Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Joker (DVD)
$10.00

Frozen II (DVD)
$14.99

Doctor Sleep (DVD)
$10.00

The Office: The Complete Series (DVD)
$42.49

It: Chapter Two (DVD)
$10.00

The Land Before Time: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$25.98

Adventure Time: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.99
3 hrs ago
Overcomer (DVD)
$15.00

Midsomer Murders: Series 21 (DVD)
$27.97

Bloodshot (DVD)
$19.99

Treadstone: Season One (DVD)
$15.57

Veep: The Complete Series (DVD)
$78.42
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #1

Mar 2013
Question George Romero's Martin, 95 minutes (Anchor Bay) vs 90 minutes (Arrow)

I've searched and not found any answer to this.

Some DVD's of George Romero's Marin are 1:34:41, like the Anchor Bay and Lionsgate discs, while others are 1:30:49, like the Arrow discs.

Sites like DVDCompare only say that there are "no cuts" on any of these discs, but clearly that is not the case.

I have verified with people who have each disc that each disc starts and ends with the same title and end credits sequence (i.e., there' not some 4+ minute long intro or something on the 95 minute version).

Does anyone know what is actually missing in the 91 minute versions?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Nothing.

The reasons the runtimes are different is because of NTSC and PAL. NTSC formats run at proper 24fps (the framerate which a majority of films are shot in) while PAL runs at 25fps (one frame more) resulting in a faster speed (and higher pitch).
Old 03-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

Mar 2013

I actually knew about the PAL thing, but for some reason I wasn't thinking it would add *that* much time, as I didn't do the math in my head (or on a calculator). It's been awhile since I handled a PAL disc and for some reason my line of thinking was surely a studio would speed correct their video to match the correct run time. But I guess speeding up the video and audio is pretty common handling for PAL for some reason. :P
Old 03-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

Feb 2012

91 min + 3.46 min (4% PAL speed up) = 95 min
Old 03-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNight View Post
I actually knew about the PAL thing, but for some reason I wasn't thinking it would add *that* much time, as I didn't do the math in my head (or on a calculator). It's been awhile since I handled a PAL disc and for some reason my line of thinking was surely a studio would speed correct their video to match the correct run time. But I guess speeding up the video and audio is pretty common handling for PAL for some reason. :P
I don't know of a single PAL release that was "speed corrected" from a 24 fps film source. Every PAL DVD I've ever encountered was converted to 25fps, and thus ran about 3 or 4% faster than normal. That's what's accounting for the speedier run time of the Martin discs in the UK and other PAL regions. This is obviously not an issue with blu-ray.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

If you are taking footage shot in 24fps and changing it to 25fps and you want to not change the speed, whatever method you use will be adding frames to the picture, which is going to cause worse changes than the speed-up. Sometimes they do pitch correction, but there's really not much to do about the picture.

Note: This applies to film only. Television can be adjusted if it wasn't shot on film; it won't look great, but they do it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Tags
dvdcompare, george romero, martin, martin (1977)