Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$39.95
 
Saw: The Final Chapter 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.03
2 hrs ago
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.59
2 hrs ago
Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26
 
IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.92
12 hrs ago
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.83
 
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #3561
Unblinking Stare Unblinking Stare is offline
Member
 
Unblinking Stare's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Bay Area
2
100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertec View Post
I'd also consider the Quest if you're looking to get the Rift S. It's not quite as high clarity, but it can play games and movies standalone and on the PC for the same price as the Rift S. I use it especially while traveling to watch movies on the plane and hotel room. For that it's easier just to rip and then convert and compress to side-by-side. The native MVC is the best quality on the Reverb, but on the Quest or Rift S you wouldn't be able to tell the difference of a half-side by side compressed rip.
Good to know, thanks. I also have the Oculus Go and I've tried converting 3D Blu-rays, but the process is a little convoluted. Glad I caught up with this thread, because now I want to resume my goal of putting a 3D movie on the Go. Last week I finally purchased the Blu-ray ripping software I'd been testing with (Tipard Blu-ray Converter). I was even trying to convert movies for the Nintendo 3DS. Didn't get far with that!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (01-28-2020)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #3562
evertec evertec is offline
Member
 
Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unblinking Stare View Post
Good to know, thanks. I also have the Oculus Go and I've tried converting 3D Blu-rays, but the process is a little convoluted. Glad I caught up with this thread, because now I want to resume my goal of putting a 3D movie on the Go. Last week I finally purchased the Blu-ray ripping software I'd been testing with (Tipard Blu-ray Converter). I was even trying to convert movies for the Nintendo 3DS. Didn't get far with that!
I've used https://www.videohelp.com/software/BD3D2MK3D to convert to the Quest. It's not totally user friendly but it works.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #3563
tripletopper tripletopper is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2017
1
Default

Hey, why is 3d limited to just projectors? Dolby/DTS is considered more am enthusiast
's add on than 3D. In 2009, we were quoted $10k in labor alone for surround sound, vs $120 on Turtle Beach Dolby 7.1/5.1/ Pro Logic to Dolby Headphone converter box plus wireless headphones, and I found cheaper ways since.

Unfortunate the fewer 3D fans cannot agree on a particular tech. Most think 3D has to be married to a TV set. Most movie lovers would like a 3D to be unified with an expensive oled, qled, 60 inches +, 4k 240 hz, 40 bit color.

I, as a gaming fan first and s movie fan second, would like a 20-24 inch HDMI compatible CRT TV with 3D mode.

I can think of a way that can happen for all of us, one way with a quadi-polar technology, and one with a shutter.

The shutter soultion is easy: make the TV display alternate frames and sync glasses to it. The only new wrinkle is compensating for TV ping. Almost exactly likrs Srlega Master System Sega Scope, except for more than SMS games.

But some people prefer the polar system. Unfortunately, there is no way to add an alternate row/alternate column/ checkerboard polar screen easily by yourself. You have to buy on for your specific model. And you need pro installing.

A compromise would be a shuttered polar shield placed in front of the TV. But buy a shield for a general size range, and use alternate frames instead of alternate rows, columns, or checkerboarding, sync the shield with the TV, and you have and Active Polar system. But instead of USB charging or a AAA battery, plug the shield in the power box with a wall wart.

3 things which require perfection with a DIY passive polar add-on shield, perfect xy centering, perfect 90 degree angle orientation, and smoothness, will be remove with passive Polar Shield.

That's how you DIY a polar add-on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #3564
VonMagnum VonMagnum is offline
Special Member
 
VonMagnum's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

With HDMI 2.1 finally coming out and the bandwidth it provides, that device that turned any set into a 3D TV might actually work halfway well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #3565
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
With HDMI 2.1 finally coming out and the bandwidth it provides, that device that turned any set into a 3D TV might actually work halfway well.
Hi von,

You got a point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:21 AM   #3566
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Hi guys

Try not to get so down thinking the days of 3D Blu-ray are just about over.

Ralph Kramden was down but Ed Norton had the right, positive attitude:

"Look, just don't get upset. You're gettin' all upset now. Let's calm down and look nice when we get down there. There's no sense in getting upset. Now listen, the boys in the sewer, there, when we get upset we got a little motto - a little saying that gives us a little comfort in time of need. Maybe, I can pass it on to you. May I favor you with this little ode?

"When the tides of life turn against you, and the current upsets your boat. Don't waste those tears on what might have been, just lay on your back and float."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (01-21-2020), robtadrian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #3567
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi guys

Try not to get so down thinking the days of 3D Blu-ray are just about over.

Ralph Kramden was down but Ed Norton had the right, positive attitude:

"Look, just don't get upset. You're gettin' all upset now. Let's calm down and look nice when we get down there. There's no sense in getting upset. Now listen, the boys in the sewer, there, when we get upset we got a little motto - a little saying that gives us a little comfort in time of need. Maybe, I can pass it on to you. May I favor you with this little ode?

"When the tides of life turn against you, and the current upsets your boat. Don't waste those tears on what might have been, just lay on your back and float."
What’s the state of play Joe? Do we still have big blockbusters coming out this year? I guess when they stop, the 3DFA would have to sell every new release very well to keep those discs coming.

My plan is buying far more 3D titles and then watching 12 a year spread over 12 weeks (movie nights) That way I still have 3D films to enjoy for the next 3-4 years regardless. Does that sound desperate or a good idea? . I still have many 3D titles to pick up such as Fantastic Beasts and Tin Tin.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #3568
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
What’s the state of play Joe? Do we still have big blockbusters coming out this year? I guess when they stop, the 3DFA would have to sell every new release very well to keep those discs coming.

My plan is buying far more 3D titles and then watching 12 a year spread over 12 weeks (movie nights) That way I still have 3D films to enjoy for the next 3-4 years regardless. Does that sound desperate or a good idea? . I still have many 3D titles to pick up such as Fantastic Beasts and Tin Tin.
Hi Steed,

If not on my back floating, I calculate I can watch one 3D every other day and not repeat it for three years. So feel like those who prepared spending the rest of their lives in a bomb shelter.

BTW - was the Honeymooners broadcast in Great Britain?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #3569
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Steed,

If not on my back floating, I calculate I can watch one 3D every other day and not repeat it for three years. So feel like those who prepared spending the rest of their lives in a bomb shelter.

BTW - was the Honeymooners broadcast in Great Britain?
I had to look it up Joe. Way before my time i’m afraid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 AM   #3570
VonMagnum VonMagnum is offline
Special Member
 
VonMagnum's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Default

I just ordered two more 3D titles. I think that will bring me to 214.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #3571
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I had to look it up Joe. Way before my time i’m afraid.
Hi steedeel,

They're classics here even 65 years later with later generations Look up on you tube for some clips.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #3572
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi steedeel,

They're classics here even 65 years later with later generations Look up on you tube for some clips.
Will do Joe. I will tell you what I do love from past years. The original Twilight Zone. Got the entire series on Blu-ray. Comedy wise, I love Laurel And Hardy also.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (01-23-2020), robtadrian (01-28-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #3573
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Will do Joe. I will tell you what I do love from past years. The original Twilight Zone. Got the entire series on Blu-ray. Comedy wise, I love Laurel And Hardy also.
Hi steedeel,

Well, Stan Laurel was English so half the team was from your side of the pond!

Did you see the film "Stan and Ollie"? Highly recommended, even if not 3D!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
emailking (01-23-2020), Steedeel (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #3574
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi steedeel,

Well, Stan Laurel was English so half the team was from your side of the pond!

Did you see the film "Stan and Ollie"? Highly recommended, even if not 3D!
Yeah, I thought it was quite good Joe. Some good tributes to certain classic scenes.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (01-23-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #3575
tripletopper tripletopper is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2017
1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
With HDMI 2.1 finally coming out and the bandwidth it provides, that device that turned any set into a 3D TV might actually work halfway well.
When I search "3d add on device", Google brings up many "desoaping" websites to turn 60hz shows into 30 hz.

If desoaping is popular, and enough TV producers prefer 30 hz for a more realistic look anyway, and the retro x.2, x.3 etc stations have 30 Hz mode already, why not make a tag "L/R" if the director's main eye is the left eye, and "R/L" if the director's main eye is the right. First 30 x 2 eye will fit in current ATSC bandwidth standards, second if would make a 3D broadcast 2D friendly, and adding a shutter signal to signal glasses / active polar shield would make ANY TV 3D TV..

By the way, not to nitpick, but isn't Video Wizard a full color 3d to red and cyan converter? Yes that's the "budget option", but for my ideas to work, you have to have a "post processing video sync signal". Luckily, I know 2 ways you can do that: an ARC signal. and in non-ARC TVs, enbed a sync signal in the audio.

Last edited by tripletopper; 01-24-2020 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Typos.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #3576
Joe D. Joe D. is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletopper View Post

By the way, not to nitpick, but isn't Video Wizard a full color 3d to red and cyan converter? Yes that's the "budget option", but for my ideas to work, you have to have a "post processing video sync signal". Luckily, I know 2 ways you can do that: an ARC signal. and in non-ARC TVs, enbed a sync signal in the audio.
Hi triple,

As noted, I own the Video Wizard and it does a very good job reproducing the 3D effect. Maybe less dynamic on pop outs but very good on depth and color saturation. The glasses are blue and amber, not red and cyan. Was able to get a new one several years ago for $40, which was a real bargain.

Would rate it as 7.5 compared to my main 3D monitor. Those looking for an inexpensive converter would not be disappointed if they wanted to add 3D to their arsenal.

Unfortunately, it's out of production but proves that decent 3D can be obtained inexpensively and without having to junk a perfectly good flat screen.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (01-24-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 PM.