Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
8 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Far from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #301
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Not everyone paid $7,000 for the PRO-141FD years ago. Some people paid around $5,000 on sale. Some people paid around $3,500 on clearance after Pioneer left the plasma business.

People make personal decisions on what home, car, and TV to purchase. Some people drive a 20 year old car so they can afford to have the latest home theater equipment.

Also I have no problems with people that decide to spend $300,000-$600,000 on a home IMAX setup with DLP projectors.

I post information on equipment that is $10 and sometimes equipment that is $600,000. I treat a homeless person the same as I treat a billionaire. Everyone has different income levels and makes personal decisions on what they do with the money that they have.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #302
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

All of the last several posts are correct and I love and still own a KRP500M and a Panasonic 65ZT60 PDP. I also own a couple OLED TVs and can say without any doubt the new OLED TVs are a significant upgrade from the mighty Kuros.

As TitusTroy correctly said OLED’s are the only display technology that delivers pure black and that trumps the best PDP in their strongest suit, MLL, but even more important is the new 4K HDR TV System that these new OLEDs deliver in all of its glory.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (12-30-2018), HDTV1080P (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #303
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
All of the last several posts are correct and I love and still own a KRP500M and a Panasonic 65ZT60 PDP. I also own a couple OLED TVs and can say without any doubt the new OLED TVs are a significant upgrade from the mighty Kuros.

As TitusTroy correctly said OLED’s are the only display technology that delivers pure black and that trumps the best PDP in their strongest suit, MLL, but even more important is the new 4K HDR TV System that these new OLEDs deliver in all of its glory.

And that is what basically all the professional reviews are mentioning. The Pioneer plasmas have better motion resolution when compared to OLED. However OLED overall is better then a Pioneer plasma because of deeper blacks then the Pioneer plasma, 4K resolution compared to only 1080P on a plasma, plus HDR is the biggest benefit.

Sometimes I can go a decade or more without upgrading my equipment. Pioneer plasmas was King of flat panels for several years until 4K Ultra HD OLED flat panels started appearing on the market.

However personally I do not want to upgrade my equipment every year since its too time consuming to research new equipment and get rid of the old. However that being said I am interested in both a high-end projector for my main home theater room and a OLED flat panel for my bedroom one day.

If companies start making OLED displays and projectors with all the HDR formats like HDR10+, Philips Technicolor HDR, and Dolby Vision HDR then I would be interested in upgrading. A high-end OLED display and projector really needs all the HDR formats included even if its a extra $500+ cost to the consumer. I would love to see 3-D OLED screens also, but that might never come back.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-25-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (12-26-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #304
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
wasn't the biggest feature of the Kuro's the zero blacks?...but now OLED's have zero blacks so doesn't that make them the new top dog?
Technically yes. As it turns out though some still prefer the kuro plasma look. Plasmas have that certain picture that OLED and LCD's can't replicate. Add that to the superior motion and motion resoluion, still amazing blacks, realistic accurate colors, best viewing angles and uniformity(?) and you have a display that can overall still please people.

Speaking of colors. I've heard it mentioned that the kuro colors look more real, that there's a certain glow and texture to them and skin tones that they prefer over LCD and OLED. Well what they're talking about can been seen in these SPD graphs

OLED

kuro

The OLED graph colors are blended together and the energy is low. While the kuro is more narrow and higher and more separated. It has much stronger energy to the colors which translates to that richly organic look to them. So while OLED may have more colors, some may find that they still like the way they look on a plasma. Could be because OLED is a WRGB display compared to a true RGB plasma.

Yeah OLED should be the top display with 0 blacks, 4K, and HDR. There are things a plasma can do better overall that some might find they like.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (12-30-2018), HerrDoktorBD (12-31-2018), Robert Zohn (01-04-2019), turns2stone (12-30-2018)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #305
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:

It’s so true, while they may not own the last gen of Kuros or 60-series Panny plasmas in every single category, the overall upgrade is undeniable. I’ve gone from a 60VT60 to a 65” Panasonic 950EZ 4K OLED and I blown away by the OLED picture, absolutely stunning.

Last edited by dobyblue; 01-04-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-04-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #306

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

I would take my perfect 5020 Kuro back Dnice bought and not cry a bit selling my Sony 65" A1E OLED freds. I never watch 4K anyways.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #307
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I would take my perfect 5020 Kuro back Dnice bought and not cry a bit selling my Sony 65" A1E OLED freds. I never watch 4K anyways.
What?
Thanks given by:
Autumn Shroud (01-06-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #308
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
As much as I love my KRP-500M (same TV as your 5020 w/Pioneer's Elite 10Gen panel) it is no comparison the the overall picture quality that your Sony A1E should be delivering.

Just considering the contrast ratio along, peak luminance and minimum luminance level your A1E crushes the best PDP ever made.

I must assume you have a defective A1E or have very bad picture mode and settings. Please try a factory reset and then only use the Cinema mode and please report back.

You are a well respected member and I'd like to help you get all you deserve from your beautiful OLED TV.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #309
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
As much as I love my KRP-500M (same TV as your 5020 w/Pioneer's Elite 10Gen panel) it is no comparison the the overall picture quality that your Sony A1E should be delivering.

Just considering the contrast ratio along, peak luminance and minimum luminance level your A1E crushes the best PDP ever made.

I must assume you have a defective A1E or have very bad picture mode and settings. Please try a factory reset and then only use the Cinema mode and please report back.

You are a well respected member and I'd like to help you get all you deserve from your beautiful OLED TV.
I'd have to agree, any of these OLED's beside even the last Kuro made never mind the 5020, you'll quickly see the Kuro's black levels are anything but perfect. It's amazing how grey 0.00001 can look beside 0.000000000000 blacks. lol

Even that 1080p LG from the 2014 shootout slaughtered all the other panels on the wall for black levels.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #310
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Ok guys, lets not detest peoples preferences. We get it, OLED is the next best thing.

I already addressed why even in light of 4KHDR0mll why someone would want to keep their plasma. No TV is perfect obviously. It's the trade offs and overall performance one can find acceptable.

Last edited by saprano; 01-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Thanks given by:
Fasteddie516 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #311
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Detest? That's a peculiar statement, everyone here is stating their prefences. I've been a plasma fan for 10+ years, have been one of the most active thread starters and posters in the plasma forum here during the format's heyday - the one or two advantages my VT60 had are massively outweighed by my new Panny OLED's overall PQ. I don't detest your preference at all, why do you feel the need to phrase it like that? I won't apologize for my preference.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #312
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Maybe detest wasn't the right word use. It seems people are always surprised when a kuro is still preferred over newer TV's. Don't see why honestly. It still has a stunning picture and a unique look.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #313
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

I have a Plasma and it still looks good, but for the superior video quality of 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and other features, I choose the OLED over the Plasma any day. The most disadvantage of the Pioneer Kuro, or any other plasma TVs is that, they cannot be updated to modern technology.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-11-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #314
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Detest? That's a peculiar statement, everyone here is stating their prefences. I've been a plasma fan for 10+ years, have been one of the most active thread starters and posters in the plasma forum here during the format's heyday - the one or two advantages my VT60 had are massively outweighed by my new Panny OLED's overall PQ. I don't detest your preference at all, why do you feel the need to phrase it like that? I won't apologize for my preference.
Forget Panasonic OLED's, they don't sell them in the U.S. Panasonic's name is mud! They're unamerican.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #315
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Maybe detest wasn't the right word use. It seems people are always surprised when a kuro is still preferred over newer TV's. Don't see why honestly. It still has a stunning picture and a unique look.
Basically, OLEDs and high end LEDs motion compared to Plasma suck. Also, they don't do too well with poor sources like Cable TV and sports.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 AM   #316

Jan 2011

I'd love to see a truly high end plasma and 4K OLED to really compare for myself, but currently I use Sony's flagship XBR960 HDCRT and it still blows me away. The color and black levels are absolutely amazing despite only being 1080i.

Plus I only paid $50 bucks for it which has all of Sony's years of CRT construction behind it. It even allows you to disable the inherent red push of NTSC CRTs.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #317
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I'd love to see a truly high end plasma and 4K OLED to really compare for myself, but currently I use Sony's flagship XBR960 HDCRT and it still blows me away. The color and black levels are absolutely amazing despite only being 1080i.

Plus I only paid $50 bucks for it which has all of Sony's years of CRT construction behind it. It even allows you to disable the inherent red push of NTSC CRTs.
My very first HDTV was a 1080i Hitatchi 50" CRT. At the time, I thought it was the best looking picture available outside of the Pioneer Elites. However it WAS a tank that took up a lot of room. It's a shame that Hitatchi got out of the TV business. Their sets had some beautiful PQ back then.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs