Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Old 04-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Aug 2014
Hong Kong The Secret (HK Film Archive)

Mediapsychos has reopened a group buy for Ann Hui's The Secret, which was available briefly in March - but which no one noticed, myself included.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079146/

https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalS...nw/film07.html

https://mediapsychos.com/topic/9414-...-film-archive/
Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Just to be clear, it seems that this is the Hong Kong Film Archive's first Blu-ray (released in January 2019), and that it is only available to buy directly from their shop in person, hence, I suppose, the need for a group buy.

Here is what the HKFA says about the disc on their website here:

Quote:
The Secret (Blu-ray Disc)

Prod Co: Unique Films Co., Ltd.
Producer: Wu Sau-yee
Executive Producer: Lo Kai-muk
Director: Ann Hui
Screenwriter: Joyce Chan
Cinematographer: David Chung
Main Cast: Sylvia Chang, Angie Chiu Nga-chi, Tsui Siu-keung, Lee Hye-suk, Alex Man

Penned by renowned screenwriter Joyce Chan, The Secret (1979) is the first feature film of director Ann Hui. Based on a homicide case in the 1970s, it utilises a non-linear narrative structure to unpeel layer after layer of secrets and illusions. Its clever use of visual contrast not only underscores the clashes between traditional and modern cultures, but also mirrors the psychological tension of characters. The film explores the dark side of the human psyche and experiments with innovative styles, heralding the Hong Kong New Wave. The nostalgic world of mystique created in The Secret is now digitally restored to its original splendour.

【Blu-ray Disc】
‘Special Features' includes a video of the restoration process of the film. Plus a 64-page booklet. The accompanying booklet contains photo section of 'Before and After Restoration', in addition to articles written by film scholars Sam Ho and Ka Ming, a film review excerpt by film critic Sek Kei and more.

Format: Colour
Language: Cantonese (Mono)
Subtitles: Traditional Chinese/English
Region: All
Aspect Ratio:1.85:1
Number of discs: 1 (Blu-ray Disc)
Running Time:90 mins

Release Date: January 2019

Price: $135
I'm definitely interested, so I've signed up for a copy.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
Expert Member

Feb 2011
In Technicolor

It's also available from buyoyo, as well as HK bookstores like Hong Kong Book City (where I got my copy). I think the GB at Media Psychos might be easiest way to get this for most people though.

This is a movie I've been absolutely fascinated with forever, so being able to finally watch it was to me the cinematic equivalent of catching a unicorn or something. I don't want to give too much away, but it's pretty much a Hong Kong giallo.

The disc itself is a mixed bag. The audio sounds really good (to me), but there's definitely issues with the PQ. It doesn't look that good to be honest, and it's very waxy looking without a lot of grain. To be fair, the film was restored from an internegative, and I only assume that wasn't in great shape to begin with. The opening and end credits were restored from video tape and are in a different aspect ratio to the rest of the film. They look as good as tape blown up to HD can be I guess. The restoration has the original burnt-in subtitles intact. The subtitles aren't bad considering how Hong Kong English subtitles can be very hit and miss, but there's definitely some errors.

My biggest issue with it though is the colour grading. It's very very green-looking and I feel like the person who graded it was a bit overzealous in trying to give the film a stylised visual look. For one thing, the opening and end credits don't have this same colour scheme. There's also obvious black crush.

The booklet it comes with is pretty substantial with proper essays on the film and details on the restoration. The only on-disc extra is a featurette on how the restoration of the film.

Overall it's still a nice set. And considering the importance of the film as well as the fact it's been almost impossible to see, it's definitely worth it.

On a side note, there's a version on YouTube in the correct aspect ratio which looks better than the other VHS rip that's been floating around. I wonder what the source of that is...
Old 04-08-2019, 04:09 AM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Well, I guess I need to be more thorough next time, as I would have preferred to order from Buyoyo, since I've used them before and would have had no trouble using them again for this, which they have for HK$ 162 (less than $21) plus shipping, which would make it about $30 shipped.

Oh well.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Well, I guess I need to be more thorough next time, as I would have preferred to order from Buyoyo, since I've used them before and would have had no trouble using them again for this, which they have for HK$ 162 (less than $21) plus shipping, which would make it about $30 shipped.

Oh well.
Why not ask for your MP order to be cancelled?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Why not ask for your MP order to be cancelled?
I don't think I can, if I'm reading the rules correctly.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I don't think I can, if I'm reading the rules correctly.
Doesn't hurt to ask someone like ksosk, especially before the GB is closed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions