Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$8.98

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57

Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
21 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

The Blood Island Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
13 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Question about Dish Network Receivers

I have been a DirectTV customer only, and do not have any experience with Dish. I do think, however, they have a receiver that can go to two seperate TV's, is that correct? If so, are there two different remotes?

What I am wanting is this setup:

receiver in living room - that receiver controls TV in living room, TV in family room, and TV in kitchen.

Now, if that'll work, how do I send the signal to each TV? Only one TV will have an HDMI cable for the input, the other two would be regular component cables or however I can set it up.

Or, do I need to get 3 receivers total?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post
I have been a DirectTV customer only, and do not have any experience with Dish. I do think, however, they have a receiver that can go to two seperate TV's, is that correct? If so, are there two different remotes?

receiver in living room - that receiver controls TV in living room, TV in family room, and TV in kitchen.

Now, if that'll work, how do I send the signal to each TV? Only one TV will have an HDMI cable for the input, the other two would be regular component cables or however I can set it up.

Yes 1 receiver for 2 tv's. You will need 2 receivers. You will like Dish's receivers much better than Direct Tv's also. One remote will be IR, and one will be RF.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Jan 2009

I'm assuming they will distinguish which remote will control the receiver at a time so each person isn't changing the channel of the other person?

And, to connect one receiver to two tv's, is it just the output? aka, 2 hdmi cables go out to each TV per tuner in the receiver?

does that work the same with dvr?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

Quote:
I'm assuming they will distinguish which remote will control the receiver at a time so each person isn't changing the channel of the other person?

And, to connect one receiver to two tv's, is it just the output? aka, 2 hdmi cables go out to each TV per tuner in the receiver?

does that work the same with dvr?
Like I said, one remote is IR, the other RF. They are also numbered and color coded. TV2 output is SD only, so you will have a single coax cable going to TV2. You could run HDMI/Component cables to your TV2, but you would have to watch the same program as TV1. Both tv's will have separate dvr functionality.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Only one room will be output in HD if that matters to you, unless something has changed.

Bill
Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #6

Jan 2009

Oh, good info on the coaxal cable to the 2nd tv. The 2nd TV will only be a drop down TV thing for the kitchen, so it won't be HD anyways. Thanks, that makes the installation that much easier
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

I have one TV so not an issue for me. Plus I just dropped dish network. Over the air HD looks better.... and it is free... for the moment anyways...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #8

Nov 2008
FL

Quote:

Blujacket said it right. To add, the Dish network package is great!

I have one myself, and it controls two tv's. I am thinking about adding one to my projector.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #9

Apr 2009
Juliette, GA
Default It's time for a change

I just looked up the Dish DVR receivers. It looks like they're the same as the one I have. TV2 is SD over coax. You have to tune to a channel on your analog TV, I think mine is set to channel 119. My TV2 is upstairs, maybe 40 feet or so from the receiver. The RF remote works OK, but I have to be careful where I aim it since it is going through a floor.

One nice feature of the DVR receivers is that you can hang a USB external hard drive to the system to expand your recording capacity. There's a one time $40 activation fee, which I think is a little high. That's why I haven't added another drive.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion