Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
21 hrs ago
One Cut of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
21 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
16 hrs ago
The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

The Color of Pomegranates (Blu-ray)
$18.99
9 hrs ago
Ghost Ship (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Trick 'r Treat (Blu-ray)
$25.58
4 hrs ago
Spaced Invaders (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Patty Hearst (Blu-ray)
$21.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA
Default New Place New Setup

This is my 3.0ch setup in this small apartment. Hoping to move into a house next year and build a dedicated theater.

Display:

Sony XBR-65A1E

Video Source Components:

Oppo UDP-203 - 4K UltraHD player
Apple TV 4K 32GB - 4K streamer
Integra DHS-8.8 - HD-DVD player
JVC HM-DT100 - D-Theater/D-VHS VCR
Pioneer HLD-X0 Hi-Vision/NTSC Laserdisc player

Video Processing:

Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Panasonic TU-MDC100 Muse Decoder

Audio Source Components:

McIntosh MB100 - Digital music player/streamer
Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evo II - Turntable

Audio Processing/Pre-Amp/Power-Amp:

McIntosh MX121 - Home Theater controller
McIntosh Mc207 - 7ch Power amp
McIntosh RFD2 - RF Demodulator

Loudspeakers:

Martin Logan Theos
Martin Logan Stage X

Power:

Audioquest Niagara 7000
Audioquest Niagara 5000
Sbooster BOTW Linear power supplies (for Martin Logan electrostats)
Keces Audio P8 Linear power supply for McIntosh MB100

Cables and Interconnects:

Audioquest Columbia XLR interconnects
Audioquest Rocket 88 Speaker cables
Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable
Audioquest Tornado High Current cables
Audioquest Blizzard Source component cables
Audioquest Coffee digital coax cable
Ghent Audio - Audioquest NRG-2 DC power cables
Audioquest Leopard Phono cable
Audioquest Edison 20 wall outlet
Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cables

Network:

SoTM-Audio sNH-10g Audiophile network switch

Cabinet:

Salamander Design Corsica 237 (Custom painted in gloss white)

Control:

To be determined.... considering Crestron, Control4 and Savant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1C6AA6E-F5ED-4082-954F-F5A59F9EE4AB.jpg (13.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 141E889D-93C9-406F-B9FB-6720DEC6E9BE.jpg (16.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by substance; 05-12-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (05-18-2020), buckeye1 (05-16-2020), SarahS (05-22-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

I'm digging the Mac/Logans combo meal. Well done.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Your apartment and home theater is beautiful, it's nice and clean. With the kind of A/V equipment that you have, you definitely need a house, so you can play it as loud as you want, without getting any potential complaints from your neighbors about your sound system. I know what its like living in apartment with a home theater like yours. You can't enjoy it the way you want to, you'll have to listen to it at a moderate to a low volume. I've been there.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #4

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'm digging the Mac/Logans combo meal. Well done.
Line source, bipolar Electrostats are easy to tame in a small room with very little influence from side walls, ceiling and the floor. I wish I had a full front wall still. This Mac is the most compromised one in their lineup. Ideally, Mac amps with autoformers are better match with the impedence swings of the electrostatic panels. (Or tubes for even better At the volumes I am listening in this apartment, MC207 does fine though.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #5

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Your apartment and home theater is beautiful, it's nice and clean. With the kind of A/V equipment that you have, you definitely need a house, so you can play it as loud as you want, without getting any potential complaints from your neighbors about your sound system. I know what its like living in apartment with a home theater like yours. You can't enjoy it the way you want to, you'll have to listen to it at a moderate to a low volume. I've been there.
We moved from Boston to South Los Angeles two months ago. The plan was to get to know the area and buy a house next year. Itís still going to be a challenge to squeeze out a dedicated home theater room. Houses here are not very big or at least the ones we can afford

The needles on the VU meters hover between 02. And 2 watts on the Mac amp when I listen to music at moderate volumes here. So far no complaints from the neighbors. I originally had 2.0ch only with phantom center in mind for this place. Then I figured with an actual center speaker I can run the center a little hotter to boost dialogs for late night viewings while keeping overall volume low.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
We moved from Boston to South Los Angeles two months ago. The plan was to get to know the area and buy a house next year. Itís still going to be a challenge to squeeze out a dedicated home theater room. Houses here are not very big or at least the ones we can afford

The needles on the VU meters hover between 02. And 2 watts on the Mac amp when I listen to music at moderate volumes here. So far no complaints from the neighbors. I originally had 2.0ch only with phantom center in mind for this place. Then I figured with an actual center speaker I can run the center a little hotter to boost dialogs for late night viewings while keeping overall volume low.
Awesome
Old 05-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
No Cal

Quote:

Very nice setup there substance. Seeing as how I spotted some LD equipment are you the very same substance from lddb.com fame?
Old 05-16-2020, 02:21 AM   #8

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Very nice setup there substance. Seeing as how I spotted some LD equipment are you the very same substance from lddb.com fame?
Yes that's me. I haven't been active here for a few years now. The equipment list above is for whatever I could fit in this apartment. I have the rest stored in a storage nearby. I have a McIntosh MLD-7020, Theta Voyager, Pioneer LD-S2 and a few others for other LD players stored away.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
No Cal

Quote:
Yes that's me. I haven't been active here for a few years now. The equipment list above is for whatever I could fit in this apartment. I have the rest stored in a storage nearby. I have a McIntosh MLD-7020, Theta Voyager, Pioneer LD-S2 and a few others for other LD players stored away.
That's a very nice list you have there. Let me know if you ever need to make some space.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Very clean setup and equipment list. Nice to even see an HD-DVD player out there!
I have the ML Motion series in my apartment, but was considering the electrostats at one point.
Almost every video I've seen or forum I've read suggests that placement is critical. I used to own some Def Tech bipolars and experienced the limitations of not having enough space to work with. Ideally, I would want a dedicated room to be able to have ML stats pulled away from all walls. Maybe some day. For now, we make due with what we have.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #11

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post
Very clean setup and equipment list. Nice to even see an HD-DVD player out there!
I have the ML Motion series in my apartment, but was considering the electrostats at one point.
Almost every video I've seen or forum I've read suggests that placement is critical. I used to own some Def Tech bipolars and experienced the limitations of not having enough space to work with. Ideally, I would want a dedicated room to be able to have ML stats pulled away from all walls. Maybe some day. For now, we make due with what we have.
Itís the front wall and amplification that is very critical. Bi-poles have the sound waves in the front and back of the driver/stator out of phase which cancels the side wall interactions for the most part. I used motions for the side/rears when I had a bigger place before. They sound great. I think you would still benefit from electrostats even in less than ideal placements.

HD had way better titles in the beginning. The format war helped Blu-rays gain momentum. Now there is no competitor to 4K UHD (other than streaming), Sony didnít even care to put a 4K UHD drive in the PS4. I think I have a few HD discs that didnít get a Blu-ray release still. I have over 400 HD-DVDs and donít know how many of them are still playable. Most Warner releases suffer rot (manufacturing defect)
Thanks given by:
nonametofame (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #12
Power Member

Aug 2016

Beautiful setup but no wonder you have an apartment you have a 100k system! :P

Last edited by SarahS; 05-21-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Itís the front wall and amplification that is very critical. Bi-poles have the sound waves in the front and back of the driver/stator out of phase which cancels the side wall interactions for the most part. I used motions for the side/rears when I had a bigger place before. They sound great. I think you would still benefit from electrostats even in less than ideal placements.

HD had way better titles in the beginning. The format war helped Blu-rays gain momentum. Now there is no competitor to 4K UHD (other than streaming), Sony didnít even care to put a 4K UHD drive in the PS4. I think I have a few HD discs that didnít get a Blu-ray release still. I have over 400 HD-DVDs and donít know how many of them are still playable. Most Warner releases suffer rot (manufacturing defect)
Thank you for the advice. I actually just purchased a pair of ESL X's, and this will be my first pair of electrostats. I've been too curious for too long, and I love what the Motion speakers do for home theatre. The ESL X's will be for a dedicated 2 channel setup and paired with a Parasound amp. I hope that combination along with careful placement will allow me to enjoy the benefits.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #14

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post
Thank you for the advice. I actually just purchased a pair of ESL X's, and this will be my first pair of electrostats. I've been too curious for too long, and I love what the Motion speakers do for home theatre. The ESL X's will be for a dedicated 2 channel setup and paired with a Parasound amp. I hope that combination along with careful placement will allow me to enjoy the benefits.
Parasounds mate well with electrostats. ML models in the past 10 years or so have been tilted backwards. This coincides with ML making speakers less than 6 feet tall. They are literally tilted back so that these new speakers sound great when the listener is standing. Your first tweak should be setting them back to 90 degree angle
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #15

Apr 2009
Laguna Niguel, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
Beautiful setup but no wonder you have an apartment you have a 100k system! :P
If I was a single man, I wouldnít have much furniture either. For example, I donít have rear speakers because they werenít wife approved
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries