Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
23 hrs ago
One Cut of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
22 hrs ago
21 Bridges (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

The Color of Pomegranates (Blu-ray)
$18.99
11 hrs ago
Ghost Ship (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Trick 'r Treat (Blu-ray)
$25.58
5 hrs ago
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)
$21.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #681
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Aspect ratio confirmed.

I went digging because that post had me so confused. He started off with 1:85:1 which is what even the very first Comic Con footage aired at with Snyder at the helm, but now he's going 1:66:1?

I'm super confused because it just does not make sense why he needs to make that change. It introduces bars onto the side from my digging on the web and i figure 1:78:1 even would have been maybe a subtle choice. I genuinely am curious to see him answer why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstjohn View Post
This.

The same people who were upset that Disney took the reactions to Last Jedi seriously enough to retcon some of Rian Johnson's creative choices. They forget though in this case it's not about a studio compromising their creation to please fans but restoring its original form.

Even if not all fans were the nicest people, it was the same people campaigning for this cut that helped raise money for suicide prevention, so calling them toxic is more than a bit of a stretch while the other side were on occasion actually mocking Snyder over losing his daughter.

https://www.newsweek.com/dc-fans-rai...mpaign-1485668
I don't want to thread crap but just because fans complain about what a director has been allowed to do a la TLJ, that doesn't mean they're wrong and imo, it's something i can also say about BvS if Zack chose Eisenberg as Luthor and let him play the character as he did. Arguably the worst part of the movie for me. I'm glad he wasn't that involved in Josstice League but if Zack is putting him back into his version, then i hope Eisenberg isn't bloody well hamming it up again. Also, being a sequel and ejecting previous story elements seeded in for the future and generally being seen to crap on fan held expectations doesn't go down well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsknudsen View Post
Actually 1.66:1 would have black bars on the left and right.

This is a rather odd aspect ratio for a non-art house film.

Here's a 1.66:1 movie, Sophia Coppola's The Beguiled.

Thanks for the image and yeah, hopefully he answers what made him think of that AR as the one to change to when he settled on 1:85:1 originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Hey captveg, I know you probably listed this elsewhere in this thread, but probably easier to just ask and hopefully you can expand your answer, but were the underwater sequences with Aquaman and Mera, and the Russian family stuff with Flash, all 100% Whedon contributions or did Snyder have his own versions of those scenes?
In the Snyder version, Vulko is present and he's the one who talks to Aquabro and convinces him to go fight Steppenwolf on the surface as well as i believe giving him the armour and weapons. That then was supposed to tie a little better to the solo movie.

Quote:
Kevin Tsujihara was fired after it was revealed he abused his power as CEO to coerce actresses into having sex with him, just like any number of @ssholes.

The studio is actually run by a woman now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...ho-era-1221610
Are we really going to act like this sort of thing's not been happening for ages with complicit parties on both sides?

I can't remember which actress said it but she's a damn hero to me. Said that these people were happy to do it to land roles and advance their own careers and now cry wolf.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #682
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Why are people coming here to trash this project and trash Zack Snyder? Even if you're not a huge fan of him or the three DC movies he made this is an unbelievably exciting development. And it will be fascinating to watch unfold.
If you hate the movies and you think they have no redeeming value and you can't stand the man why would you come here just to bash him and rain on everybody's parade? It's pathetic. And that's coming from a huge Marvel fan and someone who thinks that Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman are good but not great and who hated Justice League. But I'm about as excited for this project as just about anything I see coming in the next couple years
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (05-23-2020), grib419 (05-24-2020), Jar Jar Stinks (05-23-2020), jayman3 (05-23-2020), joetesta21 (05-23-2020), LarryT (05-23-2020), MattJ1991 (05-23-2020), mertz523 (05-25-2020), SilentNight (05-23-2020), SpazeBlue (05-23-2020), starsfond (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #683

Nov 2015

Thanks given by:
bermuda (05-23-2020), starsfond (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 04:10 AM   #684
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Old 05-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #685
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

I find the aspect ratio to be quite interesting. If my math is correct there's about 11 and a half percent more picture by opening up the picture. Perhaps the 1.66 ratio was his preferred aspect all along but he knew that the studio wouldn't allow him to release the movie at that in theaters. And now that it's coming first to HBO perhaps the studio doesn't really care at this point it's his version so why not let him have his preferred ratio as well?
The project has inspired me to want to purchase Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman on 4K discs. I lost my motivation to buy them after Justice League turned out so poorly. They're currently at $15 a piece from Amazon I wonder if that's the lowest I've ever been
Old 05-23-2020, 04:12 AM   #686
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
$20-30m is not enough to do good VFX. Thatís not even enough to shave someoneís mustache off.
They could finish it for $500.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 AM   #687

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
I find the aspect ratio to be quite interesting. If my math is correct there's about 11 and a half percent more picture by opening up the picture. Perhaps the 1.66 ratio was his preferred aspect all along but he knew that the studio wouldn't allow him to release the movie at that in theaters. And now that it's coming first to HBO perhaps the studio doesn't really care at this point it's his version so why not let him have his preferred ratio as well?
1.66:1 movies get released to theaters just fine. The Beguiled was shown in theaters with that ratio.

Still, it's an odd choice, especially when many recent streaming movies and TV shows are being formatted 18:9 (or 2.00:1) to fit phone screens.
Thanks given by:
bermuda (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #688
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Yes I'm aware that 1.66 is a standard ratio or one of the standard ratios that are used. And it must be his preferred Ratio or else why would he be showing it in that. I think that makes it even more interesting and exciting. But I'm truly curious if anybody thinks they would have ever released it in the theaters at that ratio.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:30 AM   #689
Power Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
Sucker Punch was shot on film (personally I would bring up The Revenant, Skyfall, and 1917 as some of the best looking digital movies). I have very mixed feelings on Snyder’s ability with character and story (frankly I feel like his first film was best there, and Sucker Punch and Man of Steel were storytelling failures), but clearly he has visual style to spare.
Oops, my mistake. I'll change that to it's the best looking "CGI heavy movie".
Old 05-23-2020, 04:31 AM   #690

Nov 2015

Quote:
Yes I'm aware that 1.66 is a standard ratio or one of the standard ratios that are used. And it must be his preferred Ratio or else why would he be showing it in that. I think that makes it even more interesting and exciting. But I'm truly curious if anybody thinks they would have ever released it in the theaters at that ratio.
It's possible he was thinking of an IMAX release. I think Star Trek Into Darkness was shown in 1.66:1 on IMAX.

Plus hey, you know Warner will book this movie for an IMAX exclusive run at some point.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 AM   #691
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Were any characters from Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman that were meant to appear in Justice League cut out completely in the theatrical version? I noticed there was no Perry White in Justice League at least that I remember...
Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 AM   #692
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

Quote:
Were any characters from Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman that were meant to appear in Justice League cut out completely in the theatrical version? I noticed there was no Perry White in Justice League at least that I remember...
Thanks given by:
Bolty (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 AM   #693

Nov 2015

I think Martian Manhunter rather than Green Lantern was supposed to be the 7th Justice Leaguer.
Thanks given by:
Bolty (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #694
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
https://screenrant.com/justice-leagu...e-perry-white/

Perry White won’t be in this version either. Laurence Fishburne was asked to come back for a day, but it couldn’t work schedule wise, and said he wasn’t too upset as he felt his role wasn’t needed (makes sense given how quick his filming would’ve been and he believed the focus should be on the superheroes)
Thanks given by:
Bolty (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #695
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016
Florida

Quote:
Perhaps the 1.66 ratio was his preferred aspect all along but he knew that the studio wouldn't allow him to release the movie at that in theaters.
Jurassic World was 2.00 and Universal didn’t complain. I noticed with that film when it came out theaters were either showing it in 1.85 or 2.00 depending on the theater (generally PLF theaters showed it in 2.00).
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #696
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Absolutely - 4-6 months after the HBO Max premiere. Why wouldn't they? The only real question is if it'll get a 4K release. But if most the DTV animated DC are getting 4K releases these days, I see no reason why this wouldn't.
Yet... Harley Quinn (Season 1) isn't get a Blu-ray release...

fitprod
Old 05-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #697

Jul 2015
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sorry if it's been discussed before, but how is General Swanwik actually being Martian Manhunter all this time is considered a good idea? Seems pretty dumb to me, on par with "Wouldn't it be funny if Jimmy Olsen is a CIA agent and gets killed at the start of the movie?"

How he treats Superman in MOS for being an alien and not trusting him... going "against America's intrests"... huh.... Unless he wasn't him all this time? I don't know.

Also the black suit... how does the color of the suit make a difference in the movie being better or worse? I really don't get the importance.

Can't say Im really looking forward to this, but Im glad it will put an end to it all. I'm definitely interested in checking it out tho. Can't be much worse than the theatrical cut.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #698
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008

A lot of Swanwick's attitude of simply watching and not involving himself beyond his human persona may depend on how long he's been on Earth and how aware he is of its supernatural history and supernatural beings. It wouldn't be the first fantasy series to have a powerful character stand aside and let events play out without his own supernatural intervention. For this film it's likely just an easter egg that would have been followed up on in subsequent JL films.

As for the black suit, per Snyder it was all part of the journey the character would have from MoS through to JL3.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #699
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Quote:
I think Martian Manhunter rather than Green Lantern was supposed to be the 7th Justice Leaguer.
My thoughts as well. Why bring in the exact same character (Reynold's Hal Jordan) from a poorly received film that flopped?

And as for the possibility that we'll get a radically different version of Steppenwolf, i can't see that happening at all. We're talking about the main villain of the film who is entirely CG, and you're going to rip that out, create, animate and render a new version with access to an alleged $20m budget? No. Not feasible.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #700
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
Except it's not bullshit. It is a very valid criticism because it's true. What is bullshit is implying that Snyder's visuals are apparently so awesome that it makes people not understand his "genius" storytelling. Something that his fanboys have been saying about critics since the release of BvS.
Film is a visual medium. Telling the story visually should be the prime concern of any filmmaker. That's what Snyder does exceptionally well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies