Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
8 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
18 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
13 hrs ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008
Default DC cutting ties with Diamond

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...2bzn4HtuKcSeBY

The publisher will no longer distribute through the industry leader in comics distribution.
In a seismic shift for the comic book industry, DC has cut ties with Diamond Comics Distributors. The announcement was made via an email to retailers sent Friday morning, with the company telling customers that all orders for DC product will be fulfilled by Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors for periodical releases and Penguin Random House for graphic novels and collected editions.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

E-mail sent to stores.

DC COMICS DIRECT CHANNEL SPECIAL
JUNE 5, 2020Dear DC Direct Market Retailer,First and foremost, we hope this finds you safe and well especially during what has been an incredibly challenging year. We are writing today to share with you that DCís long-standing relationship with Diamond Comic Distributors is coming to a close effective following Diamondís distribution of product offered on DCís FOC list of June 1st. We want to thank Steve Geppi and the great people at Diamond for all the years of service.We recognize that, to many of you, this may seem like a momentous decision. However, we can assure you that this change in DCís distribution plans has not been made lightly and follows a long period of thought and consideration. The change of direction is in line with DCís overall strategic vision intended to improve the health of, and strengthen, the Direct Market as well as grow the number of fans who read comics worldwide.In the near term, Diamond will only be fulfilling orders placed through June 1 Final Order Cut-Off and will not solicit the sale of new DC titles further. To ensure a smooth transition for retailers, DC will suspend Final Order Cut-Off for June 8, making those books available to order on Final Order Cut-Off on June 15.Moving forward, we will continue our distribution relationship with Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors for distribution of periodicals and graphic novels, and Penguin Random House for distribution of graphic novels, worldwide.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics

As someone who buys his comics from Midtown Comics this doesn't effect me in the slightest. I only pull one DC run currently so that will not effect me either
Old 06-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

This is the first step in AT&T killing DC comics.

Why is DC doing this now?DC has been analyzing its Direct Market distribution for some time, long before COVID, specifically in light of sustained stagnant market growth. The timing of the decision to move on from Diamond was ultimately dictated by the fact that DCís contract with Diamond has expired, but incidentally, the disruption by COVID to the market has required DC to forge ahead with its larger growth strategies that will benefit both the Direct Market and DC.
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (06-10-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
Expert Member

Aug 2016

I worry my shop may just stop selling DC Comics( I hate reading comics via digital).Most of what I read is DC titles over Marvel.
Thanks given by:
dc1994 (08-01-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017

Word on the Interwebs is most people are glad DC did it saying how much they hate how Diamond is such a Monopoly on Comics in general
Old 06-06-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben6543 View Post
Word on the Interwebs is most people are glad DC did it saying how much they hate how Diamond is such a Monopoly on Comics in general
What will Marvel do if Diamond goes under?
Old 06-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I don't think Diamond is going anywhere cause they have such a stranglehold on the comic world. But if they did they would find new distributors.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
This could help me and other publishers. Diamond is going to drop at least 30%. They will need to fill that void. Some stores are saying they are done with DC, because the new Distros they are using are owned by Midtown and DCBS.

Come Monday I will be in talks with multiple parties.

This came from Milehigh.

https://www.facebook.com/chuckrozans...18787378768755
Old 06-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

https://www.gamesradar.com/comic-boo...30C3geYfWlVy3U

"The timing of this is terrible and shows a blatant disregard for concerns of comics sellers," said Benn Ray of Atomic Books in Baltimore. "So I say this as a lifelong DC Comics fan as well as a retailer ó screw you, DC Comics. I wish them every bit as well as Marvel did when they did this back in the '90s. Whoever is calling the shots at DC, if there is anyone, should be sacked immediately."
Old 06-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

I got some press in a roundabout way.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...es-to-revolve/
Old 06-08-2020, 12:17 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben6543 View Post
I'm not a fan of Diamond either and would love to see its monopoly end but to do this in the middle of a pandemic with mere weeks to allow already struggling retailers the chance to adapt is ridiculous (and the monopoly will still continue except someone else has the DC monopoly). Retailers were given several months to adjust during the Marvel Heroes World nonsense and there wasn't a pandemic going on. This reeks of AT&T setting it up for failure and killing off the weekly physical releases from DC. This is going to permanently kill a lot of the direct market. Most of the people celebrating this decision in the places I visit seem to not care because they primarily only read digitally. I wouldn't be surprised if DC goes to digital only weekly releases and the only way to get physical is via hardcover or trade.

Last edited by Petey Parker; 06-08-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

I will support my LCS until I die. I have 35 years of purchases in that great, wonderful store! And Ben and Gary (owner and manager) are the very best of the retailers I've met since the 1970's, bar none.

DC should reconsider their position in this matter, IMHO.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Lugosi View Post
I will support my LCS until I die. I have 35 years of purchases in that great, wonderful store! And Ben and Gary (owner and manager) are the very best of the retailers I've met since the 1970's, bar none.

DC should reconsider their position in this matter, IMHO.
So from what I am hearing this was a move DC had no choice to make. Diamond is stagnant, they are still running their operation like it is the 90's. They are not modern at all. At this point their catalog should be online. Their submission process is out dated. A store cannot see anything they pre-ordered if it is delayed. DC went to them with these issues, asking them to change and update. Diamond refused. I bet they start making some of these changes now.

Diamond does not have an IT staff
Old 06-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Aren't Diamond responsible for the system where the store-owners are unable to return unsold comics? that hurts the industry more than anything else, it's been a mess for years, but as sales fall and shops close, those in business don't need stock they can't sell and can't return.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Aren't Diamond responsible for the system where the store-owners are unable to return unsold comics? that hurts the industry more than anything else, it's been a mess for years, but as sales fall and shops close, those in business don't need stock they can't sell and can't return.
Returns are up to the publisher. Diamond would need to create a method for that, or the publishers will need to handle it. DC has returns on some of their books up to 30 days.

The comic industry needs to grow up, the problem is the people at the top seem to be fighting it. Diamond should have an online interface like Comic Hub.

The best compassion I could make is Diamond is Sears. Their big catalog was great in the 80's, yet they needed to innovate and did not do so.

Now that they are losing 30% of their business. And a few mid tier publishers have also pulled away from Diamond.

They have no choice but to fix their issues because there are other options for retailers.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
Banned

Nov 2015

Floppies are like individual chapters of serialized novels. It's frustrating reading 20-30 pages of incomplete stories -- not to mention expensive.

$4 x 6 or 7 issues = $24 or $28

1 collected edition = $15 to $20

Many collected editions also have all extra materials, such as sketches, unused art, variant covers, etc. This is much better than buying multiple copies of a floppy to get the different covers.

I'm surprised that floppies lasted as long as they have. And no, I don't collect floppies as an "investment".
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (06-10-2020), Lemmy Lugosi (06-12-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

I am perfectly fine with slow build in stories, it is one of the reasons that my book movies. Grabbing a reader and keeping the interested is hard to do with so many other distractions.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
So from what I am hearing this was a move DC had no choice to make. Diamond is stagnant, they are still running their operation like it is the 90's. They are not modern at all. At this point their catalog should be online. Their submission process is out dated. A store cannot see anything they pre-ordered if it is delayed. DC went to them with these issues, asking them to change and update. Diamond refused. I bet they start making some of these changes now.

Diamond does not have an IT staff
They were actually supposed to have an online thing in place last year. I don't know whatever happened to it. I usually go online and download the form and then email what I want to my LCS. It would be so much easier to be able to choose the store I want online and then create an order. Diamond is way behind on that.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #20
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
They were actually supposed to have an online thing in place last year. I don't know whatever happened to it. I usually go online and download the form and then email what I want to my LCS. It would be so much easier to be able to choose the store I want online and then create an order. Diamond is way behind on that.
Check out http://comichub.com/Error/Error?aspxerrorpath=/ it does exactly what you said. Your store would just need to sign up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics