Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
World of Wong Kar Wai (Blu-ray)
$159.99
1 day ago
Accepted (Blu-ray)
$8.99
14 hrs ago
Groundhog Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
The Invisible Man Appears / The Invisible Man vs The Human Fly (Blu-ray)
$39.99
20 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$81.99

Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.32

2012 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
5 hrs ago
V for Vendetta 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Us 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.43

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #29581
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

@ Vilya

Have you tried Dolby Upmixer or DTS Neural X with any non immersive content?
Thanks given by:
Vilya (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #29582
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The Panasonic 4K disc players have a button pressing trick on the remote that often, but not always, allows for all region playback. The necessary button sequence has been posted in the Panasonic thread many times.
Have not looked into that aspect of the Pannys. Had saw them listed at 220-Electronics so assumed they would need a mod.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #29583
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
@ Vilya

Have you tried Dolby Upmixer or DTS Neural X with any non immersive content?
I have not watched any non-immersive content yet; still having too much fun being immersed.

I am guessing that these two settings simulate an Atmos like effect for non-immersive content? If so, I will give it a try eventually. You, and others, have given me quite the Atmos watchlist to work my way through.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #29584
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Have not looked into that aspect of the Pannys. Had saw them listed at 220-Electronics so assumed they would need a mod.
The modded players offer multi-region playback with far better reliability. The "top menu trick" apparently works best with locked titles distributed by some licensees, but not so well with titles from the big studios themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The top menu trick does not work with the vast majority of locked titles from major studios. It's indie stuff like Criterion and Arrow where it works more often than not, though not all indies use the same type of authoring so releases from Kino and Shout rarely work either.
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #29585
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

How Foreign Streamers Could Save a Canadian Industry on the Brink - Hollywood Reporter 1/18/2021

Canada forcing Netflix and other foreign streamers to pour $800 million annually into local Canadian content will be a lifeline for world-beating creators, say Bill C-10 supporters.

Quote:
Canadian TV producer Gordon Loverin recently opened an email from Netflix after pitching the American streaming giant on Kanata, a fantasy sci-fi series about First Nation explorers landing on the shores of Europe in 1492 to save their people from extinction.

To his surprise, Loverin and Kanata co-creator and co-writer Pamela Jones discovered they'd been plucked from among 10,000 submissions from Canadian producers to formally pitch their TV series to Netflix in mid-January. "We knew we had a good project. But we weren't holding our breath, and boy were we excited. I literally jumped out of my office chair," Loverin tells The Hollywood Reporter.

After the success of homegrown hits like the Emmy-winning Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience on Netflix, the Kanata creators are following an increasingly well-trod path to the international market for Canadian creators. Originally developed at the CBC, Canada's public broadcaster, the what-if drama was pitched as an Indigenous Game of Thrones at the Banff World Media Festival, only to be judged too costly to be financed and produced only out of Canada.
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #29586
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
How Foreign Streamers Could Save a Canadian Industry on the Brink - Hollywood Reporter 1/18/2021

Canada forcing Netflix and other foreign streamers to pour $800 million annually into local Canadian content will be a lifeline for world-beating creators, say Bill C-10 supporters.
Imo, if you canít beat em, rob em.
Old Today, 01:15 AM   #29587
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Imo, if you can’t beat em, rob em.
I think we have to recognize the industry uses whatever resources they have available to select from. Perhaps we will see a lot more variation of content then ideas that were rejected now being written/filmed than whatever a studio provides. I have seen a lot of USA shows filmed in parts of Canada as examples. I am sure what you watch in the UK, its not all local either.
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #29588
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
I and others are fortunate to have an Oppo with a region free kit attached/installed. I forgot to mention this to gotmule when he said he may sell is Oppo.
I thought of that also before I ordered the Panny, but the only disc I really wanted at this time was Mr Mercedes, and I have close to 200 discs I own that have never been played along with 20 pieces of vinyl. My collection pales in comparison to Vilya levels, but I still have more than enough to keep me occupied without going outside the US.
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #29589
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
I thought of that also before I ordered the Panny, but the only disc I really wanted at this time was Mr Mercedes, and I have close to 200 discs I own that have never been played along with 20 pieces of vinyl. My collection pales in comparison to Vilya levels, but I still have more than enough to keep me occupied without going outside the US.
Having the ability to play discs from any region isn't so much about having an even bigger collection than domestic selection alone makes possible, but rather it is about being able to buy and play that one special movie, or special edition, that you really, really want no matter where in the world it is offered. It is about having access to any movie made (on disc) anywhere.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (Today)
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #29590
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

VLC 3.0.12 is now out!

Support for Apple Silicon (Mac M1) and Big Sur, improvements for DASH, RIST, Bluray support, fixes for macOS audio, Windows GPU, crashes and security issues.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology