Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
23 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
8 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
5 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #21

Aug 2011

Yes, can't say enough good things about saga. Still undecided on whether to start with the single issues though.

Another newer series I recommend is Hawkeye. Great so far. It basically chronicles Clint in his time off from the Avengers. Add it to your sub and you wont regret it.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant View Post
Yes, can't say enough good things about saga. Still undecided on whether to start with the single issues though.

Another newer series I recommend is Hawkeye. Great so far. It basically chronicles Clint in his time off from the Avengers. Add it to your sub and you wont regret it.
The first issue, if you want a first printing in NM/M condition can fetch around $25 but that is still fairly affordable. Since it is an ongoing series and has unlimited potential, that price could continue to grow higher and higher so now would be the time to go back and get them if you care about which printing it is, etc. I have an extra #1 that I was probably going to put on eBay.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant View Post

Well, I could recommend the trade if money is an issue and then pick up with the 7th issue next month (they took 2 months off to catch up)

Aja's work on this is the best stuff he has done since Iron Fist and I never thought he'd be able to top that.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #24

Aug 2012
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
I've been reading and collecting comics since the mid '80s. What really got me into them were Mage: The Hero Discovered and Grendel, both by Matt Wagner and published by Comico. I've never been a huge fan of superhero books, but I enjoy them if the writing and art are exceptional.

Current favorites:
Locke & Key
Rachel Rising

Other graphic novels I would recommend:

Batwoman: Elegy (amazing art)
Black Hole
The work of the Norwegian cartoonist Jason (I Killed Adolf Hitler, etc.)
Phonogram (especially the second volume)
Umbrella Academy
Ultra/Girls/The Sword (all by the Luna Bros.)
Echo
Astonishing X-Men (Whedon/Cassaday)
I've got all the Rachel Rising books but have yet to get a chance to read them! It was a matter of me finally grabbing first prints of 2 & 3 off ebay. Can't wait to finally sit down and go thru them all.

Been collecting Terry Moore's work for years. I've always found it damned funny that the main guy character in Echo more or less is my comic book counterpart.

Umbrella Academy is insanely good too. You know that Gerard Way has a new book coming out? Becky Cloonan will be drawing it, based off MCR's "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys" CD.

Ultra blew my mind and I supported the Luna Brothers for years on various websites I wrote for...but after Girls...meh. The Sword just never went anywhere and was too formulaic, I felt.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
I've been reading and collecting comics since the mid '80s. What really got me into them were Mage: The Hero Discovered and Grendel, both by Matt Wagner and published by Comico. I've never been a huge fan of superhero books, but I enjoy them if the writing and art are exceptional.

Current favorites:
Locke & Key
Rachel Rising

Other graphic novels I would recommend:

Batwoman: Elegy (amazing art)
Black Hole
The work of the Norwegian cartoonist Jason (I Killed Adolf Hitler, etc.)
Phonogram (especially the second volume)
Umbrella Academy
Ultra/Girls/The Sword (all by the Luna Bros.)
Echo
Astonishing X-Men (Whedon/Cassaday)

locke and key is a great comic. its the only comic i could ever get my wife to read. i had her read the issue that paid tribute to calvin and hobbes and after that she went back and read all the back issues i have and asks me every week if locke and key has come out lol.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #26

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Well, I could recommend the trade if money is an issue and then pick up with the 7th issue next month (they took 2 months off to catch up)

Aja's work on this is the best stuff he has done since Iron Fist and I never thought he'd be able to top that.
Yeah I think I will end up doing it cause I dont want to wait 6 months + for the trade. I'll make a decision when I total up how much my current subs are costing me monthly.

EDIT: Yeah... officially collecting single issues now.

Last edited by Remnant; 11-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Nashua, NH

So...not one actual pic of comics yet?

I'll post a picture of my graphic novel bookshelf when I'm at home. I don't collect singles (outside of ones I've obtained for free). I'm all digital for monthly books.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #28

Jun 2012

I'm getting ready to order my first comics, some New 52 titles:

Hawk & Dove Vol. 1
Justice League Dark Vol. 1
O.M.A.C. Vol. 1
Static Shock Vol. 1

I'm primarily focusing on the cancelled series first, so I picked up three of those and JL: D was just the cheapest paperback outside of those, so I figured what the hell. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get them!

Last edited by mattymoron; 11-11-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #29

Dec 2007
France

My The Walking Dead Omnibus Hardcover and Compendium collection :

Here's pictures of my lastest 2 comic books :

From NYCC 2012 : The Walking Dead Compendium Vol. 1 NYCC Exclusive Limited edition signed by Robert Kirman and Tony Moore :

My Watchmen collection :

The Dark Knight Returns :

More to come...

Last edited by Darth Fredius; 11-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Nashua, NH

Very nice!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #31
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Darth Fredius, that Watchmen collection is beautiful. I had forgotten how crisp the covers were on that series. Were those your personal issues from way back or did you buy them after they got graded?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
Special Member

Dec 2010
Building Theme Parks and Attractions around the world

I didn't realize there was a Comic Section here! Yay!

Here's a picture of my Comic Room. We have a small room upstairs that use to be a storage area but I slowly started converting into my Comic space. I've been collecting comics since I was 3 have about 32 long boxes and 6 short boxes filled with books.

I've been swamping out traditional long boxes for the uber cool Drawer Boxes so the room is a bit of a clutter. Graphic Novels and TPBs are on the opposite side of the room.

Oh, and here's a picture of me at 3 reading my first comic....(well, we're not 100% sure that was my first comic but we like saying it is after the fact).

I'll start posting some individual comics soon.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-04-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Missing Picture
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #33

Dec 2007
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Darth Fredius, that Watchmen collection is beautiful. I had forgotten how crisp the covers were on that series. Were those your personal issues from way back or did you buy them after they got graded?
Thank you !

I will post pics of the CGC Signed ones I have too asap.
I love Watchmen.

I bought them after they got graded.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #34

Dec 2007
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
I didn't realize there was a Comic Section here! Yay!

Here's a picture of my Comic Room. We have a small room upstairs that use to be a storage area but I slowly started converting into my Comic space. I've been collecting comics since I was 3 have about 32 long boxes and 6 short boxes filled with books.

I've been swamping out traditional long boxes for the uber cool Drawer Boxes so the room is a bit of a clutter. Graphic Novels and TPBs are on the opposite side of the room.

Oh, and here's a picture of me at 3 reading my first comic....(well, we're not 100% sure that was my first comic but we like saying it is after the fact).

I'll start posting some individual comics soon.
Awesome collection !
How mutch comics do you have ?
Pretty cool picture at 3... You were already able to read at 3 !!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #35
Special Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Fredius View Post
Awesome collection !
How mutch comics do you have ?
Pretty cool picture at 3... You were already able to read at 3 !!
Thanks! I have well over 6,000 individual comics. And that's not counting graphic novels, TPBs, comic magazines, digests, etc. Just traditional comics. I'm a traditional Every Wednesday Comics guy tho due to work, that trip is usually bi-weekly now.

Yeah. I have a lot of comics!

In that picture of me at 3, I still thank the comic lords that I was holding the book right side up! I'd never hear the end of it if it were upside down!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #36

Dec 2007
France

Quote:
Thanks! I have well over 6,000 individual comics. And that's not counting graphic novels, TPBs, comic magazines, digests, etc. Just traditional comics. I'm a traditional Every Wednesday Comics guy tho due to work, that trip is usually bi-weekly now.

Yeah. I have a lot of comics!

In that picture of me at 3, I still thank the comic lords that I was holding the book right side up! I'd never hear the end of it if it were upside down!

Over 6,000 individual comics ! Awesome !
What different kind of books do you have ? Marvel ? DC, others ?
Incredible collection.

"I still thank the comic lords that I was holding the book right side up! I'd never hear the end of it if it were upside down!"
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #37
Special Member

Dec 2010

I have all kinds of books. DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, etc. I have books from all the various ages (Golden, Silver, Bronze, Modern). Lately, my favorite books are from the Bronze Age (because they came out when I was growing up) but I have a soft spot for the 90s stuff (because that's when I truly became a collector).
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #38
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
I have all kinds of books. DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, etc. I have books from all the various ages (Golden, Silver, Bronze, Modern). Lately, my favorite books are from the Bronze Age (because they came out when I was growing up) but I have a soft spot for the 90s stuff (because that's when I truly became a collector).
I hear ya on that. The 90's get bashed a lot (and rightfully so) but there were some real gems in that time too. Starman will always be one of my favorites
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #39
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I think the 90s get bashed a lot, not because of artistic or literary merit, but that is when the cover price of comics started rising faster than inflation. That cost the industry many long-term fans which got priced out of their weekly habit.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
Special Member

Dec 2010

Here's some pix from my collection....

Here's an original signed drawing from Martin Nodell (co-creator of the Golden Age Green Lantern). I got this print back in 2000 at SDCC for my birthday.

The Golden Age GL is my favorite character and this is my most prized possession. I always made it a point to shake Mr. Nodell's hand at every Comic Con. He passed away in 2006.

My second favorite character is The Rocketeer. I have all his single issue appearances as well as a 1st printing of the Eclipse Graphic Album Series.

I meet Dave Stevens (creator of The Rocketeer) in 2003 and had him sign the book. He was surprised that I had a 1st printing. He passed away in 2008 - Far too young!

Here's a picture of my first Golden Age comic - National Comics #23 (June 1942). I picked it up for $22. The condition isn't great but it sure holds a lot of history!

This is Green Hornet #47 (September 1949). I love this cover! Something about it just leaps out at me.

Here's Funny Animals #32 (July 1945) staring Hoppy The Marvel Bunny!

And finally, Siegel and Shuster's Funnyman #2 & 3 (1948)! I'm slowly but surely tracking down the complete set. There's so much enthusiasm inside this title. It's so sad that everything came crashing down around them soon after.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-27-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics