Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
22 hrs ago
One Cut of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
22 hrs ago
21 Bridges (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

The Color of Pomegranates (Blu-ray)
$18.99
10 hrs ago
Ghost Ship (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Trick 'r Treat (Blu-ray)
$25.58
5 hrs ago
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)
$21.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi
Default Best option for laptop with blu-ray drive?

I'm looking for a laptop I can use to mess around with Unreal Engine 4 development, so modern-ish power is desired. I'd also like it to have an internal blu-ray drive, or at least a DVD drive I can switch out. I tried a few of the big name Customize and Buy shops but it seems they've all retired their optical drive inclusive models, unless someone can point one out?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Most laptops do not have built in Blu-ray/DVD drives anymore. I just got a laptop for Asus this past February. It did not come with a blu-ray/ dvd drive but the screen was 4K so I knew it could play things in HD. What I did was go on Newegg and bought a portable USB blu-ray/DVD burner drive: Here is a link to Amazon for the same product. For some reason the Newegg link goes to a bad link from the forum site: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-X...s%2C194&sr=8-2

Although it cost me an extra $100, I'm able to still play and burn blu-ray and dvd discs like my old Sony Vaio that my Asus replaced. That's the best bet anymore since, like you said, most companies have gotten rid of their optical drives.

Last edited by PUsokrJosh305; 05-18-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT

I'm starting to think it might be my only choice. How big and bulky are the drives tho? I still might look around for an internal option as that would work best when using it on a train, which I anticipate doing sometimes.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I'm starting to think it might be my only choice. How big and bulky are the drives tho? I still might look around for an internal option as that would work best when using it on a train, which I anticipate doing sometimes.
The drive isn't bulky at all. Very slim and easy to use. But I would not recommend using it on a train. I'm sure any type of vibration or movement would screw up the disc inside it or the drive itself. Reminds me of the portable CD player days. Anyways, if you can get a hold of a built in one, go for it since you have more control. Otherwise, you might have to wait till you get somewhere to use it, like at home or a coffee shop, etc. beautiful thing is, you can just plug it into the computer and it works. You have a power option if you wanted to use that but it can be powered by a computer. I've been a huge fan of it so far!
Old 05-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT

I found one option with a DVD drive I could swap out, trouble is: it's on the heavy side, and I've seen how that can take a toll on my legs after a while.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software