Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Madonna: Hard Candy (iTunes)
$4.99

Chaim Topol, John Williams &
$9.99

Various Artists: Varèse Sarabande: A 25th Anniversary Celebration, Vol. 2 (iTunes)
$23.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Guido and Maurizio De Angelis: G and M de Angelis Soundtrack (iTunes)
$8.99

Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral (iTunes)
$15.99

Amos Lee: My New Moon (iTunes)
$4.99

Various Artists: The Music of Grand Theft Auto V (iTunes)
$23.99

Original Cast Recording: Sunshine On Leith (iTunes)
$9.99

Toby Keith: The Bus Songs (iTunes)
$5.99

Madonna: Music (iTunes)
$4.99

Madonna: Bedtime Stories (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Nov 2009
USA
Default Do I need 4K pass through?

I had everything set up wrong but after talking with Samsung tech support it's working but I'm wondering if I need 4k pass through...the picture looks ok.

My tv is a 55 inch Samsung MU6300 4K TV...LG UP875 4K blu ray player and a Samsung HWR550 2.1 sound bar with rear speakers. The blu ray player is connected out from the HDMI to HDMI in on the sound bar and from the HDMI ARC from the sound bar to HDMI ARC on the TV. I'm just using the sound bar for watching movies on the blu ray player. I use the TV speakers when watching TV...I have no cable or Netflix so don't need the sound bar for TV...only for blu ray player.

I hear talk about losing resolution if you don't have 4k pass through but the picture still looks fine and I don't think any of this equipment has 4K pass through but it still looks 4k and not 1080...as far as I can tell. My concern is now I'm running my player straight to the sound bar instead of to the TV HDMI and was using optical from the player to the sound bar. Since everything is running to the sound bar via HDMI and ARC and ARC to TV...do I need to worry about 4K pass through or am I ok as is?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Dec 2009
Lithonia, GA

does your soundbar connect by optical or hdmi? hook ur player thru ur tv hdmi slot. and then run ur optical from ur tv to he back of the player
Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Based on the specs of the sound bar it is only hdmi 1.4 and doesn't support 4K or HDR. IF you only watch blurays then 1080p in to sound bar and 1080p out to TV and the TV upscales to 4K. No loss of image quality. However if you do have 4K movies you are sending 4K to the sound bar which is then passing 1080p to the TV and the TV is upscaling to 4K. So you get simulated 4K (upscaled) and not true 4K.

4K passthrough would help with the 4K. However due to only have 1.4 HDMI on there (Sound bar, it most likely doesn't support HDR or dolby vision) you would loose that. I know because my receiver has 4K passthrough but only has 1.4 HDMI ports so the HDR/dolbyvsion got dropped and I went with the LG 4K up970 as it has a 2.0 HDMI port for video out to the TV and a 1.4 HDMI out for audio to my receiver.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qtsHOr...kaAp2OEALw_wcB
Old 05-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Looking at sounds specs in your setup it looks like the Samsung TV can connect audio to the samsung sound bar via optical cable or bluetooth. TV specs show the optical cable connection outputs 5.1. I don't know if the sound bar will properly process 5.1 in to 2.1 or if you would loose info (youd have to try it- i didnt see anything in the manual to force the 5.1 audio to something else) . The LG 4K player also has optical out for Audio which can be run from the player to the sound bar. It can pass 5.1 sound but also looks like it has various audio settings where you can force it to PCM 2.0 sound (not sure if you loose the .1, subwoofer??, something that would need to be tested).

Using optical cable you would loose the hdmi control (where TV can control sound bar via hdmi). I am not sure from the manuals if the bluetooth connection would allow you to control the sound bar from the TV selections or not. Depends on if they support that bluetooth spec. This would be things like you pressing the volume on the remote for the TV and it pumps up the volume on the sound bar and not the TV.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Nov 2009
USA

I don't really care about the TV controlling the other remotes or anything. Some how some way I'd just like to watch 4K movies with my 4K player and use a sound bar/woofer. I don't need the sound bar for watching regular TV...I use the TV speakers. I just use the sound bar when I watch 4K and 1080 Blu rays. I don't have an internet connection with the TV or Netflix or any streaming...just the basics...TV, Blu ray player and sound bar. If I ran HDMI from blu ray player to TV HDMI and connected sound bar to player with Optical...would that let me watch 4K. I think the sound bar supports just basic Dolby and DTS. I only have a few more days left if I need to return the sound bar so please reply ASAP if possible. Thanks for all this information...I'm new to all this 4K pass through and audio settings.

Oh...I hear bass and can feel the sub woofer vibrating a little bit if I put my hand on it...can't tell if it's the sub woofer or the vibrations from the sound bar though since the woofer is right next to the TV and sound bar. Why would I have to force it to PCM 2.0...I want 2.1...how would I get a 2.1 to work without forcing anything...should I get a new 4K player? What causes the 1 in 2.1 to be dropped...to where the woofer isn't supported...the blu ray player has an option for PCM and bitstream I think...would bitstream give me 2.1 and make the sub woofer work completely? How do you get around to being able to actually use a 2.1 setup without it turning into a 2.0. I assumed a 2.1 sound bar would give me 2.1 sound and not 2.0 but not sure about anything any more. Now I'm totally clueless about what I need. Seems if I get one thing working then I lose something else in the process...it's frustrating.

Last edited by william273; 05-31-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #6

Nov 2009
USA

UPDATE...BIG! Ok...my bluray player only has options for Auto and PCM and it was set to PCM. I changed it to Auto and also changed the HDMI connections. Now I'm running HDMI from player to TV and Optical from player to soundbar....not using HDMI ARC at all.

Just did a test with Ironman 2 Bluray...chapter 6...race track scene. Yesterday when connected with ARC I was thinking it should be sounding better with more bass too but it wasn't. Just tried it again with new connections and player audio setting to Auto instead of PCM and all I can say is WOW!!! It's like a $1000 setup...sounds incredible. I have the volume to around 10 and don't need to go any higher...it goes to over 50...maybe to 100 but I'd never even need anywhere near 50. This just doesn't feel right...something must be wrong somewhere...it can't be this good. Sub woofer seems to be working...tons of bass...more than I was expecting...no this just isn't right...the bottom will drop out here shortly and I won't be surprised if I see smoke coming from the back of the TV when I finally sit back to enjoy a movie and the new sound...only to hear some crackling and the smell of something burning. This REALLY sounds to good to be true...hope I'm wrong though...please tell me I'm wrong. I mean this is really some incredible sound and I'm falling in love with it! Thanks so very much Slaizer!
Old 06-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

So hdmi cable from player to tv doing 4k as expected based on manuals and knowledge.

What I wasn’t sure about was if the sound bar could take the 5.1 sound from the player via optical cable and properly convert it to 2.1.
Sometimes if the receiver (sound bar) doesn’t then you’d lose some sounds. If that was the case the. You might have had to force pcm in order to get 2 channels and hear all the sound.

But looks like the sound bar does properly convert 5.1 in to 2.1 for you and you aren’t losing anything based on your tests. Manuals aren’t always intuitive and I always find I have to do some various connections, settings and testing to get the most out of it.

Glad it’s working!!!
Old 06-01-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

I looked at the players manual and pcm only does 2.0. So the auto setting is best as it is detecting the supported sound format of the sound bar and sending the supported format.

Digital Output
[Auto]
Select if you connect this unit’s DIGITAL AUDIO OUT and HDMI OUT jack to a device with LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoder.
[PCM]
Select if you connect this unit’s HDMI OUT jack to a device with digital decoder or DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with two channel digital stereo decoder.
[DTS Re-Encode]
Select if you connect this unit’s HDMI OUT or DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with DTS decoder

Your sound bar only does the older sound formats which are considered lossy (from dvd days). A sound bar that supports Dolby true hd or dts-hd sounds better as those high def formats are considered lossless. But of course a sound bar that supports that would be more expensive.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Per the sound bars manual the sound bar has both Dolby digital and dts decoders in it.
If you like a lot of boomy bass you can set the players audio to dts-reencode.
If you haven’t already done this you can try and see if you like it or not. It will add more bass unless of course you have already turned on The dts re-encode.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:49 AM   #10
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

And by the way the Samsung phone support person should have only connected things the way they told you if you only had a Blu-ray player or a 4k capable sound bar. Sometimes they get too focused on the hdmi arc (audio return channel) and hdmi control they loose sight of the bigger picture. 4k player with 4k movie playing in true 4k on your 4k tv.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

Nov 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaizer2000 View Post
So hdmi cable from player to tv doing 4k as expected based on manuals and knowledge.

What I wasn’t sure about was if the sound bar could take the 5.1 sound from the player via optical cable and properly convert it to 2.1.
Sometimes if the receiver (sound bar) doesn’t then you’d lose some sounds. If that was the case the. You might have had to force pcm in order to get 2 channels and hear all the sound.

But looks like the sound bar does properly convert 5.1 in to 2.1 for you and you aren’t losing anything based on your tests. Manuals aren’t always intuitive and I always find I have to do some various connections, settings and testing to get the most out of it.

Glad it’s working!!!
Well it's not losing any sound now...that's for sure. I had PCM selected before and it sounded kind of dead even though I did have sound...half alive and not full...as it seemed to be lacking something but wasn't sure what. Now using the Auto setting it has come to LIFE!

I bought a pair of Samsung SWA 8500S rear speakers that work with this sound bar but returned them the next day. They worked but it was pretty much just the same front sounds coming from the rear speakers. The front carried the main sounds are were a bit louder than the rear. Now that I've changed the settings from PCM to Auto I'm wondering if I might get a different sound with the rears. Like do you think I might get some front and rear separation or would it still be just left and right? I'm wondering if it might be decoding the 5.1 more with the Auto setting than how it was set with PCM. This is just something I'm wondering about and if it would be worth going back and getting them again. Thanks.

Last edited by william273; 06-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #12

Nov 2009
USA

Quote:
Per the sound bars manual the sound bar has both Dolby digital and dts decoders in it.
If you like a lot of boomy bass you can set the players audio to dts-reencode.
If you haven’t already done this you can try and see if you like it or not. It will add more bass unless of course you have already turned on The dts re-encode.
I tried the DTS Re-Encode and liked it a lot too so I'll have to experiment to see which I like more...that or Auto.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

Nov 2009
USA

Quote:

Glad it’s working!!!
Me too. With your help I've come to enjoy how audio is supposed to be heard. The only time I've heard this quality of sound is when I go to Best Buy and hear their sound bars on demo and display. Now I have the same sound in my house thanks to you and your help.

Can you tell me what the Sampling Freq. should be in the LG UP875 4k blu ray player? The options are 48KHz...96KHz and 192KHz...it's set to 96KHz right now but not sure if that is the correct setting. Thanks again for all your in-depth and detailed help!

UPDATE: never mind about the sampling freq...I found it. Called Samsung and LG...it should be set to48KHz.

Last edited by william273; 06-01-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #14

Nov 2009
USA

There's a rear speaker kit SWA 8500S that can work with this sound bar. Since I've changed the audio setting from PCM to Auto do you think I might get some front and rear separation or would it still be the same front sound coming from the rear with left and right separation. I'm wondering if the bar or player might decode 5.1 enough to make it worth while or should I just stay with the bar and woofer as is. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #15
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

Can't really tell from the manuals. But you are right with the PCM 2.0 setting not taking full potential of the rear surround speakers. The sound bar would have been receiving just 2 channels, recognizing you had the rear speakers and therefore dumping the same 2 channel sound to the back speakers.

I'd be guessing but if the sound bar receives 5.1 sound it should then be able to discretely send the sounds to each of the 4 speakers properly. Most of what I can find states the rear speakers would give you Full Surround which to me means discrete individual sounds and not just a copy of what your front speakers are playing.
But another one of those gotta test to see or not.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #16
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Rochester NY

I guess you could also contact samsung and see if the rear speaker kit gives you the discreet rear audio from the player as its recorded or if it's just simulating sound to the rear speakers.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #17

Jun 2007
San Diego, CA USA

My stupid Onkyo receiver is supposed to be 4K passthru but when I set it up that way the TV and/or OPPO wouldn't recognize each other as 4K. I said the hell with it and connected them directly with audio out going separately to the receiver.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #18

Nov 2009
USA

Quote:
I guess you could also contact samsung and see if the rear speaker kit gives you the discreet rear audio from the player as its recorded or if it's just simulating sound to the rear speakers.
I read a review that said it's supposed to "simulate" sound coming from behind...that came from a Samsung tech in an article. I guess I'll just stay with the what I have here to be on the safe side. Thanks very much!
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToEhrIsHuman View Post
My stupid Onkyo receiver is supposed to be 4K passthru but when I set it up that way the TV and/or OPPO wouldn't recognize each other as 4K. I said the hell with it and connected them directly with audio out going separately to the receiver.
Sorry to dust off this old chesnutt, but I wanna finally invest in a UHD player and the Jaws UHD. My tv is 4k and HDR ready, but my 7.1 receiver does not have 4k passthrough.

My question: can I run a new player directly to the tv and then separately run the player to the receiver via hdmi for uncompressed sound? I'd love to jump in, but my receiver is still solid and I'm not ready to invest in a new one in addition to the player...

Thanks for any insights...
Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Yes you can.
There are players that have two HDMI outs specifically for what you're wanting.
My Sony X800 has them.
I have no idea how well the audio syncs with the video, but imagine it can be adjusted if it's out a bit.

Hopefully someone chimes in that has this set-up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion