Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
12 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
20 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
15 hrs ago
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
16 hrs ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 10-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

Jun 2012
Illinois
Default Need Advice - Selling majority of Collection

So hoping I can get some ideas as to the best way to sell a big chunk of my collection. I've been debating it for a few years and I really just want to pull the trigger as soon as possible because it just takes up space. I want to basically get rid of about 10 long boxes of comics but can't figure out a good way to do it without basically working a full time job to get them sold. So far I've though of the following:

Ebay - about 30% in fees total and shipping is a chore. I really want to just sell bigger sets of books as opposed to single issues or only a few at a time

Local comic shop - I've thought about seeing if they'd even be willing to take books still, but from what I've heard in the past you get a pretty low value going this route.

Comic collector live - I used to buy tons of books off this site but havent used it in a few years. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience selling on here

Facebook - I just really don't want to sell through Facebook. I can't say I've tried it but it seems like it's more of a deal seeker/bargain hunters place than the others. I am part of specific group that sell and trade but it seems like a job to track and manage sales on facebook.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be awesome!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Probably the first thing you need to do is individually price the items in your collection (write down the least you'd take for each item alongside it). Then work out how much postage would be for individual titles and groups of books. If you've got things worth a decent amount they might be worth listing on eBay, unless you're selling to a collector, you're always going to knock off something for shops if they're the buyer. Might be worth looking at some of the stores that only sell back issues, if your collection is older.

eBay will give you the biggest exposure, but it can lead to the biggest headaches.
Thanks given by:
Jpapp25 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Livonia, MI

you should go through your collection and pull the grails...

see what a local comic shop would give you for your collection with and without the grails...

you might have the best of luck selling the grails separately and biting the bullet on the rest of the collection...
Thanks given by:
Jpapp25 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #4

Jun 2012
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Probably the first thing you need to do is individually price the items in your collection (write down the least you'd take for each item alongside it). Then work out how much postage would be for individual titles and groups of books. If you've got things worth a decent amount they might be worth listing on eBay, unless you're selling to a collector, you're always going to knock off something for shops if they're the buyer. Might be worth looking at some of the stores that only sell back issues, if your collection is older. eBay will give you the biggest exposure, but it can lead to the biggest headaches.
That is definitely a good idea, over the years I've tried to keep track of the my collection on StashMyComics but have fallen off over the past few years. I'm usually pretty good about knowing key issues from series and have kept up with different pricing every once in awhile. I do need to go through and re-check some of the stuff I bought over the years. There have been a few instances where I found I had an expensive variant I had just grabbed for low cost at a local shop randomly.

I sell a decent amount on ebay (usually blus/dvds, random collectibles, etc.) it just is such a time suck to get stuff listed then pack and send. Even when I've gotten a really good system in place with listing templates for specific categories or even doing bulk listings with files, taking pics and then packing and printing shipping labels has been almost like a second job when I've listed a bunch of stuff at the same time. I've been debating buying a thermal printer for the shipping labels which would help out to a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoLskA View Post
you should go through your collection and pull the grails...

see what a local comic shop would give you for your collection with and without the grails...

you might have the best of luck selling the grails separately and biting the bullet on the rest of the collection...
Oh definitely will not be selling my favorites (Spider-man, Batman, TMNT, Y:TLM, Saga, and a few others), so will have to go through and check out what might be worth getting graded or just selling w/o a grade.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (10-22-2020), PoLskA (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 AM   #5

Aug 2012
NJ

Unless you just want to be done with it all, I'd avoid comic shops. Most don't want current/modern era books so even your "grails" in that area will be low-balled. Comic shops will give you your worst overall price, BUT...will most likely take all that you have off your hands at once.

I've sold 2 different friend's complete collections on ebay It was a 60-40 split and all they had to so was sit back and collect the $. BUT...ebay and paypal take fees, which is seriously annoying, in addition to "tax." But again, ebay has THE highest visibility and will give you the best chance to get the most money for your books (barring the fees). 3rd "but"....you'll have to work for it by packing/shipping it all...taking the photos and making the listings.

If you have some genuinely good stuff, the first few weeks on ebay will have you doing REALLY well. It is after all the fantastic books are gone, that you'll feel like it has become work. Hell, I've had the same listings on ebay currently for over a month. Other people are selling what I have...but uh, mine are going nowhere and you can get quite frustrated with things like that on there.

I'd love to know what you have, actually. I've bought from all over the internet.

Finally...

Are we allowed to sell comics on here? I mean other areas trade and sell blu-ray cases and such. I'd love to have a little thread where we could sell books.

Let me know if you have a list that you'd feel like showing me. Good luck!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics