Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: iTunes Originals: Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
$10.99

Vishal-Shekhar: Sultan (iTunes)
$3.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Guido and Maurizio De Angelis: G and M de Angelis Soundtrack (iTunes)
$8.99

Cody Jinks: Lifers (iTunes)
$6.99

Elvis Presley: Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite (iTunes)
$12.99

Marsha Ambrosius: Nyla (iTunes)
$7.99

Elvis Presley: Viva Elvis: The Album (iTunes)
$7.99

Various Artists: The Music of Grand Theft Auto V (iTunes)
$23.99

Original Cast Recording: Sunshine On Leith (iTunes)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #1

Nov 2007
Default Onkyo 705 - Low Center Dialog on BD movies

Is there a reason why the center channel is so low during BD movies? I dunno I have to crank up the volume and then the other channels become way too loud. I hate to mess with Audyeesy settings too...does anyone else have a problem with this?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

It could be a couple of things, but can you tell a little more about your set-up.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #3

Nov 2007

Onkyo 705
Onlyo 7.1 speakers
Playstation 3

I'm not a theater buff by any stretch of the means so I got these things from the reomendations from here, I dunno have to be doing SOMETHING wrong I never really get that "umph" that I got from my crappy Sony theater in a box.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellzSoup View Post
Is there a reason why the center channel is so low during BD movies? I dunno I have to crank up the volume and then the other channels become way too loud. I hate to mess with Audyeesy settings too...does anyone else have a problem with this?
i find audessey doesnt sound as good than when i do the settings myself, well, to me anyway... but with audessey, the center channel was a bit low so what i did is in the receiver settings menu, just turn up the dbs. you can also do this from the remote. from what i recall, if you do this from the remote, it wont change the audessy settings for the next time you turn on the receiver for a movie.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #5

Nov 2007

Edit: DARN IT! i forgot to ask the obvious!

* is your Dynamic Range Control set on?
* is your Dialogue Enhancer turned on?

if so on both the BD player and/or the receiver, turn them off and see how it sounds.

THEN do the following..

as mentioned it might be a number of factors
1. where is your center located?
2. the distance from your center speaker my be measured incorrect by your audessey program.
3. the level your center speaker is at versus your front speakers/ entire setup
4. the equalization used in the mcacc settings, might have it 'muffled'

kindly
1. take note of the initial settings found in your system
a. distance
b. db levels for each speaker
c. equalization - you can find EQ CHECK in one of the menus of the MCACC settings, take note of each speaker, and their settings.

2. try listening to any DD/DTS material using the BD player and the DIRECT settings on your setup. i know the setup would sound pretty 'bland' at this point, but more importantly, see how your center speaker is holding up.

3. adjust the settings to level out all of your speakers, and

4. remove equalization for the meantime.

5. adjust accordingly.

i always suggest purchasing a SPL meter for any home theater enthusiast, but it gets tiring to do that each time a problem comes around.

get back to us if you please.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Onkyo 705
Onlyo 7.1 speakers
Playstation 3

I'm not a theater buff by any stretch of the means so I got these things from the reomendations from here, I dunno have to be doing SOMETHING wrong I never really get that "umph" that I got from my crappy Sony theater in a box.
jomari has everything on point. I just want ask and if you can tell us which listening modes is displayed when you are watching TV or BD movies. My PS3 sometimes resets and I have to go in and re-check my audio to get that "umph".

I don't know why mine does this, it's not very often.

Last edited by HAMP; 08-28-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #7

Nov 2007

I don't think I have Dialog Enhancer option I sure wish I did!

as mentioned it might be a number of factors
1. where is your center located?
2. the distance from your center speaker my be measured incorrect by your audessey program.
3. the level your center speaker is at versus your front speakers/ entire setup
4. the equalization used in the mcacc settings, might have it 'muffled'

Center is located directly under the TV as the stand supports it plus I don't think I could put it on top of the TV.

2. Think so? That might be it but if I mess with raising the db of just the center it will still sound off.

3. I'd say the center is a good maybe 1-2 ft away from the other left and right front speakers, I have a small space.

4. MCACC sorry?

HAMP - I usually use Multichannel or THX with the DTS button lit up.

You guys are so nice and helpful here I love coming here.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #8

Aug 2009

yea i also had the same problem with my onkyo 605, while using the mic to set up my speakers, i found that my center wasnt clear, i lowered the other speakers by 1 dbs and added 1-2 dbs for my center. now when i watch blus its much better.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Well before we try some other stuff. You do have 'Dynamic Range Control' with the 705(I'm not 100% positive), but it is on the PS3

While watching a movie look on your receiver remote and look for a button 'L NIGHT', this button adjusts the Dynamic Range on the receiver. I believe the Dynamic range is really for Dolby Digital.

The 'Dynamic Range Control' is in the PS3 and to make that adjustment, go into your PS3 settings under 'Video Settings'.... Strange place to be, but it's there.

Another issue why the volume maybe low on the PS3 and then loud on TV channels, is It could be the input into the receiver. Each device has slightly different volume going into the receiver input.

To adjust the volume on the PS3 start watching a movie, use your PS3 remote and hit the and goto the little speaker and you will see volume control, this control goes from -4 to +4. Since you said the BD is so low, you should turn this up and this will/should bring the volume closer together.

Last edited by HAMP; 08-28-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Hamp I dont think you want to turn the PS3 volume up.. I have read a few places why you dont want to turn the volume up on the PS3 but can not remeber. I did the samething with mine and it sounded like crap.

I have the 705 and at first mine was very low but I went into the settings and turned down the fronts and went up a couple DB's higher on the center and it sounds perfect now.

Also since the center speaker is low you might want to try turning it upside down. Ideally the center sould be around ear level while sitting. I had mine on the bottom of the TV then moved it to the top and it made a big difference.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

I wouldn't touch the PS3's volume settings. Good opportunity to bring in clipping to the signal. That thing's not a dedicated receiver/amplifier.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

Nov 2007

Time to break this down a bit. first off, i dont have a 705, but im more than willing to try to read your manual the best i can. maybe the 705 owners can pitch in.

as you can see, the inquiries are here, and the potential solutions are in italics.

Quote:
I don't think I have Dialog Enhancer option I sure wish I did!
The dialogue enhancer is labeled... well, im still looking at your manual (i had to download it to assist you further so gimme a sec)...

1. There IS a late night function tho, so if ever, kindly turn this off
on your remote,
-press RECEIVER button
- then L NIGHT button on the far lower left corner repeatedly to set it OFF

Quote:
Center is located directly under the TV as the stand supports it plus I don't think I could put it on top of the TV.

2. Think so? That might be it but if I mess with raising the db of just the center it will still sound off.

3. I'd say the center is a good maybe 1-2 ft away from the other left and right front speakers, I have a small space.
at this point im not going to look into the current location. i think it might really be something in the 705's settings.

Quote:
4. MCACC sorry?

HAMP - I usually use Multichannel or THX with the DTS button lit up.
I forgot, you folks use Audessey.

2. Have you used the Audessey program by the way? if so, try to re-equalize it
on the Remote
- Press RECIEVER
- RE-EQ

and see if that makes a difference.

If ever youve done the Audessey program already, try to investigate its settings, and kindly see what ive posted earlier. as much as ive tried to tackle the obvious reasons it might be too 'low', i cant really assist more until i get to read further into your manual.

Plus, i just got up.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif32 View Post
Hamp I dont think you want to turn the PS3 volume up.. I have read a few places why you dont want to turn the volume up on the PS3 but can not remeber. I did the samething with mine and it sounded like crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
I wouldn't touch the PS3's volume settings. Good opportunity to bring in clipping to the signal. That thing's not a dedicated receiver/amplifier.
The way the OP stated, when he is listening to BD he has the volume up and then when he goes to watch TV the channels become way too loud.

It’s the 'way to loud from the TV that is getting me and I am wondering what level is the receiver at when watching BD. Maybe I should just ask “what is the volume number at on the PS3”.

I have turned my PS3 volume up to match the TV volume when I am switching back and forth from movies to broadcast. I am not saying turn it all the way up.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #14

Nov 2007

You guys are awesome when I get home from work (in the office till 7...) I'll reread this whole thread and make all the correct fixes
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #15

Nov 2007

print this out to make it easier for you.

might as well check on your calibration settings too, dont forget!

let us know how it works out for you campbell.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #16

Oct 2007
Default ditto

Quote:
I have the same amp and speakers in my bedroom set-up audysseyy is preety good at setting up your speakers regardless of what bad things you might hear about it with the 705 jus be sure to use all 8 parameters makes a huge difference for audysseyy after go back to spk settings and make sure there set to small and crossover at 80hz with a measuring tape go back and change the spk distances to what it actually is audyysseyy sometimes miss jus a lil dont change the distance on the sub in fact change nothing on the sub settings xcept xover set it to 120 to get the full signal dont make ne sounds when the tones are running and if you can leave the rooml completely while the tones play
Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #17

Oct 2008

I have a 705 an i'm running a Klipsch c-3 and its perfect!
Like everyone has stated you just need to do good rundown of all your settings
an boom that should do the trick
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion