot, so you can see my problem.
Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

There are several threads about headphones around, so you should be able to get decent choices for consideration. Here is one thread to start you off:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=77043

Look at the last post. Heaphone Czar is really into headphones and maybe a PM to him would help you out.

John
Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

May 2009
Toronto, ON Canada

I have a set of AKG K240 headphones that I love, but they're wired so I recently purchased a "cheaper" pair of Sennheiser RS116, which are wireless. The difference (e.g. sound quality, comfort) is noticeable. It seems to me that, if you're going to go wireless, you should probably invest in a better pair (such as the Sennheiser RS 130) so that you are not tempted (as I was) to go back to the wired pair. The only thing with my AKG K240 is that (due to, I think, the very high impedence of 600ohms), they do not get very loud (although the sound is always crisp and clear) so a good headphone amp may be required. I suggest you take you current pair with you when you go shopping to compare. AKG also make some nice (and comfortable) looking wireless headphones so check them out, too.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Banned

Apr 2009

I'm looking for some headphones to play games with on my computer, and possibly use other places. I originally wanted wireless headphones cause i hate wires, but i've also started paying attention to noise cancelling headphones. There's a lot of background noise around here, my gf playin music in my room etc. I keep thinkin how nice it would be to hear what i'm doin. and ONLY.. what i'm doin. So i haven't decided wireless or noise cancelling yet.

Home Theater Seats Home Theater Seating Movie Theater Chairs Used Home Theater Chairs

Last edited by theater seats chairs; 05-22-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: for Spelling check
Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

May 2009
Republic of Texas

I have the Pioneer IR headphones you refer to (SE-DIR800C)...and they are spectacular. They come with rechargeable AA batteries (they have to be removed from the headset and placed in the base unit), but accept regular AA batteries that last quite a while - this is what I typically use. The price is a little overwhelming, but IMHO, VERY WELL worth it. They are crystal clear and sound amazing. Obviously, since they are IR, they require LOS, but for sitting and watching a movie or playing video games, they're just fine. They are over-the-ear and fairly lightweight, making them comfortable for extended periods of time.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #6

Oct 2008

I bought the Audio Technica ATH-A700 (corded) for about $120 on Amazon (great return policies). Sealed phones, so they block noise pretty well and they sound great. Review:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...a_ath_a700.htm

Very very comfortable.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #7

Jun 2009

I use my headphones quite a lot
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Silicon Valley

I definitely recommend that you use the search function. This topic has been discussed several times over the past couple of years and there is some great information.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #9

Apr 2009
washington(state)

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ones/index.jsp

i am a bit of a bose hater and dislike most products they sell but. i have owned these for about two years now and use the crap out of them. i use them them for watching movies on my computer through netflix and it makes a massive difference over the built in computer speakers. i use them the most with my ipod and they sound amazing. clean lows crisp highs. they usually have them on demo at target so go take a listen. i highly recommend them
Old 06-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #10

May 2009
Hebron, North Dakota.... Tucson Az.

I use grado SR80's 7 hours a day in the office and love them. Very nuetral and detailed. LOVE THEM. Someday Ill upgrade to a higher model only because I get so much use out of them is how I guess I will justify the cost.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion