Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: iTunes Originals: Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
$10.99

Vishal-Shekhar: Sultan (iTunes)
$3.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Guido and Maurizio De Angelis: G and M de Angelis Soundtrack (iTunes)
$8.99

Cody Jinks: Lifers (iTunes)
$6.99

Elvis Presley: Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite (iTunes)
$12.99

Marsha Ambrosius: Nyla (iTunes)
$7.99

Elvis Presley: Viva Elvis: The Album (iTunes)
$7.99

Various Artists: The Music of Grand Theft Auto V (iTunes)
$23.99

Original Cast Recording: Sunshine On Leith (iTunes)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Low dialog on Blu-Rays

I have a Mitsubishi LT-52149. It has one of those sound bars on it, and usually it's awesome, but there are some movies where the dialog is just drowned out by all the other sounds in the movie.

I tried to Google this problem, and several results pointed to the fact that audio comes out of a "center speaker" or something and that it might fix the quiet dialog problem if I were to raise the volume of this. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that, or even if it's possible. Being a sound bar, I'm not sure. The instruction book that came with the TV doesn't say you can do it.

There is also no option on the Blu-ray movie itself to amplify the dialog. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S350 and there doesn't seem to be any options on it that help it out either.

One thing that kind of works is to set the "Level Sound" option on the TV to "On" so that it levels out all the different kinds of sound. It's an okay alternative, but it's really not that great. At least you can usually understand the dialog if it's used.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

What audio codec are you using? Regular DD/DTS or lossless? Typically lossless is more dynamic- lower lows and higher highs (in volume). This is one of the problems with a soundbar solution. You've already found one of the solutions- use some form of DRC. Also try using DD or DTS instead of lossless if you're doing that. Outside of that with a soundbar, there's not much else to do except to turn up the volume so that dialog is at a level you like and leave the rest there as that's how its supposed to be.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #3

Oct 2008

It looks like my Blu-Ray player uses DTS, but it's set at "Downmix PCM." I don't know what any of that means, I think it's the default settings.

My DRC options are: Auto (currently set to this as default), Standard, TV Mode, and Wide Range.

I can't turn the volume up too high. The rest of the sounds will blow your eardrums out. It catches you off guard. You'll be straining to hear some dialog and then....BOOM...an action scene kicks in and the windows rattle.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Just go in to your receiver menu and adjust the center speaker level to your satisfaction.

Since my left/right speakers are driven by separate amplification that allows me to fine-tune the level with knobs (really nice ones! ) I can dial in the perfect level for center vs L/R channels.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

Oct 2008

I can't find where a receiver menu might be. Since the speaker bar is part of the TV I figured it'd be in the TV's audio menu...but I was wrong. After looking through the instruction manual, I'm not sure if this option can even be adjusted.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

It's not Blu-Rays BECAUSE they're Blu-Rays, it's just that some movies have a lower dialogue volume just like some have lower LFE levels. I have over 1600 titles on SDVD, 185 of those are Blu-Ray and some films simply have low dialogue volume. Crank up your center channel level and return to former level after the film.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #7

Oct 2008

But I don't really have a center speaker. It's just this sound bar. As far as I can tell it won't let me adjust any center speaker volume. I've been over the options on the TV and in the manual.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
It's not Blu-Rays BECAUSE they're Blu-Rays, it's just that some movies have a lower dialogue volume just like some have lower LFE levels. I have over 1600 titles on SDVD, 185 of those are Blu-Ray and some films simply have low dialogue volume. Crank up your center channel level and return to former level after the film.
He can't- he's on a soundbar. Same with adjusting the receiver- there is none.

Try the "TV" DRC and see how it sounds. You'll either have to use DRC, learn to watch movies as they're mixed (loud noises are SUPPOSED to be loud) or look into other speaker options.

This topic has come up enough times- lossless audio has a larger dynamic range.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

If you're running straight stereo, without a center speaker, there's not a lot you can do really. In 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, you use that center channel specifically for the voices. It helps a lot! If you're running at least 5.1, get a center channel speaker that matches your fronts in terms of tone or in comparison, those voices can sound hollow or muffled.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
If you're running straight stereo, without a center speaker, there's not a lot you can do really. In 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, you use that center channel specifically for the voices. It helps a lot! If you're running at least 5.1, get a center channel speaker that matches your fronts in terms of tone or in comparison, those voices can sound hollow or muffled.
It is a soundbar that either comes with the TV or is an add-on. It may or may not be stereo, 3.0 or emulating "Surround sound" with 5 speakers in it.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #11

Oct 2008

I'm just not sure. It just seems...unlikely that there is no way to correct such a major major fault in the audio. I know sound bars aren't the best equipment out there, but this one isn't bad, and I just find it hard to believe that it can't handle dialog for half the Blu-Rays out there.

No matter where it's set...Wide Range, TV, whatever...it's simply just low.

I guess I just don't know enough about this stuff. It is pretty frustrating. I just want to hear people talk clearly in the movie.

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I guess this expensive piece of equipment that's supposed to play good sound from Blu-rays simply can't play good sound from Blu-rays. Pretty disappointing.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #12

Jul 2007
Central NH

The soundbar virtually (note the word, means not really there) recreates your center speaker. This means that you can still set the level of a center channel feed to the soundbar unless you are only feeding 2 channel stereo to the soundbar. Go to your receiver and adjust the speaker levels. Usually you can select the size or range of the center channel as well as the distance from the listener. Try setting the center channel to large and or full range and see if that improves your sound. Most modern receivers have a setup option to auto set the levels using an included microphone. Read your manual.... and good luck

Page 27 of your Mitsubishi manual deals with connecting your A/V receiver with the soundbar. It mentions that some audio sources may need an analog connection if they don't pass audio correctly.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #13

Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ

Some Blu's default to lossless, some default to lossy. Your soundbar probably only handles lossy yet the Blu is set to lossless.

Always make sure your audio on the disk you are playing is set to output in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS.

Do not let it output in DTS MA, TrueHD or any HD audio codec.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

Oct 2008

I don't have a receiver. It's just a TV with a sound bar. A sound bar that looks like it just kind of does what it wants to. I'm hoping there's some secret way to fiddle with the settings for a "center channel" speaker dealio, but it's not in the manual that I can see.

I checked the Blu-ray disc itself and it is set to 5.1.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #15

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSeaMonkey View Post
I have a Mitsubishi LT-52149. It has one of those sound bars on it, and usually it's awesome, but there are some movies where the dialog is just drowned out by all the other sounds in the movie.

I tried to Google this problem, and several results pointed to the fact that audio comes out of a "center speaker" or something and that it might fix the quiet dialog problem if I were to raise the volume of this. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that, or even if it's possible. Being a sound bar, I'm not sure. The instruction book that came with the TV doesn't say you can do it.

There is also no option on the Blu-ray movie itself to amplify the dialog. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S350 and there doesn't seem to be any options on it that help it out either.

One thing that kind of works is to set the "Level Sound" option on the TV to "On" so that it levels out all the different kinds of sound. It's an okay alternative, but it's really not that great. At least you can usually understand the dialog if it's used.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.
Who makes the sound bar or is it attached to the Mitsubishi?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

couldn't find what player you are using..
(edit) ahh saw it... sony 350,

Last edited by gearyt; 01-16-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: whoops... bad insight
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #17

Dec 2007

Ok OP I see it comes with the set. They haven't posted the manual on the Mits site yet but you can adjust the channels individually.
"One of the key features of the integrated Sound Projector is its simple graphical user interface. Out-of-the-box, the iSP is set up to deliver optimal sound in a typical room setting. In a matter of minutes, the user can easily enter specific room dimensions as well as the location of main listening area. The iSP calculates the beam angles to provide the best sound for your room environment. If you would like to further fine tune your surround sound, the iSP provides you the ability to position each channel via a test tone and an easy to use graphical user interface. Through the simple on-screen display, you can adjust the location and sound level for each of the five surround channels. The output level for the sub is also directly controllable from the remote control." You will have to go into the menu and run the set-up (ensure that your room is quiet when you do). Then if you are not satisfied - return to the setup and tune the channels manually.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
couldn't find what player you are using..
(edit) ahh saw it... sony 350,

Hey Gearty, how ya doin'?! I checked with Mits and they say it can do 5.1 surround sound (It can't do the lossless codecs).

Last edited by gearyt; 01-16-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: bad insight
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #19

Jun 2007

i found this dude. i hope it helps you. there is a way to adjust center speaker and other stuff this sound bar does. its pretty cool with 16 speakers.
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...tv/index1.html
good luck
chuck
Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #20

Jun 2007

you are looking for custom setting of the ISP and there you can adjust levels and distances from walls etc..
kind of like the Bose theory of re flicking of sound. sorry for my spelling.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion