Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: iTunes Originals: Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
$10.99

Vishal-Shekhar: Sultan (iTunes)
$3.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Guido and Maurizio De Angelis: G and M de Angelis Soundtrack (iTunes)
$8.99

Cody Jinks: Lifers (iTunes)
$6.99

Elvis Presley: Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite (iTunes)
$12.99

Marsha Ambrosius: Nyla (iTunes)
$7.99

Elvis Presley: Viva Elvis: The Album (iTunes)
$7.99

Various Artists: The Music of Grand Theft Auto V (iTunes)
$23.99

Original Cast Recording: Sunshine On Leith (iTunes)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:41 AM   #1

Mar 2021
Default Clipped Audio Tracks in Movies

Okay. I've come across this a few times when examining audio tracks for films. Is there a good explanation for what I see below?

Kill Bill Vol. 1 16-bit L-PCM 5.1 from Blu-ray:

https://imgur.com/Ai02P3p

Kill Bill Vol. 1 DTS 5.1 from Japanese DVD (Ignore extra length. Due to it being the uncut version of the film):

https://imgur.com/V0Ukb7g

Practically the same audio mix, with the volume cranked loud enough on the Blu-ray to cause clipping. I have discovered a 24-bit DTS-HD MA 5.1 track on another Blu-ray without any clipping, as it appears to be a different mix altogether.

I heard years ago that many people had an issue with Tron Legacy when it was first released on Blu-ray, so I decided to take a look at a later release with a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track and it seems they may have just used the previous clipped audio track and lowered the dB on it slightly, bar the rear channels, which clip:

https://imgur.com/5e7RmIt

Is Audacity just reading these incorrectly at all? If not, how common is it that audio tracks on Blu-rays and 4K UHD discs get the dynamic range butchered due to clipping or other means? I heard Disney crushes the DR on the audio mixes on their 4K UHD discs also.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Mar 2021

Ahh, it's such a tragedy. They really should just include high-end theatrical mixes with DR in tact, along with "home remixes" for those that use TV speakers, earplugs, soundbars, tablets, notebooks, etc as you say.

I'm not even against revisionist soundtracks with Atmos, etc but I am if they're going to crush the DR in the process.

In certain cases, such as the Kill Bill example above, I now have to choose between a lower bit-rate track from DVD with a slightly higher DR, or a higher bit-rate track from the Blu-ray that has been clipped.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion