Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
23 hrs ago
One Cut of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
23 hrs ago
21 Bridges (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Ghost Ship (Blu-ray)
$24.96

The Color of Pomegranates (Blu-ray)
$18.99
11 hrs ago
Trick 'r Treat (Blu-ray)
$25.58
6 hrs ago
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)
$21.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #23321
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
The Go can replicate a theater... I tend to prefer no CGI environment but the option is there.
I"m sure newer is better for VR and maybe the next thing or the one after that will become popular. In the mean time I love the Oculus Go. It's very fun.
The Quest has been successful which is a boost for all VR of course. The PSVR is still the best seller though at this point. Estimates put it at 6 million units sold come December. The Quest will (imo) become the biggest seller over time but competition is great. No doubt the new Half Life played a part as well as the likes of Beat Sabre. I would recommend you give VR gaming a try, it’s really fantastic.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #23322
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I have tried VR Gaming. I love Resident Evil 7 and a few other games. My daughter loves TrackMania via PSVR and the VR Game Room game. I think my gaming days are over but who knows I still have plenty of great games yet unplayed. For now I'm into other stuff.

I am excited about Apple's upcoming VR/AR device.

Reading about the Quest, It's not an upgrade I would turn down but I still think this type of thing will get better and cheaper in short order and I'm glad to have something that works now.

I sometimes think the future is more energy efficiency so I like to keep a bit in touch with VR. We may be headed to a self serve world of isolation... it's sad for younger people.

Last edited by bhampton; 05-22-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #23323

Dec 2014
Georgia

As Steedeel knows I recently purchased an Oculus Rift S. I build my own gaming computers so I wanted something that could take advantage of my graphics card without breaking the bank.

I purchased a PSVR a couple of years ago specifically to watch 3D movies in VR (with gaming on the side of course) but I returned it because the screen door effect ruined the experience for me. I haven't tried the theater mode on the Rift S yet but I know with gaming there is pretty much zero screen door effect.

I still need to purchase an optical drive to rip my discs before I can try out movies on the Rift S. But I will say Half-Life: Alyx is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. Building a game from the ground up for VR makes all the difference.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (05-22-2020), Steedeel (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #23324
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I have tried VR Gaming. I love Resident Evil 7 and a few other games. My daughter loves TrackMania via PSVR and the VR Game Room game. I think my gaming days are over but who knows I still have plenty of great games yet unplayed. For now I'm into other stuff.

I am excited about Apple's upcoming VR/AR device.

Reading about the Quest, It's not an upgrade I would turn down but I still think this type of thing will get better and cheaper in short order and I'm glad to have something that works now.

I sometimes think the future is more energy efficiency so I like to keep a bit in touch with VR. We may be headed to a self serve world of isolation... it's sad for younger people.
I don’t think so. Humans are mostly social Creatures (not me) , meeting people is a vital part of growing up. I don’t see a pandemic ending that, it’s just a bump in the road.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #23325
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
As Steedeel knows I recently purchased an Oculus Rift S. I build my own gaming computers so I wanted something that could take advantage of my graphics card without breaking the bank.

I purchased a PSVR a couple of years ago specifically to watch 3D movies in VR (with gaming on the side of course) but I returned it because the screen door effect ruined the experience for me. I haven't tried the theater mode on the Rift S yet but I know with gaming there is pretty much zero screen door effect.

I still need to purchase an optical drive to rip my discs before I can try out movies on the Rift S. But I will say Half-Life: Alyx is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. Building a game from the ground up for VR makes all the difference.
Building from the ground up gives us experiences that can’t be replicated elsewhere. That’s what VR is all about to me.

I don't know what to make of Apple. On one hand they seem focussed on a discrete pair of Augmented Reality glasses, while on the other hand they are buying up VR tech and start ups like Next VR. Maybe they are planning a future mixed reality headset but it doesn’t seem like their style.
It has me very intrigued regardless. The tide seems to be turning with VR, it’s becoming more mainstream with fitness and dance apps like Beat Sabre and Pistol Whipped, while big hitters include Iron Man, The Walking Dead and of course Half Life.
Very exciting.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #23326
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Best Buy Ups Q1 Home Entertainment Revenue 9.5% - Media Play News - 5/21/20

Quote:
Benefitting from a homebound consumer base due to the coronavirus pandemic, Best Buy May 21 reported a 9.5% increase in domestic entertainment revenue to $554 million for the first quarter ended May 2. That compared to a 12.7% decline in the previous-year period.

The entertainment segment includes DVD/Blu-ray Disc movies, video game hardware and software, books, music CDs and computer software.

International entertainment sales skyrocketed 58% to $58.2 million compared to a 14% decline last year. The largest comparable domestic sales growth drivers were computing and gaming. These growth drivers were more offset by declines in home theater, mobile phones, digital imaging and services.

Domestic online revenue of $3.34 billion increased 155.4% on a comparable basis due to increased traffic. As a percentage of total domestic revenue, online revenue increased 42.2% versus 15.4% last year.

“In the middle of Q1, we shifted all our stores to a curbside-only operating model and were able to retain approximately 81% of last year’s sales during the last six weeks of the quarter, even though not a single customer set foot in our stores,” CEO Corie Barry said in a statement. “The strong sales retention is a testament to the strength of our multi-channel capabilities and the strategic investments we have been making over the past several years.”
That’s very good.

Last edited by JohnAV; 05-22-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #23327
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Interest in Digital Home Entertainment Spread in Pandemic, DEG Speakers Say - Media Play News -5/21/20

Quote:
Staying at home during the pandemic increased digital home entertainment interest across the board — for free VOD, SVOD and TVOD — according to speakers at a virtual DEG Expo May 21.

“We’re seeing in this moment really strong momentum for content consumption, discovery, engagement across our whole ecosystem,” said Google’s Jonathan Zepp. “That’s especially true in our user-facing, consumer businesses. For example, since stay-at-home has been in place, our home entertainment transactional business has seen tremendous growth in consumption, and it’s driven not only by new release, home premiere titles, but also catalog titles that have been wonderful and enjoyed by families together.”

Consumers were also searching for older shows. As consumers began to shelter in place, search queries for “The Sopranos” grew 67%, “Game of Thrones” 36% and “Mad Men” 31%, noted Google’s David Wang.

“If you take even some of these older titles that are evergreen, we’re seeing significant increases in search volume for these titles over the past several months, and they all roughly correlate with the timing of stay-at-home orders,” he said.

Consumers also increased searches for “Marvel movies in order” and — perhaps coming as no surprise — “virus movies.”
Old 05-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #23328
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Variety penned this piece with seems to be more about changing the first-run cinematic business model from the three-month exclusivity window to simultaneous first-run availability in-theater and in-home. Its represents a contradiction of an earlier study that said earlier that 70% of people would return to theaters when safe.

Study Shows 70% of Consumers Would Rather Watch New Movies at Home (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - 5/20/20

Quote:
For weeks now, as COVID-19 restrictions across the country begin to ease (or, in some cases, even where they haven’t), national and local news outlets have relentlessly reported on a seeming torrent of people streaming into public spaces. The coverage points to a common sense understanding: Spending two months sheltering in place with little-to-no human contact has produced an overpowering need for people to gather together outside their homes.

According to an exclusive new study, however, that media coverage belies a deeper truth: Anxiety over health and safety in public spaces still greatly outweighs the desire to leave home, and that disparity has only gotten larger as the pandemic has unfolded. The results — from a survey of roughly 1,000 people in mid-May by sports and events analytics firm Performance Research, in partnership with Full Circle Research Co. — point to just how steep a climb the entertainment industry has in front of it to win back public perception that it’s safe to attend, and spend money on, public events again.

“Just as the country begins to open up there has been a swing toward increasing caution, with a majority of Americans clearly saying ‘not yet’ when it comes to attending large public events,” says Jed Pearsall, president of Performance Research.

The top-line findings — especially in comparison with a similar Performance Research study conducted in mid-March — are equally stark. Even after the CDC and local governments say it’s safe to do so, 52% of respondents say they will attend fewer large public events, up from 44% in March, just days after the CDC declared the COVID-19 outbreak a global pandemic. Even more striking: This month, 60% of respondents say the idea of attending a big public event “will scare me for a long time,” up from 47% in March.

Across just about every major industry sector, respondents have grown more fearful about stepping into public spaces: 39% say they’ll attend major indoor concerts less often, up from 33% in March; 36% say they’ll attend theme parks less often, up from 26%; and 33% say they’ll attend theater and performing arts venues less often, up from 29%.

For Broadway productions, a new line of inquiry in the May study, the news is especially worrying: 51% of respondents say it will take a few months before they will attend a Broadway show in New York even after it’s deemed safe to do so, and 16% say they may never go again.
Depending on where the survey was taken this data might be really skewed.

Last edited by JohnAV; 05-22-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
flyry (05-24-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #23329
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Best to ignore surveys. Proof will be in the pudding come July/August.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #23330
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Another poor article

Should You Install a Home Theater? - Motley Fool - 5/17/20

Quote:
"If you love planning movie nights or enjoy binge-watching TV shows, then you might have thought about installing a home theater. Of course, now that social distancing has made us rethink all things entertainment, home theaters might become as necessary as an extra bathroom."

The pros and cons of a home theater
Pro: Your movies, your space
Con: You can't use your home theater for much else
Pro: The sound and picture quality is amazing
Con: The sound and picture quality might be too much
Pro: You'll save money on trips to the movies
Con: You'll waste money on technology that will be outdated soon

Now if one looks at the authors background its kinda easy to see the obvisious bias, still should never have been authored without doing any reseach.

Quote:
Barbara Bellesi Zito is a freelance writer and social media strategist from Staten Island, NY.
Anyway a total garbage article that might amuse some. But seriously lady your clueless!
Thanks given by:
bhampton (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #23331
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Another poor article

Now if one looks at the authors background its kinda easy to see the obvisious bias, still should never have been authored without doing any reseach.

Anyway a total garbage article that might amuse some. But seriously lady your clueless!
I would totally build a dedicated home theater.

If I didn't already do that years ago.

I'm really enjoying it more than ever now. I have to stay home? With my Pool and my Home Theater and all my other stuff... Ok, I actually kind of like being home. Yay.

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 05-22-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #23332
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Oculus Quest seems to be where all the action is these days. I’m hoping the next gen PSVR has a higher resolution (it’s virtually guaranteed, no pun intended) that would allow Bluray quality playback plus PSVR can playback 3D Blu-ray. I. Hoping for the version after that to be self contained.

Depending on your age, the renewable energy issue may not concern you. I’m 45 so it will certainly affect me unless I kick the bucket early (waits for a Vilya one liner! )

Oh, and don’t be putting the word smartphone in the same sentence as HT, it triggers me!
I have no "one liner" for you, but I do wonder why your post has an Italian flag at the top of it? This happens to your posts from time to time; I have never noticed it occurring with anyone else's comments. You're doing something special.

I am interested in renewable energy, but I am not "concerned" because I am convinced that it will meet our needs. Where you have anxiety, I have confidence.

I would never want to trigger you by mentioning smartphones in the same sentence with home theaters. You have enough stress without combining the topics of home theaters and smartphones. Such portable devices as smartphones are a personal anathema for you when discussed in the context of home theaters.

Perhaps using the video casting function of your smartphone while simultaneously using your home theater would give you a new found appreciation for smartphones and their ability to compliment your home theater streaming experience? I suggest using your smartphone in this manner with your home theater gradually until you slowly become comfortable with both your smartphone and your home theater operating in tandem. The two, smartphones and home theaters, can coexist and enhance one another if you give them the chance. If you would like to continue this discussion about how you can make peace with your smartphone and your home theater, just let me know. Until then I will absolutely respect your wishes and I will try to avoid using the words "smartphone" and "home theater" in the same sentence.

Last edited by Vilya; 05-22-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #23333
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
[Show spoiler]Another poor article

Clueless people would be more amusing if not for the fact that their numbers are legion. Thanks to the internet, these dolts have an audience that they never had as just their local village idiot.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (05-22-2020), JohnAV (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #23334
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

While risking my life shopping at Walmart last night, I found two more blu-rays to buy and then I ordered a super silly movie from Amazon bringing my spending spree to 64 titles.

This is the silly movie that I bought:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kaiju...lu-ray/204027/

I think it will make a great companion piece to my copy of:

https://www.amazon.com/Calamari-Wres...inkCode=xm2&m=
Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #23335
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I have no "one liner" for you, but I do wonder why your post has an Italian flag at the top of it? This happens to your posts from time to time; I have never noticed it occurring with anyone else's comments. You're doing something special.

I am interested in renewable energy, but I am not "concerned" because I am convinced that it will meet our needs. Where you have anxiety, I have confidence.

I would never want to trigger you by mentioning smartphones in the same sentence with home theaters. You have enough stress without combining the topics of home theaters and smartphones. Such portable devices as smartphones are a personal anathema for you when discussed in the context of home theaters.

Perhaps using the video casting function of your smartphone while simultaneously using your home theater would give you a new found appreciation for smartphones and their ability to compliment your home theater streaming experience? I suggest using your smartphone in this manner with your home theater gradually until you slowly become comfortable with both your smartphone and your home theater operating in tandem. The two, smartphones and home theaters, can coexist and enhance one another if you give them the chance. If you would like to continue this discussion about how you can make peace with your smartphone and your home theater, just let me know. Until then I will absolutely respect your wishes and I will try to avoid using the words "smartphone" and "home theater" in the same sentence.
Oh, Iím very special!

Yeah, I donít know how I end up with flags from different countries. I sometimes type too fast, maybe Iím catching one of the icons below?

I don't mind though, itís nice to fly the flag of several nations!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #23336
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

The rise and fall of movie theaters — and how the coronavirus pandemic might change them - Business Week - 5/22/20
Quote:
"Everybody's hurting, but there is money for the taking," Bock said. "Hopefully, they can figure something out that appeases both studios and theaters."
  • Movie theaters as we know them have been around for more than a century.
  • However, the coronavirus pandemic has forced movie theaters nationwide to close or drastically change their policies in order to adhere to social distancing and public health and safety measures.
  • Hope still remains for Hollywood, though, as many of the summer's biggest blockbusters have yet to be postponed and drive-ins are seeing a surprising resurgence in popularity.

Early movie theaters, or electric theaters, were housed in tents.

I anticipate that early on theaters will be a lot more divided up/separated for operation. Those chains with 12 small theater rooms might be more successful as they can host private parties and limited reservation based showings. As mentioned before the 500 drive ins still operational can handily work as we move forward for some areas. Perhaps some temporary drive ins can be utilized.

Last edited by JohnAV; 05-23-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #23337
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Heres a interesting example using the ball park stadium screen to act as a outdoor movie theater. So even if the fans can't watch a team play the stadium has other uses.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #23338
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Demand for Drive-in Movie Theaters Surge in Texas, New Jersey - BREITBART - 5/21/20

Quote:
Demand for drive-in movie theaters is surging in several states, as more people seek out entertainment from the comfort of their vehicles in the wake of the deadly Chinese coronavirus
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 AM   #23339

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
This is the silly movie that I bought:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kaiju...lu-ray/204027/
Ha! I didnít know the great wrestler Kota Ibushi was in a movie!
Thanks given by:
Vilya (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #23340
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
How can a daytime movie experience be met when I (and many millions) work most of the time itís sunny? The only chance I get for films is nighttime and Saturday.

I know what people think of some of my posts but this is based in fact. We either go 100% renewable and sacrifice everything we enjoy or we keep fossil fuels and hurt the planet.
Itís not possible imo to go renewable AND continue with our energy usage. Not going to happen. We will need to make huge sacrifices, which personally Iím not prepared to make.

Like you say, there are renewable options but only two are cost effective. Wind and Solar. Both are intermittent sources and NEED storage or they simply wonít provide us what we need. If we do find a storage solution, we STILL need to cut our energy use by an estimated 55% by 2030. How do we do that?
Quoted this one because I did not want to quote everything from every one (plus it covered a few things I wanted to go over).

1) electricity is too vital not to have a 24/7 grid. Imagine if people in hospitals on ventilators or other critical equipment would just get powered down. Worst case scenario there can be differential pricing (something that exists today in many parts of the world) based on circumstances.

2) With hydro Quebec if you want to hook up a new installation you need to pay for the infrastructure needed (i.e wire, posts, Ö from the nearest junction point). For this one guy I know those costs would have been too high for his cottage in the middle of no where so he decided to go with solar instead. In the winter his house has electricity 24/7 to run the heating when it is colder then -30 outside and the days are 4h long. Why does it work? because he has enough solar cells and batteries. I know you will say that it is not a macro solution. But why do you even really need one? If you are worried you will only have electricity during day light and for you it is important to have electricity during the night (or night electricity is too expensive...) you can add batteries to your home and charge them during the day and use the electricity at night.

3) Hydroquebec has a few distant communities where the electricity is generated by fossil fuel for those communities, for my electricity only the Bťcancour generating station uses fossil fuel and it is used as needed. 2019's report showed that it was not. So 100% of my electricity came from "renewable" sources. And Quebec is not the only place where it is almost all renewable. I know it is not true for many out there and for most of the world, but there are a lot of places where almost 100% comes from "renewable" sources. Quebec is over 99% so is Manitoba, BC is over 98% and NL is over 95% just to name a few provinces here. and no one had to sacrifice anything

4) you are wrong, if feasible (no use building a damn where there is no water, solar in the arctic circle for a year round community...) any generation from none consumable sources is cost effective. Yes , for example, back in the 70's/80's Quebec spent a lot of money re-routing rivers, building roads to no where, "temporary" housing bringing material to no where ... to build the James bay project. But if you make electricity from coal you need to constantly buy coal, if it is petroleum you need to constantly buy petroleum, if it is natural gaz you need to constantly buy natural gaz.... that is why over time electricity from none consumable sources always becomes cost effective. If those huge investments in hydro electricity were not cost effective I would not be paying 6.08Ę/kWh (which I see as a reasonable price)
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-23-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology