Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nikita: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£14.00

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Dragon Fist (Blu-ray)
£9.99
16 hrs ago
To Kill with Intrigue (Blu-ray)
£9.99
14 hrs ago
Black Panther 3D (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 3D (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Othello (Blu-ray)
£25.99
14 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Suits: Season Seven (Blu-ray)
£14.39

Thor: Ragnarok (Blu-ray)
£9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Banned

Jun 2012
UK
United Kingdom Fortitude Blu Ray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortitude-Se...titude+blu+ray

I think I will be picking this up when this brilliant series is available on Blu. Sort of Twin Peaks on ice. Great stuff.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Don't get me wrong, I like Fortitude but saying it's Twin Peaks-y is doing a disservice to David Lynch. I've seen it mentioned a few times but Twin Peaks is pretty unique, and Fortitude lacks all it's charm, warmth and humour.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

Watched the first episode and wasn't really hooked, seems like a better viewing in bulk, might pick it up a tad cheaper.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

is this a mini series or is this meant for a long running show ?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
I would have thought it will be a open ended season with a resolution to this season's events. I haven't read anything about another season.

Do people think this show is science-fiction or a horror-thriller?
[Show spoiler]I'm not sure myself but it seems to hint at science-fiction but there are rational explanations to events. My imagination seems to run away with me but it's certainly playing on the science-fiction clichés!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Do people think this show is science-fiction or a horror-thriller?
[Show spoiler]I'm not sure myself but it seems to hint at science-fiction but there are rational explanations to events. My imagination seems to run away with me but it's certainly playing on the science-fiction clichés!
I think that's ultimately what threw me off with the first episode, it was billed as some sort of Nordic Noir series, but you had the
[Show spoiler]graphic aftermath of Christopher Eccleston's death, the weird fossilised creature, mention of quarantining the area and a pig in a incubator
, I was just asking myself where's the jumping in point, where am I supposed to get involved in what's going on?

That's not to say what the show is doesn't work or I would want it to be more normal and easier to understand, the fact that the story continues in these strange ways is interesting and makes me want to watch it, but for what was hyped as one of the most expensive British TV Productions, I was thinking there would of been more of a hook after the opening episode.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
I think that's ultimately what threw me off with the first episode, it was billed as some sort of Nordic Noir series, but you had the
[Show spoiler]graphic aftermath of Christopher Eccleston's death, the weird fossilised creature, mention of quarantining the area and a pig in a incubator
, I was just asking myself where's the jumping in point, where am I supposed to get involved in what's going on?

That's not to say what the show is doesn't work or I would want it to be more normal and easier to understand, the fact that the story continues in these strange ways is interesting and makes me want to watch it, but for what was hyped as one of the most expensive British TV Productions, I was thinking there would of been more of a hook after the opening episode.
There's a bit where there's a droning ominous music cue and you start to think there's something else going on. Later on, an event happens and unless it's part of some serious psychosis, it's very sci-fi.

Whether it's intentionally playing on our conventions or not, I'm not sure, but, I think some people will be disappointed with the resolution if it goes one way or another.

I haven't heard it been billed as supernatural or science-fiction, but to me it feels like Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets The Thing from Another World!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

Jun 2012
USA/UK

I expected a crime-thiller, almost a True Detective on ice type-of-thing. So I've been hugely disappointed so far.

The acting is great, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the music is effective... I just feel like the plot is lacking and a bit all over the place, which is frustrating given to top-notch talent involved.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Banned

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlovesmovies View Post
I expected a crime-thiller, almost a True Detective on ice type-of-thing. So I've been hugely disappointed so far.

The acting is great, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the music is effective... I just feel like the plot is lacking and a bit all over the place, which is frustrating given to top-notch talent involved.
The plot as far as I can see is supposed to be that way, keeps you guessing.

@Chip.
As for the Twin Peaks comment it was more to do with it being off the wall very similar to TP in a way..........nothing is as it seems.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #10

May 2013
Wales

I loved the first 4 episodes, I still haven't watched the last 4.

I don't really find it similar to Twin Peaks though (Cannot wait for the new season of that next year BTW! ).
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
@Chip.
As for the Twin Peaks comment it was more to do with it being off the wall very similar to TP in a way..........nothing is as it seems.
I think of Twin Peaks and I think quirky offbeat oddball characters, all dancing to the music playing in their heads. The show is well worth the effort if anyone's curious but it's inhabitants aren't that interesting, even if they're excellently portrayed!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #12

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlovesmovies View Post
I expected a crime-thiller, almost a True Detective on ice type-of-thing. So I've been hugely disappointed so far
I expected the same but love that its gone off in mental directions!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Review of the US set is up:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forti...120878/#Review

4xBD-50 apparently, with DTS-HD MA 2.0 audio and English SDH subtitles.

So far, Amazon have listed the Warner UK BD at...2 discs (and the UK DVD at 3 discs). So hopefully, that changes. If this is native 1080/50i (shot in Iceland) then I'd prefer to import a 50Hz version--but not if WB fail at the compression stage.
Thanks given by:
Mr Kite (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Sky have renewed for series 2
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/04/sky-...-for-season-2/
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #15

Jan 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
If this is native 1080/50i (shot in Iceland) then I'd prefer to import a 50Hz version--but not if WB fail at the compression stage.
How does one find out whether a TV show was shot in 1080/50i or 1080p? I was about to order the US BD of "Fortitude", but didn't, because I was unsure about this. I bought on sale the UK BD of the recent show "Intruders" which was 1080/50i, but the US set is 1080p - I have no idea which is the correct version. Same with "Endeavour", which is only out on BD in the US, in 1080p (series 1) and 1080/60i (series 2).
Old 04-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
How does one find out whether a TV show was shot in 1080/50i or 1080p? I was about to order the US BD of "Fortitude", but didn't, because I was unsure about this. I bought on sale the UK BD of the recent show "Intruders" which was 1080/50i, but the US set is 1080p - I have no idea which is the correct version. Same with "Endeavour", which is only out on BD in the US, in 1080p (series 1) and 1080/60i (series 2).
Endeavour is almost certainly 1080/50i as it's made by ITV for UK TV and overseas sales are ancillary. Pity ITV don't believe in BD in the UK.

Fortitude unfortunately is less clear as it was an international co-production although lead by Sky.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
It just felt like it
Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2010
Derby UK

Has anyone else noticed that the aspect ratio changes from episode to episode?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Unless that half hour featurette has been split up into several 2/3 minute chunks, looks like the UK will be getting different bonus features.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
Unless that half hour featurette has been split up into several 2/3 minute chunks, looks like the UK will be getting different bonus features.
The 2/3 minute chunks are those available on Sky's OnDemand so they are obviously just recycling them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland