Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Léon: The Professional 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99
21 hrs ago
Onward 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.00
2 hrs ago
Why the Hell Are You Here, Teacher!?: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Split Second (Blu-ray)
$25.49
16 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Twelfth Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.09
18 min ago
Gretel & Hansel (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Onward (Blu-ray)
$20.00
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #1

Dec 2013
Default Region B Locked In The US

I've bought a few Region B locked by accident and when I put them in my player it says "This disc can not be read/played" something like that.

I bought A Lonely Place to Die at a flea market and it's Region B Locked. BUT, when I put it in my player the "can not play" did not pop up. A regular "This blu ray is made to the highest standard" comes on and then the disc does not play. I tried pressing the menu and pop up menu button and nothing happens.

Since the player is reading something on the disc, is there a way to get to the menu or movie that I'm not thinking of?

Thank You!
Thanks given by:
Thomas Irwin (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlutz View Post
I've bought a few Region B locked by accident and when I put them in my player it says "This disc can not be read/played" something like that.

I bought A Lonely Place to Die at a flea market and it's Region B Locked. BUT, when I put it in my player the "can not play" did not pop up. A regular "This blu ray is made to the highest standard" comes on and then the disc does not play. I tried pressing the menu and pop up menu button and nothing happens.

Since the player is reading something on the disc, is there a way to get to the menu or movie that I'm not thinking of?

Thank You!
A blu-ray player locked to Region A will not play a Region B disc. The error message that you get, or lack thereof, will not change the result: the movie will not play. The tiny files on the disc containing things like those little messages may not necessarily be region coded, and that is why they appear, but if the movie itself is region coded it will not play on a player locked to a different region.

Last edited by Vilya; 03-29-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
vanlutz (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

Dec 2013

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-
-

There are some tricks that worked on a handful of older players, mostly Panasonic, but I'm not sure if they still work with any newer models. I still use my Panasonic DMP-BD65, and prior to me getting a cheap Seiki player, I had little trouble getting it to work for most region B discs I had tried. I have not tried one on it in years though.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...nasonic+region
Thanks given by:
vanlutz (03-30-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #5
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

^ The newer Panasonic players still have this capability. I just bought a new Panasonic DP-UB420K and it can play most Region B locked stuff by pushing "top menu" or other combinations (such as "stop, top menu, top menu").
Old 05-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2009

one reliable trick, works every time 220-electronics
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (05-10-2020), RBBrittain (05-20-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
one reliable trick, works every time 220-electronics
Bought my first of two region-free players from 220 Electronics via eBay almost 2 years ago. They are cheap ($99 each) and reliable. My only question is why I didn't buy one sooner.
Thanks given by:
RBBrittain (05-20-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:13 AM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2012
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlutz View Post
when I put them in my player it says "This disc can not be read/played" something like that.
Annoying, but it is because some distributors only have rights/license to distribute BD media in particular regions, though a loophole/incentive is for people to upgrade to 4K.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

I got a region free chip for my Oppo UBD-203. Super easy to install (no soldering, just plug it into the mainboard) and you just change the region code when you start up and it stays that way until you change it back.

DVDs change region code automatically, and 4K is region free.

I am watching a ton of UK stuff like the Jackie Chan 88 Films BDs in Region B goodness
Thanks given by:
evoll (05-11-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Bought my first of two region-free players from 220 Electronics via eBay almost 2 years ago. They are cheap ($99 each) and reliable. My only question is why I didn't buy one sooner.
I agree, and I got my LG BP550 from 220 four and a half years ago. Just took it down in replacing my main TV with a 4K set (it will go with the old 3D one), but can hook it back up to the new set for Region B titles; have one on the way.

Hardware-modded region-free players from companies like 220 have proven the most reliable over the years; they're less likely to be affected by industry measures such as firmware updates than other region-free solutions (though a few hardware mods have been affected by firmware updates). 220 is certainly reputable; like most of its seasoned competitors it has a physical address in the Chicagoland area (little help during the pandemic but still a good sign that it will stand behind its products).

One caveat if you buy directly from 220: Most of their initial prices for regular BD players are region-free for DVD only. Be sure to go thru the options and select the BD region-free upgrade, which usually (though not always) costs $40 more. Also, unless you really need both BD/DVD region-free and 4K in the same box I wouldn't buy a region-free 4K player; UHDBD has no region locks at all, and depending on the specific player & features you need it's usually cheaper to get a region-free BD/DVD player from 220 plus a regular 4K player from elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Mid-west Florida USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
I agree, and I got my LG BP550 from 220 four and a half years ago. Just took it down in replacing my main TV with a 4K set (it will go with the old 3D one), but can hook it back up to the new set for Region B titles; have one on the way.

Hardware-modded region-free players from companies like 220 have proven the most reliable over the years; they're less likely to be affected by industry measures such as firmware updates than other region-free solutions (though a few hardware mods have been affected by firmware updates). 220 is certainly reputable; like most of its seasoned competitors it has a physical address in the Chicagoland area (little help during the pandemic but still a good sign that it will stand behind its products).

One caveat if you buy directly from 220: Most of their initial prices for regular BD players are region-free for DVD only. Be sure to go thru the options and select the BD region-free upgrade, which usually (though not always) costs $40 more. Also, unless you really need both BD/DVD region-free and 4K in the same box I wouldn't buy a region-free 4K player; UHDBD has no region locks at all, and depending on the specific player & features you need it's usually cheaper to get a region-free BD/DVD player from 220 plus a regular 4K player from elsewhere.
The Sony 4K upscale and 3D Sony player I bought directly from 220 about 6 or so years ago is working just fine. I use it all the time and have never had trouble. When I need a new one (IF, that is) I will to to 220 again!
Thanks given by:
stratford (05-21-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders