Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Fall (Blu-ray)
$21.99
15 hrs ago
French Noir Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
3 hrs ago
Gorgeous (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 day ago
Casablanca 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.35
15 hrs ago
Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.99
10 hrs ago
Moonage Daydream (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The War of the Worlds 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Invitation (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
WALL•E 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.45

Mystery Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Fog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #37641
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I do like westerns, and have Open Range (2003) on a decent DVD.

Waiting for BD, which could be a long (Disney) wait.
Open Range is available on blu-ray in 7 other countries (U.K, Germany, France, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Italy) and at very affordable prices. They are probably all Region B locked, so you need either a region free blu-ray player or the ability to rip the disc to your own server or computer.

This is the German one and it has English audio and subtitles:

Last edited by Vilya; 08-13-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (08-14-2022), gotmule (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:56 PM   #37642
Special Member

Feb 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Open Range is available on blu-ray in 7 other countries (U.K, Germany, France, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Italy) and at very affordable prices. They are probably all Region B locked, so you need either a region free blu-ray player or the ability to rip the disc to your own server or computer.

This is the German one and it has English subtitles:

Yes, thank you. Should've clarified--no Region A or region-free BD, which is what I need.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #37643
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

I tried the region trick on my Panasonic UB9000 the other day.

I have a Region 2 Blu Ray of The Big Blue.

Put in the disc and hit play ... it went back to the main menu. Hit Top Menu and I was at the disc main menu like it was nothing special.

In short .... it worked ! ... I don't have many region 2 blu rays (maybe only the one that I know works) but I can dig out lots of old Region 2 Dvds to try if I ever want to.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #37644
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I tried the region trick on my Panasonic UB9000 the other day.

I have a Region 2 Blu Ray of The Big Blue.

Put in the disc and hit play ... it went back to the main menu. Hit Top Menu and I was at the disc main menu like it was nothing special.

In short .... it worked ! ... I don't have many region 2 blu rays (maybe only the one that I know works) but I can dig out lots of old Region 2 Dvds to try if I ever want to.
I love that movie! I need to import the blu-ray as I only haz the DVD.

Just an fyi, Blu-rays have lettered regions: A, B, and C. The Big Blue is Region B.
DVDs have numerical codes: 0-9.

I'm glad that the Panny trick worked for you, but you should own a dedicated region free blu-ray player. They are very inexpensive and they play all DVDs with no need to switch from one region to another, but you do have to choose which blu-ray region you want to view as needed. I just set mine to Region B and forget about it. I use my main players for all Region A stuff. I have never encountered a Region C disc.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:15 AM   #37645
Special Member

Feb 2010

Quote:

This is the German one and it has English audio and subtitles:

Maybe with the popularity of Costner in Yellowstone, there would be interest in finding a way to have it released here. I too have the dvd and always remembered the gunfight was dynamic as hell for back in the day.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #37646
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Attachment 279864

I know all you guys like Westerns, well this one is one of the Best. It's on Sale for $5 on Vudu. Lots of other ones too!
I have the French import BD. It's a great film.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #37647
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Quote:
I'm glad that the Panny trick worked for you, but you should own a dedicated region free blu-ray player. They are very inexpensive and they play all DVDs with no need to switch from one region to another, but you do have to choose which blu-ray region you want to view as needed. I just set mine to Region B and forget about it. I use my main players for all Region A stuff. I have never encountered a Region C disc.
Thank you, I may do that. I think even a cheap off the shelf player lets you change the region a handful of times and I would only need to set it to B/2

-B

Last edited by bhampton; 08-14-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #37648
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I have the French import BD. It's a great film.
Same here for Open Range.

Do you have Lonesome Dove? If not, check it out. IMO, one of the best made for TV ever. Jones and Duvall can be quite funny at times. Also have Duvall in Secondhand Lions, Tender Mercies and several others.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #37649
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I had cataract surgery a year ago and had some complications with one eye which left me unable to see out of it the next day. Everything is fine now, but I would challenge the idea of "No big deal."
Quote:
A friend of mine is having cataract surgery on both of his eyes beginning this week; they are doing one eye this week and the other one a week later.

He has really been through the wringer with eye surgeries this year. He had to have retinal reattachment surgery done in both eyes earlier this year and now this on top of it. Retinal reattachment was a hugely big deal, but in his case this upcoming cataracts surgery is far from routine.

I sure hope that everything goes well for him. We have been friends since the third grade; no one else has ever been able to put up with me for anywhere near that long.
Yes like with any surgery there can be complications and it is the reason that they never do both eyes at the same time as a precaution, let the first one heal and then the next one. I just don't think it should be something he is overly concerned about, my post was meant as encouragement and not dismissal.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (08-14-2022), Vilya (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #37650
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Do you have Lonesome Dove? If not, check it out. IMO, one of the best made for TV ever. Jones and Duvall can be quite funny at times. Also have Duvall in Secondhand Lions, Tender Mercies and several others.

I have never seen Lonesome Dove. Always heard good things about it, though.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #37651
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Thank you, I may do that. I think even a cheap off the shelf player lets you change the region a handful of times and I would only need to set it to B/2

-B
You can change the region as often as you like, but seeing as there are only three regions for blu-ray I just set my region free blu-ray player to Region B and forgedda about it. While I have several Region B blu-rays I have never once come across a Region C blu-ray.

Also, you never have to do any region switching for DVD. A region free blu-ray player will play DVDs of any region automatically.

I bought mine from 220 Electronics:

https://www.220-electronics.com/regi...y-players.html

Their prices can be a little misleading in that you have to manually check off a box on the product page to get region ABC blu-ray capability; usually for an extra $40.

Example:

https://www.220-electronics.com/sony...t-wifi-3d.html

Under the HDMI cable offer you will see what I'm talking about. The true price for this particular region free blu-ray player would thus be $189.

Last edited by Vilya; 08-14-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #37652
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Yes like with any surgery there can be complications and it is the reason that they never do both eyes at the same time as a precaution, let the first one heal and then the next one. I just don't think it should be something he is overly concerned about, my post was meant as encouragement and not dismissal.
I don't think anyone felt that you were trivializing the matter. Encouragement is always welcome.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #37653
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Encouragement is always welcome.
Apologies for jumping in on a thread I don't participate in, but I just wanted to add some further encouragement for anyone who is about to have cataract surgery. My father had surgery on both eyes several years ago now - there was about a month or so delay before operating on the second eye. Everything went smoothly and my dad was really pleased with how things worked out.

A few years later, my mother had the same thing - both eyes again but with several months delay before they operated on her second eye due to the Covid restrictions. However all went well thankfully when she eventually had her other eye sorted.

It goes without saying, as already mentioned, that there are some risks as with any form of surgery, but I just wanted to make a small contribution to say that cataract surgery is generally very successful.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (08-15-2022), gotmule (08-15-2022), Steedeel (08-14-2022), Vilya (08-14-2022), Wendell R. Breland (08-15-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #37654
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Apologies for jumping in on a thread I don't participate in, but I just wanted to add some further encouragement for anyone who is about to have cataract surgery. My father had surgery on both eyes several years ago now - there was about a month or so delay before operating on the second eye. Everything went smoothly and my dad was really pleased with how things worked out.

A few years later, my mother had the same thing - both eyes again but with several months delay before they operated on her second eye due to the Covid restrictions. However all went well thankfully when she eventually had her other eye sorted.

It goes without saying, as already mentioned, that there are some risks as with any form of surgery, but I just wanted to make a small contribution to say that cataract surgery is generally very successful.
You never need to apologize. You are welcome anywhere you care to visit.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (08-14-2022), gotmule (08-15-2022), Steedeel (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #37655
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You never need to apologize. You are welcome anywhere you care to visit.
I second that.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #37656
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Picked up Crystal Lake Memories. 6+ hour documentary on the making of all the F13th films.

Also, the Blu-ray of the original I.T (made for tv).

4K wise, hoping to pick up Men soon. Only available in Germany so far, but don’t care as long as it’s a good transfer.
Thanks given by:
crutzulee (08-15-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #37657
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - audiophile/videophile

Box Office: ‘Bullet Train’ Leads Ho-Hum Weekend With $13.4M as ‘Top Gun 2’ Revs the Engines - Hollywood Reporter 8/14

Elsewhere, specialty film 'Bodies Bodies Bodies' begins to expand nationwide.

Quote:
David Leitch’s action-packed Bullet Train, starring Brad Pitt as a hellbent assassin, easily stayed atop the box office chart in its second weekend as no new Hollywood summer even pic opened nationwide.

In normal times, studios would continue to release event films throughout August. This year is different as the entertainment business emerges from the pandemic and grapples with production and post-production delays. Overall revenue for the weekend was around $66 million, a low point for summer 2022.

Bullet Train is considered the last big Hollywood studio title of summer 2022. The film is doing OK business and earned $13.4 million in its second outing weekend from 4,357 theaters for a 10-day domestic total of $54.2 million. One hitch: even with little competition, Bullet Train fell 54 percent from its opening weekend, although that isn’t unusual for a male-skewing action pic.

Overseas, Bullet Train also continued to speed along, earning another $17 million fro a foreign tally of $60 million and global total of $114.5 million.

Elsewhere, Top Gun: Maverick made an impressive comeback in its 12th weekend, thanks to upping its theater count from 2,760 to 3,181 locations, including premium screen venues, as part of a special fan appreciation event. The Paramount and Skydance earned an estimated $7.2 million for the weekend from 3,181 cinemas. It’s certain now that the Tom Cruise movie will jump the $700 million mark domestically. (Globally, it has earned north of $1.35 billion, one of the best showings of all time.)

Holdovers DC League of Super-Pets, Nope and Thor: Love and Thunder rounded out the top five.

DC League of Super-Pets, from Warner Bros., finished its third Sunday with a global total of $109.7 million, including $58.3 million domestically.

Disney and Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder stayed high up on the chart for a new global total of $720 million, the highest in the standalone Thor series.

Nope finished the weekend with a global haul of $113.9 million, including $107.5 million domestically, while fellow Universal release Minions: The Rise of Gru is at nearly $800 million globally with $790.4 million. On Sunday, Universal became the first Hollywood studio since 2019 to amass $3 billion in ticket sales at the global box office, according to the studios.

Other titles cracking the top 10 chart include A24’s specialty film Bodies Bodies Bodies, which looks to come in No. 8 with an estimated $3.3 million from 928 theaters for an early total of $3.6 million. Directed by Halina Reijn, the black comedy turns the slasher genre on its head and stars Amandla Stenberg, Maria Bakalova, Pete Davidson, Rachel Sennott, Myha’la Herrold, Chase Sui Wonders and Lee Pace. A24 is rolling out the film slowly throughout the month; it began its run in a smattering of cinemas last weekend.

Another new offering this weekend is Lionsgate’s Fall, an adventure-thriller about a group of climbers. The movie, directed by Scott Mann and starring Grace Caroline Currey and Virginia Gardner, may fall outside the top 10 with a projected $2.5 million debut from 1,548 locations.

Indie distributor Gravitas Ventures is also taking advantage of the slowdown in summer tentpole fare. The company is releasing Mack and Rita in roughly 2,000 theaters, albeit to dismal results. The adult-skewing comedy — starring Elizabeth Lail as a 30-year-old woman who wakes up after a bachelorette party to discover she is 70 years old, with the older version of herself played by Diane Keaton — is reporting a weekend opening of $1.1 million, although other analysts have that estimate closer to $1 million.

Fall received a B CinemaScore from audiences, while Mack and Rita flunked with a rare D+.

Mack and Rita could be beat by this weekend’s rerelease of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which earned an estimated $1.1 to $1.2 million from only 389 theaters.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-14-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:23 AM   #37658
Special Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I have not seen Lonesome Dove, but I finally got around to grabbing Deadwood and plan on starting that series soon.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #37659
Power Member

Jun 2012

My biggest fear with physical media is not that it would go away but that I'm quickly running out of space...

I have an entire wall from floor to ceiling dedicated to movies and I have one shelf left that is empty. After that, I don't know what I'm going to do. It's getting to the point now where I hesistated buying a movie recently (Alien vs. Predator: Requiem) because it's not a very good movie and is just going to take up one more space on the shelf. I had to debate being a completionist vs. saving space and I really don't like that.

I view my collection as a personal library and I like knowing on the rare chance that I do want to watch AVP, it's on the shelf. Still, this space thing is a problem. It might even get to a point where I have to simply get a bigger house (a little extreme) or, convert an entire room into a media room with shelves even in the middle of the room like a library.

It's either that or go through the entire collection and curate it down to only movies I really love and would watch again. That would just to be too difficult and I know I'd regret it.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #37660
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
My biggest fear with physical media is not that it would go away but that I'm quickly running out of space...

I have an entire wall from floor to ceiling dedicated to movies and I have one shelf left that is empty. After that, I don't know what I'm going to do. It's getting to the point now where I hesistated buying a movie recently (Alien vs. Predator: Requiem) because it's not a very good movie and is just going to take up one more space on the shelf. I had to debate being a completionist vs. saving space and I really don't like that.

I view my collection as a personal library and I like knowing on the rare chance that I do want to watch AVP, it's on the shelf. Still, this space thing is a problem. It might even get to a point where I have to simply get a bigger house (a little extreme) or, convert an entire room into a media room with shelves even in the middle of the room like a library.

It's either that or go through the entire collection and curate it down to only movies I really love and would watch again. That would just to be too difficult and I know I'd regret it.
I have a hard time visualizing how you would be running out of space if the numbers under your screen name are accurate. It looks like you only have about 1100 titles.

Just one of my 6' high by 3' foot wide shelving units hold 560 titles and I have three such units per wall holding a grand total of 1680 titles.

You state that your shelves go all the way to the ceiling. Ceiling height in homes vary, but they are usually at least 8'. Your single wall of shelving should easily be able to accommodate your collection to at least 1890-2100 titles if your shelves are truly going from floor to an 8' high ceiling. Do you anticipate doubling the size of your library any time soon?

I have a small home myself and I have no problem storing my 8000+ title collection in their original cases. While I have no way of knowing how your home is organized, I just can't imagine how a collection of your size is a problem even if you were to double or triple its size.

Last edited by Vilya; 08-15-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology