Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
5 hrs ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
3 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
11 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
AronofskyFan AronofskyFan is offline
Member
 
AronofskyFan's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
St. Augustine, Florida
154
1
Default Green Lantern

I am 26 and new to comics, parents thought they were a bit lewd when I was younger but I recently decided to dive in so I could see where all these great movies and tv shows originated from. I am sad I haven't been reading comics longer and I am officially hooked. I have been a fan of super heroes since I was little, my favorites were always Batman and Green Lantern. I feel like I have a pretty good grip on the Batman classics, I have read Year One, Hush, The Killing Joke, the first two of the new Rebirth, and almost finished The Dark Knight Returns. But I am not sure where to begin with Green Lantern. I have read the first five issues of the Green Lanterns Rebirth and the first four of the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth and am loving both so far. But to dive into the history of the Corps more, where should I begin? I know Geoff Johns entire run is very highly thought of. What books are mandatory reading from a greatness, and a historical, perspective? Thanks ahead of time for the answers
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
blurayfriend blurayfriend is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2011
699
54
Default

GL: Emerald Dawn and Emerald Twilight will give you a pretty good idea of who Hal Jordan is. I'd recommend the Johns' 6-issue Rebirth series and his first 25 issues of the 2005 series, after that he goes nuts talking about the different colored Lanterns and his beloved "Larfleeze" a bit too much and loses the plot. After that I'd skip New 52 and dive in to the new Rebirth titles since June, or dig into the Kyle Rayner GL issues (#51-181 of the '90's series).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AronofskyFan (10-20-2016), Clark Kent (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Clark Kent Clark Kent is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Metropolis
2
180
Default

Green Lantern and the Green Lantern Corps have long histories. I grew up on the Bronze Age Hal Jordan from the 70s-80s but the newer stuff is really good.

There is an older retro series from 2001 called The Brave and The Bold that detailed the friendship between Hal Jordan and Barry Allen (The Flash). I always liked seeing how Green Lantern worked around fellow superheroes.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Green-L.../dp/1563897083

Many, many people love Geoff Johns' run with Green Lantern.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AronofskyFan (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
AronofskyFan AronofskyFan is offline
Member
 
AronofskyFan's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
St. Augustine, Florida
154
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
GL: Emerald Dawn and Emerald Twilight will give you a pretty good idea of who Hal Jordan is. I'd recommend the Johns' 6-issue Rebirth series and his first 25 issues of the 2005 series, after that he goes nuts talking about the different colored Lanterns and his beloved "Larfleeze" a bit too much and loses the plot. After that I'd skip New 52 and dive in to the new Rebirth titles since June, or dig into the Kyle Rayner GL issues (#51-181 of the '90's series).
Well I am completely caught up on the Jessica Cruz/Simon Baz Green Lanterns Rebirth, and the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth, and I gotta say I am enjoying both a ton right now. Thank you for the recommendations, I am actually kind of fascinated in the other colored lanterns as well, I have only gotten a taste of it with the Red Lanterns in Rebirth so far. I will definitely look into those you mentioned above.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
blurayfriend (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
AronofskyFan AronofskyFan is offline
Member
 
AronofskyFan's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
St. Augustine, Florida
154
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Green Lantern and the Green Lantern Corps have long histories. I grew up on the Bronze Age Hal Jordan from the 70s-80s but the newer stuff is really good.

There is an older retro series from 2001 called The Brave and The Bold that detailed the friendship between Hal Jordan and Barry Allen (The Flash). I always liked seeing how Green Lantern worked around fellow superheroes.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Green-L.../dp/1563897083

Many, many people love Geoff Johns' run with Green Lantern.
Cool, I will definitely read this at some point. I have never been a huge Flash fan, but I was only going off of cartoons, I think reading the actual comics could change that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
Clark Kent Clark Kent is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Metropolis
2
180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronofskyFan View Post
Cool, I will definitely read this at some point. I have never been a huge Flash fan, but I was only going off of cartoons, I think reading the actual comics could change that.
DC loved pairing Green Lantern up with other heroes. One of his most famous runs has Green Lantern going across America with Green Arrow. Green Lantern also appeared off and on with the Justice League over the years.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
blurayfriend blurayfriend is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2011
699
54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronofskyFan View Post
Well I am completely caught up on the Jessica Cruz/Simon Baz Green Lanterns Rebirth, and the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth, and I gotta say I am enjoying both a ton right now. Thank you for the recommendations, I am actually kind of fascinated in the other colored lanterns as well, I have only gotten a taste of it with the Red Lanterns in Rebirth so far. I will definitely look into those you mentioned above.
Contradicting myself a bit here but if you're checking out the different-colored Lantern stories anyway, I would definitely give Blackest Night and Secret Origin a shot, those are pretty cool. I just felt Johns lost it with the New 52 "reboot," and quite a bit before with Brightest Day, which invaded the series too much.

And you can't go wrong with the old silver age stuff, found in the Showcase volumes! GL/GA teaming up as Clark recommended is pretty good stuff too, a road trip story affectionately called Hard Traveling Heroes. I think you're all set!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
AronofskyFan AronofskyFan is offline
Member
 
AronofskyFan's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
St. Augustine, Florida
154
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Contradicting myself a bit here but if you're checking out the different-colored Lantern stories anyway, I would definitely give Blackest Night and Secret Origin a shot, those are pretty cool. I just felt Johns lost it with the New 52 "reboot," and quite a bit before with Brightest Day, which invaded the series too much.

And you can't go wrong with the old silver age stuff, found in the Showcase volumes! GL/GA teaming up as Clark recommended is pretty good stuff too, a road trip story affectionately called Hard Traveling Heroes. I think you're all set!
Yeah I was wondering about Blackest Night/Brightest Day. Thank you brother, I think I have a pretty good starting point to go off of now. Gonna really dig in over these next few months reading some of these
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Batmon77 Batmon77 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Batmon77's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
New York City
2
404
1
Default

Coastal City being destroyed by Cyborg Superman is an important part of the Hal story.
This leads to Parallax and The Spectre.

Also a great one-shot by John Byrne is Ganthet's Tale.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-27-2016), Petey Parker (07-24-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
5
244
18
31
Default

Personally, I grew up on the comics of the 1970's moving forward but if you want a jumping on point to delve into the history of the Green lanterns Corps, I would suggest picking up the Green Lantern comics that came after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Please note that this is the modern jumping on point without having to read the previous Green Lantern titles in the series. Here's the reading order I would recommend:

Green Lantern: Rebirth (2004 Mini Series)#1-6
Green Lantern (2005 Series) #1-67
War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath #1-2
Blackest Night (Core Mini Series) #1-8
Brightest Day (Core Mini Series) #1-24
Green Lantern (2011 Series) #1-52 (The New 52)
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (2016 Series)

The one thing I would recommend is also picking up some of the core Tie-Ins with the Red Lantern, Sinestro and Green Lantern Corps that directly tie into the War of the Green Lanterns, The Sinestro Corps War, Lights Out, Godhead and the other crossovers within these respective series.

Green Lantern, although it was included into the "New 52" series, the Green Lantern titles were never rebooted into D.C. Comics New 52 series. Matter of fact, when the Green Lantern "New 52" debuted, the Green Lantern comics remained relatively untouched by the New 52 reboot, since the Green Lantern 2011 series continued the storyline from the previous Green Lantern 2005 comic series. There were some aspects of the New 52 that did affect the series, the direction and the decision not to alter the Green Lantern comic came from Geoff Johns (Green Lantern) and Peter Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps). But, I would recommend the reading order above.

The reason the reading order is laid out like above is because each series ties directly into the other. There is a new Green Lantern comic coming out later this year that will replace Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
16
518
125
3
Default

Been an off/on collector for ages now. Haven't gotten into the newer because I'm not into the writer (Venditti), but here is what I'd recommend:

Green Lantern 3rd series (1990-2004) Emerald Twilight and the few before it --issues 47-50 Then, there is the short Parallax View in issues 63 & 64 of this volume.

Loved Johns' Green Lantern: Rebirth mini, especially for the modern-era treatment of the characters...they're still pretty much holding to what went on in this.

I find it hard to recommend any specific issues of either Johns' long GL series run or the Green Lantern Corps book that came out at the same time. I've got both runs...and really, they're companion books so one without the other doesn't seem like a whole. They're like 60-something issues in each volume.

What I HAVE to recommend is the vastly underrated SINESTRO series from 2014-16. I found that to be excellent and was really down when it was cancelled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #12
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
131
Default

A new series entitled "The Green Lantern" written by Grant Morrison with art by Liam Sharp releases on November 7, 2018. I believe Grant has big plans for the book, it's supposed to be ongoing monthly. I look forward to it...

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-...reen-lantern-1
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
J.D. Lombardi (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
16
518
125
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
A new series entitled "The Green Lantern" written by Grant Morrison with art by Liam Sharp releases on November 7, 2018. I believe Grant has big plans for the book, it's supposed to be ongoing monthly. I look forward to it...

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-...reen-lantern-1
Yup, I'm coming back to the book for Morrison's run. Haven't read it since that terrible Venditti began.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kinsella5 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #14
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
Yup, I'm coming back to the book for Morrison's run. Haven't read it since that terrible Venditti began.
I had picked up the New 52 run but never read it and eventually sold it as a set on eBay. A friend of mine owned a comic book store so I would get my comics at cost. I am way behind in my reading, but also got the Rebirth Green Lantern series which ended recently which I actually want to read.

DC is planning midnight release parties for the new Morrison series with an exclusive midnight launch variant, but may be cheaper to just buy on eBay if you are a collector of those things.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...To-Comic-Shops
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
J.D. Lombardi (10-17-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #15
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
5
244
18
31
Default

I'm kind of on the fence about the new "The Green Lantern" series. I'm not a big fan of Lenil Yu's artwork nor am I fan of Liam Sharp. Sharp's artwork looks awesome in black and white but it loses something when they add full color to it. I guess it's one of those things where you either like their artwork or you don't. Their work just lacks aesthetic value when I look at it from a creativity standpoint.

I just get tired of Marvel Comics and D.C. Comics and their continuous need to revamp or reboot their titles every 50 issues. While I have complete digital runs of their comics, it wasn't necessary to cancel Hal Jordan or Green Lanterns. I half expected Green Lanterns to continue getting published until I saw that D.C. decided to up and cancel that series outright.

I think the new series will do well for the first several issues but after that, I think interest will drop off, unless Grant Morrison can continue to keep readers engaged. I must admit that Grant Morrison is one of my favorite writers, right besides Alan Moore, Frank Miller and James Robinson. Alan Moore's run on Swap Thing, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, Frank Miller's run on Daredevil ... these are all classic comic runs that happen to be fan faves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #16
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about the new "The Green Lantern" series. I'm not a big fan of Lenil Yu's artwork nor am I fan of Liam Sharp. Sharp's artwork looks awesome in black and white but it loses something when they add full color to it. I guess it's one of those things where you either like their artwork or you don't. Their work just lacks aesthetic value when I look at it from a creativity standpoint.

I just get tired of Marvel Comics and D.C. Comics and their continuous need to revamp or reboot their titles every 50 issues. While I have complete digital runs of their comics, it wasn't necessary to cancel Hal Jordan or Green Lanterns. I half expected Green Lanterns to continue getting published until I saw that D.C. decided to up and cancel that series outright.

I think the new series will do well for the first several issues but after that, I think interest will drop off, unless Grant Morrison can continue to keep readers engaged. I must admit that Grant Morrison is one of my favorite writers, right besides Alan Moore, Frank Miller and James Robinson. Alan Moore's run on Swap Thing, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, Frank Miller's run on Daredevil ... these are all classic comic runs that happen to be fan faves.
I can't argue you with regards to the constant reboots after a few years. I am looking forward to the new GL series, I will certainly give it a try. If you have a store in your area that is participating in the midnight release and if you can attend, they will have a special variant for sale which is the same cover as the standard release but in black/white. You can check it out here and even order it from Midtown here:

https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/...231+Co_1796341
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
5
244
18
31
Default

D.C. Comics is currently in the middle of their annual (will impact our universe going forward) event. I just love the fact that Marvel and D.C. seems to drag out that tired cliche of "this event will impact the rest of the (Marvel/D.C. Universe) moving forward. It's also funny that they also end up retconning certain aspects of of previous events with a newer event. Infinite Crisis was designed to fix a lot of the continuity errors that were created from earlier 'Crisis' related events.

I just wasn't all that interested because it seemed to use a plot device that was used in "Identity Crisis". D.C. (Crisis) and Marvel (Infinity) don't seem to be able to move able from Crisis and Infinity events.

I would like to see more history and more focus on the Guardians of the Universe. These guys have never been in the spotlight before and D.C. should get involved with how the Guardians lied to Kal-El and didn't tell him the truth about the destruction of Krypton, why they knew it was destroyed and why they didn't do anything to prevent it. It would be interesting to see what motivates the Guardians and exactly what that end scene in "The Man of Steel" mini series really meant. Supergirl discovered part of the problem during her investigation into Rogol Zaar and why the Guardians hid that information and locked it away.

I would definitely love to see Grant Morrison tackle the morals and ethics of the Guardians and what happens when the Corps start to question the motives of the Guardians.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
5
244
18
31
Default

It's a funny thing. While I didn't go out on midnight to get that variant, I lucked out and ended up getting a copy of that midnight variant at cover price from the same comic store. So, I didn't have to go out in the middle of the night to pick it up. The owner said that he didn't open up at midnight either, so I had no trouble getting a copy of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
I can't argue you with regards to the constant reboots after a few years. I am looking forward to the new GL series, I will certainly give it a try. If you have a store in your area that is participating in the midnight release and if you can attend, they will have a special variant for sale which is the same cover as the standard release but in black/white. You can check it out here and even order it from Midtown here:

https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/...231+Co_1796341
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #19
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
It's a funny thing. While I didn't go out on midnight to get that variant, I lucked out and ended up getting a copy of that midnight variant at cover price from the same comic store. So, I didn't have to go out in the middle of the night to pick it up. The owner said that he didn't open up at midnight either, so I had no trouble getting a copy of it.
I am not sure how the midnight launch parties work for most stores, since those fall on a Tuesday night with most people having either school or work in the morning but I do know of stores that say they are participating yet don't, just so they can get the special variants which they then offer for sale to their customers who come in on Wednesday. Also with larger sites like Midtown, TFAW, etc. I don't think the midnight variants are getting to be a difficult thing at all anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #20
Sunny Bhuiya Sunny Bhuiya is offline
Junior Member
 
Oct 2019
Default

Green lantern is a Marvel comics movie That I have ever Like.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.