Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Death Note: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
8 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.96
6 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
7 hrs ago
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
i saw the devil is amazing, i think i liked it even more than oldboy. need to rewatch it soon. still gotta watch king of pigs
Once I got past the animation style (not the art itself, which is great, but how it's animated), I was able to get into the movie a lot more. It was much darker than I expected as well. Probably my least favorite Plain release so far (alongside Melancholia and Only Lovers Left Alive, all three of which I'd give a 7/10), but I liked it.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

I still need to watch King of Pigs. I'm going to wait for my copy of The Fake to get in, so I can have a double feature. Also, I'm not very versed in anime. I'm not a fan of Japanese anime television series, and I've not seen a single Miyazaki film. So Korean anime will be my first!

And honestly, I think Zero Dark Thirty is my least favorite film that Plain has released so far. But that will change when Foxcatcher comes out. Loathed that film with a passion. So so bad. Same with The Act of Killing. Both of those films I'd maybe give a 1/10, just because I don't like giving any movie a 0.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
I still need to watch King of Pigs. I'm going to wait for my copy of The Fake to get in, so I can have a double feature. Also, I'm not very versed in anime. I'm not a fan of Japanese anime television series, and I've not seen a single Miyazaki film. So Korean anime will be my first!

And honestly, I think Zero Dark Thirty is my least favorite film that Plain has released so far. But that will change when Foxcatcher comes out. Loathed that film with a passion. So so bad. Same with The Act of Killing. Both of those films I'd maybe give a 1/10, just because I don't like giving any movie a 0.
Ah yeah, ZDT is on the lower end for me too. Good movie in general but not a lot of replayability for me. I really liked Foxcatcher though!

as for King of Pigs being your first real foray into anime, uh...I dunno haha. Like I said the animation is not very good. It's pretty choppy, and when a character does anything with depth (turn their head, stand up, turn around, etc.) it bizarrely switches to cel-shaded 3D animation. It took a while to get used to the style. I have no idea if all Korean animation is like that or just this movie.

Miyazaki is definitely one of the masters of anime though, you'd do well to check out his (and all the other Ghibli) stuff if you have any interesting in delving into the genre (which I admit I'm not too well-versed in either, I only lightly dabble lol). Akira is another classic, and Mamoru Hosoda is a pretty acclaimed director though I've only seen one of his films, "Summer Wars," which I did enjoy quite a bit. I also own his film "Wolf Children" which is supposed to be even better (and I plan to watch this week), and his upcoming movie looks pretty good too
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
Ah yeah, ZDT is on the lower end for me too. Good movie in general but not a lot of replayability for me. I really liked Foxcatcher though!

as for King of Pigs being your first real foray into anime, uh...I dunno haha. Like I said the animation is not very good. It's pretty choppy, and when a character does anything with depth (turn their head, stand up, turn around, etc.) it bizarrely switches to cel-shaded 3D animation. It took a while to get used to the style. I have no idea if all Korean animation is like that or just this movie.

Miyazaki is definitely one of the masters of anime though, you'd do well to check out his (and all the other Ghibli) stuff if you have any interesting in delving into the genre (which I admit I'm not too well-versed in either, I only lightly dabble lol). Akira is another classic, and Mamoru Hosoda is a pretty acclaimed director though I've only seen one of his films, "Summer Wars," which I did enjoy quite a bit. I also own his film "Wolf Children" which is supposed to be even better (and I plan to watch this week), and his upcoming movie looks pretty good too
I have the Miyazaki box set on pre-order. It's a bit hefty in price, but I've always been interested in seeing his films, just never gotten around to it. I've tried starting a few series, and some I even liked, I just give up and never finish them. I'm not pulled in, or feel like I need to continue.

I've started (and liked) Attack on Titan, Death Note, and Yowamushi Pedal, but have finished none. Some day maybe, some day.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #45

Jul 2015
Finland

Quote:

Weird that you had such a strong reaction to Foxcatcher. I thought that the direction and the cinematography were amazing! Not a lot of replay value for me, though...
Old 08-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishFilmFan View Post
Weird that you had such a strong reaction to Foxcatcher. I thought that the direction and the cinematography were amazing! Not a lot of replay value for me, though...
While I love Steve Carell, I hated his (and everyone else's) performances. Except Mark Ruffalo, I thought he was fine. I thought the pacing was terrible. I LOVE slow burns/slowly paced films...however this was slow just for slow's sake. It was boring, to the point I checked the time probably 10 times throughout the film. The story seemed like it could have been interesting, but I didn't like the tone they used. I would have loved to see a dark/sinister Fincher tone to it. Cinematography is probably my favorite thing about movies, and I can't even recall anything special about this one.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #47

Jul 2015
Finland

Quote:
While I love Steve Carell, I hated his (and everyone else's) performances. Except Mark Ruffalo, I thought he was fine. I thought the pacing was terrible. I LOVE slow burns/slowly paced films...however this was slow just for slow's sake. It was boring, to the point I checked the time probably 10 times throughout the film. The story seemed like it could have been interesting, but I didn't like the tone they used. I would have loved to see a dark/sinister Fincher tone to it. Cinematography is probably my favorite thing about movies, and I can't even recall anything special about this one.

I think the whole movie is gorgeously shot and it had some really amazing scenes (John du Pont and the horses is my favourite). The tone is consistent throughout the whole film. I agree that it was slow, very slow, but I think that the extreme slowness fits this film perfectly. The story is really disturbing, and I think this film does it justice.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #48
Power Member

Sep 2008
New York City

I think Zero Dark Thirty is fantastic. As is Foxcatcher. So...take that! Though I find Zero Dark Thirty infinitely more watchable than Foxcatcher.

I haven't seen The King of Pigs or I Saw the Devil. But of the others, Only Lovers Left Alive is easily my least favorite Plain title.

Last edited by JJJ225; 08-10-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
USA
-
-
-

Foxcatcher is a one-time viewing for me like The Birdman. I Saw the Devil is awesome.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
The £كا

Quote:

I heard that there was someone left on Earth that hadn't had the pleasure of viewing a Miyazaki masterwork.
Up until now, I just figured it was an urban legend.
Honestly, most of his films are better than anything that could ever be part of the Plain Collection.

Unfortunately, Korean animation is still in the Dark Ages compared to the brilliance of Japanese animation.
I recommend checking out some of Makoto Shinkai's work, if you're interested in seeing remarkable Japanese animation, also.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #51

Jul 2015
Finland

If I had to rank the films Plain has released:

1. The Master
2. Blue Is the Warmest Colour
3. Melancholia
4. Rust and Bone
5. Searching for Sugarman
6. Only Lovers Left Alive
7. I Saw the Devil
8. The Wrestler
9. Zero Dark Thirty

I have not seen King of Pigs yet. They really are all great films though.

Last edited by FinnishFilmFan; 08-11-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #52
Expert Member

Dec 2012
In Dreams It Seems

For me melancholia and blue is the warmest colour are my least favorite they just have 0 replay value for me
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
For me melancholia and blue is the warmest colour are my least favorite they just have 0 replay value for me
agreed. blue is the warmest colour is not something i would ever watch again
Old 08-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Wow, I'm ashamed to admit this, but I think the only releases I've actually watched are The Master and Zero Dark Thirty. Didn't like either. I feel like my opinion on The Master might be skewed though, because when I watched it, it was my 3rd movie in a row in theaters. So I was extremely tired and burnt out. I usually love PTA and Joaquin Phoenix. So I'll definitely have to revisit it.

I've attempted Melancholia multiple times, long before I even knew about Plain Archive, but I've never finished it. That's not to say I didn't like it, just I watched them with my girlfriend at the time, and our attention usually turned away from the movie...
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #55

Jul 2015
Finland

Quote:
Wow, I'm ashamed to admit this, but I think the only releases I've actually watched are The Master and Zero Dark Thirty. Didn't like either. I feel like my opinion on The Master might be skewed though, because when I watched it, it was my 3rd movie in a row in theaters. So I was extremely tired and burnt out. I usually love PTA and Joaquin Phoenix. So I'll definitely have to revisit it.

I've attempted Melancholia multiple times, long before I even knew about Plain Archive, but I've never finished it. That's not to say I didn't like it, just I watched them with my girlfriend at the time, and our attention usually turned away from the movie...
The Master is a movie you really need to watch multiple times to really get it. I didn't like it the first time but absolutely LOVED it the second and third time. The same has happened to me with other PTA films. You really need to watch those Plain films and not just collect them, lol
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
The Master is a movie you really need to watch multiple times to really get it. I didn't like it the first time but absolutely LOVED it the second and third time. The same has happened to me with other PTA films. You really need to watch those Plain films and not just collect them, lol
I know I know. I just have SUCH a back log of things to watch, and in the past few months I've been more focused on television series than films. I love arching stories that last for multiple years. And I'm weird with things that like this. Because when I watch these Plain movies, I can only watch them for the first time once. I know it doesn't make much sense, but same thing with Harry Potter. That story is one of my favorite things in the world. I read the books every year when they were released as a kid. I remember when Deathly Hallows came out, I purchased it, and didn't read it for like 6 months, because I knew once I read it, that's it. There's nothing more after it. No more story. It's over. I was savoring the moment when I finally would work myself up to it.

I kinda feel that way with these movies. Like, I know I can easily rewatch a movie, but that first viewing, the first experience is special. And I can only do that once.

I sound crazy.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #57
Power Member

Sep 2008
New York City

Man, you guys should start spending money on movies you actually like.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

I watch all the movies I buy. to me it's the only way to enjoy them but I've loved all the Plain Archive releases with Blue is the Warmest colour being my least favorite and I Saw The Devil and The Master my joint favorites
Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #59

Jul 2015
Finland

BITWC has some of the BEST acting ever. Hands down. I'm still pissed that neither of them got even nominated for oscar.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
BITWC has some of the BEST acting ever. Hands down. I'm still pissed that neither of them got even nominated for oscar.
the acting and film is amazing, its just not something i would watch again.

the wrestler is one of my favs, i loved the master (my girlfriend hated it!!), zero dark thirty is alright , i saw the devil is my fav plain film and the others im going to watch very soon! sugarman this weekend!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Tags
archive, list, master, plain, selective