Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Green Hornet 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.96
19 hrs ago
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.49
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.49
 
The Legend of Hercules 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50
 
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49
 
Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50
 
Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.77
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #101
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
999 affects noticeable visual change in both of these negative Depth Step quadrants with the TV set to default or when +20 and -5 and set back to auto.
And to be clear,
LG OLED is at 20 and (-10) and put in Auto Mode before Exiting setup.
20 and -10 Exit in Auto mode.jpg

Oppo setup:
Oppo Setup - 3D TV Size @ 999.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #102
PRO-630HD PRO-630HD is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Concerning older titles Kiss Me Kate, House of Wax, Dial M for Murder, Jaws 3, etc. there is definitely added depth into the screen and punch out of it. Since these title already had stellar 3D they probably show the least improvement.

Some titles like Jaws 3 and Comin at Ya are borderline too strong to begin with. I do love seeing 3D popouts that you can touch with your fingertips, like the Jaws 3D logo.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-03-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #103
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

From the https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...6#post17627206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
What about your “FORCED & 16” settings? You no longer feel they are necessary given you wrote the 999 settings “completely maximize” the 3D?
I find that all the LG and Oppo 3D settings can be left at default, with the exception of the Oppo "3D TV Size" being set to 999 when connected to an LG 3D OLED.

Last edited by Paul H; 05-12-2020 at 05:47 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #104
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
From the https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...6#post17627206
I find that all the LG and Oppo 3D settings can be left at default, with the exception of the Oppo "3D TV Size" being set to 999 when connected to an LG 3D OLED.
Interesting. I assume comparing the “Forced + 16” plus 999 vs default plus 999, there was no discernible difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #105
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Interesting. I assume comparing the “Forced + 16” plus 999 vs default plus 999, there was no discernible difference.
The last time I had company over for 3D movie night was for "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 3D".
My son and fiancé were part of the audience and they were very familiar seeing 3D movies where I used Tweak 2.0 and Forced + 16 & "3D TV Size" @ 65".

I didn't say a word about changing any settings, but everything was set @ factory default with "3D TV Size" set @ 999 that night.

After starting the movie the first response I heard was a group gasp. Then my son made the statement: "The 3D is deep!" What did you do? And I knew then that 999 was a special find.
I use it for all 3D titles now for the LG Oppo combo and I'm not hearing any eye-fatigue complaints.
Everyone here seems to like it the best.

Last edited by Paul H; 05-13-2020 at 02:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:11 AM   #106
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
The last time I had company over for 3D movie night was for "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 3D".
My son and fiancé were part of the audience and they were very familiar seeing 3D movies where I used Tweak 2.0 and Forced + 16 & "3D TV Size" @ 65".

I didn't say a word about changing any settings, but everything was set @ factory default with "3D TV Size" set @ 999 that night.

After starting the movie the first response I heard was a group gasp. Then my son made the statement: "The 3D is deep!" What did you do? And I knew then that 999 was a special find.
I use it for all 3D titles now for the LG Oppo combo and I'm not hearing any eye-fatigue complaints.
Everyone here seems to like it the best.
Thanks but not sure that confirms my assumption.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #107
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Thanks but not sure that confirms my assumption.
At 999, I think the 3D depth is digitally being fully processed. The 3D I'm experiencing is like comparing two analog photographic 3D images, now fully natural looking, using the full DIGITAL dynamic progressional processing of depth information available on the Blu-ray 3D encode.
The other 3D tweak settings are great; For being a prosthesis for default 15% depth-sampling of the z-plane digital channel, but with 999, nothing needs to be enhanced with what looks like full, 100% depth processing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #108
EddieLarkin EddieLarkin is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
EddieLarkin's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
128
2551
868
1
Default

Very interesting thread.

A few questions. I'm using an Oppo 103 with an LG E6. Which settings should I use, or are all applicable across both the 103 and 203?

Right now I have the Oppo on Forced, 16 and size at 999.

The LG is set to +20 -10 then Auto.

A question about that last setting. Half way through the thread it was +20 -5 and then it became -10. Why the change?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #109
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Very interesting thread.

A few questions. I'm using an Oppo 103 with an LG E6. Which settings should I use, or are all applicable across both the 103 and 203?

Right now I have the Oppo on Forced, 16 and size at 999.

The LG is set to +20 -10 then Auto.

A question about that last setting. Half way through the thread it was +20 -5 and then it became -10. Why the change?
When "Auto" was selected after the Manual settings were set on the LG E6 = (-10 and +20), the totally optimized expanded point structure didn't change when desired focus, via "Auto", aligns at screen depth.

I'm thinking that graph point-structure changes are visually less-effective and harder on the eyes than increasing the percentage (sample rate) to 100% for processing the actual authored depth channel, through the Oppo 3D player's cpu algorithmic calculations, by using the Oppo's 3DTV Size set at the 999 value. And the LG 3D display is responsive to this... = compatible.

Last edited by Paul H; 05-13-2020 at 09:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #110
EddieLarkin EddieLarkin is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
EddieLarkin's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
128
2551
868
1
Default

And what happens if both are implemented?
Does the Oppo 999 setting override the other player settings (Forced, 16) and the LG setting (20+ -10)?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #111
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
And what happens if both are implemented?
Does the Oppo 999 setting override the other player settings (Forced, 16) and the LG setting (20+ -10)?
I don't know.
Recently I've only set "3D TV Size" to 999 and have been very satisfied with LG 3D results..

Experiences/findings are welcome if the 3D does not satisfy.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:34 AM   #112
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I don't know.
Recently I've only set "3D TV Size" to 999 and have been very satisfied with LG 3D results..

Experiences/findings are welcome if the 3D does not satisfy.....
That was my question too...sounds like you feel there is no room for improvement but give it time and I’m sure you’ll get around to testing it!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-14-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #113
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
That was my question too...sounds like you feel there is no room for improvement but give it time and I’m sure you’ll get around to testing it!
That's exactly what/how I feel. The 3D is rendering so perfectly, I don't know how it can be improved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #114
PRO-630HD PRO-630HD is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I don't know.
Recently I've only set "3D TV Size" to 999 and have been very satisfied with LG 3D results..

Experiences/findings are welcome if the 3D does not satisfy.....
So are you now no longer making the +20 -10 auto adjustment on the LG, or Tweak 2.0?

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 05-16-2020 at 12:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #115
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Recently I've only set "3D TV Size" to 999 and have been very satisfied with LG 3D results...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
So are you now no longer making the +20 -10 auto adjustment on the LG, or Tweak 2.0?
LG display 3D settings are currently set at factory defaults..
Only the Oppo "3D TV Size" is set to 999, all other's are at default.

I'm enjoying getting accustom to what I'm experiencing, which will make it possible for me later to be able to recognize any missing sensual trigger if I get motivated and decide to test again. My curiosity takes time to develop.

Just got through watching Valerian 3D and enjoyed the 3D immensely. 3D seems so fresh with what seems like a new progressive flow throughout the 3D image. The same kind of flow I remember when watching 70mm film/(analog) 3D IMAX as a kid. I hope this lasts! And I need more people to make sure they're seeing what I'm experiencing.

Last edited by Paul H; 05-17-2020 at 07:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #116
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
give it time and I’m sure you’ll get around to testing it!
Tested LG's 'Tweak 2.0' with Oppo's 'Forced', '16', & 3D TV Size '999', over this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
And what happens if both are implemented?
Does the Oppo 999 setting override the other player settings (Forced, 16) and the LG setting (20+ -10)?
Found that 999 does not override the other tweaked settings. It intensifies 3D depth where needed the most, like on the beginning landscape scenes on Alita 3D and Ready Player One 3D. Without the additional tweaks those scene layers are hard to recognize, looking almost 2D, and the audience is left with 'wanting-anxiety'.

The tweaks provide the needed layer recognition!

From my observations, just a lens-flair, artificially added at screen-depth, that moves as the virtual camera spans across the landscape, has enough depth-cue for the eyes-mind to contextualize the actual distance from lens/(or screen's) location.

See lens-flair in Alita in the following attachments, where I catch the flair in a black area at the bottom left of the screen.. It's a small round speck of light when using polarized glasses and looks like two specks when captured without polarized glasses.

Flair speck with glasses (bottom left):

Flair speck - no glasses (bottom left):
[Show spoiler]no glasses 1.jpg


Here is a more obvious lens-flair (in blue) caught as it goes across the screen, creating the needed distance to subject and beyond the window.
Ready Player One:

Lens Flair:
[Show spoiler]Blue flair 1.jpg

Last edited by Paul H; 05-18-2020 at 04:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #117
PRO-630HD PRO-630HD is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

I did some testing of my own with Tweak 2.0 999 vs default setting across the board with 999. Default pushes the image out a bit more toward the viewer. Tweak 2.0 has just insane depth into the screen. Tweak 2.1 (2.0 + 999) is the best rendering of 3D from the tweaks made is still my preferred setting. Default 999 reminds me a lot of Tweak 1.0

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 05-20-2020 at 09:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (05-23-2020), Paul H (05-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #118
SPIDERone SPIDERone is online now
Power Member
 
Nov 2009
San Diego, CA
1
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
I did some testing of my own with Tweak 2.0 999 vs default setting across the board with 999. Default pushes the image out a bit more toward the viewer. Tweak 2.0 has just insane depth into the screen. Tweak 2.1 (2.0 + 999) is the best rendering of 3D from the tweaks made is still my preferred setting. Default 999 reminds me a lot of Tweak 1.0
I see a lot of different references to Tweak 1.0, Tweak 2.0, 2.1, etc..
With so many posts, can someone do a breakdown of the best setup in terms of the actual settings?

Right now I've got my Oppo at Forced, +16 and 999 screensize.. LG C6 is set to the +20/-10 (or however it's listed) and Auto.

EDIT: Also, is there a 'recommended' pair of glasses for the LG OLED's? I know the tech is all the same, but are there some that work better than others? (comfort aside)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #119
PRO-630HD PRO-630HD is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2009
1
Default

That is perfect! I am using 3D glasses I took from the theater when I saw a few 3D movies. My LG glasses broke. No differences really.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #120
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
is there a 'recommended' pair of glasses for the LG OLED's? I know the tech is all the same, but are there some that work better than others? (comfort aside)
See: Best passive 3D glasses - recommendations / discussion
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:26 PM.