Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
17 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
My Bloody Valentine (Blu-ray)
$24.05
25 min ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
45 min ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$17.91
16 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Old 12-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #1221

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
I asked them about Parasite and they're not releasing it
I believe that CJ entertainment shall be the company releasing Parasite in Korea.
Plain actually have been involved with the Parasite Steelbook due for release in France for the company called 'The Jokers'
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 12:47 AM   #1222

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowscythe85 View Post
I'll be honest, I forget Plain exists half the time. You don't really hear about them putting out must get releases or any on a sort of consistant schedule anymore. I mean another edition of Carol? Really? I get that it must sell well enough to pay the bills, but that's not how you grow your brand. Maybe they've become complacent or don't really care much for the international market anymore.

I am hoping the new year brings better news from Plain. Really hoping they get Parasite and maybe some bigger name movies/deserving indie movies as releases, or maybe just release some of the previously announced stuff that has been just sitting in limbo for year(s) at this point.
I responded to a similar comment on the carol thread, as follows:

Plains output has actually been quite productive this year considering they've had a period of blu ray release inactivity, due to the relocation of their office, a period of talks in Korea related to physical products and arranging one off cinema showings.
Admittedly, the blu ray output has been lower than previous, but they've released some amazing books (the Carol, parasite and Mother books are of Incredible quality) in their absence.
They've also previously gone on record stating if it wasn't for the Paterson release this year, the last 12 months would have been difficult for them.The book releases have proven very popular for them, parasite is currently on its 4th edition, Carol soon on its 2nd edition and Mother also on its 2nd edition.
As a business, they must be in a position of making profit. Carol Is hugely popular in Korea. The books also appear to be generating interest and no doubt profit. If this means a delay to the previous announcements, personally I don't mind waiting a little longer. A midsummers fantasia was recently officially announced after a long delay, so hopefully that's a good sign, fingers crossed.
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (01-30-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #1223
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Someone asked on Plain's instagram and they said yes, they will be releasing Portrait of a Lady on Fire on blu
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (01-30-2020), Heapashifter (01-13-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:49 AM   #1224

Oct 2015
USA

Quote:
Someone asked on Plain's instagram and they said yes, they will be releasing Portrait of a Lady on Fire on blu
looking forward to that! incredible film and a must buy for me, if they make more than one edition I'll buy all of them
Old 01-18-2020, 02:57 AM   #1225
Power Member

Jul 2015
SoCal

Quote:
I hope they open preorders after its wide release in the US ‘cause I’m dying to see this movie and somehow everyone else has already (mostly illegally.)
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (01-30-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:34 AM   #1226

Mar 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Has anyone had any experience with some of the Plain DVDs. It frustrates me to no end that gems that scream for the premium blu experience like Jackie and 20th Century Women are DVD only, but maybe something somewhat premium is better than nothing.
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (01-30-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #1227
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Still waiting for The Florida Project on bd they promised to release.
Thanks given by:
DarthEd (01-30-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #1228
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Thelma available for preorder on February 6th..... on DVD only.

Whatever, I guess.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:50 AM   #1229

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
Still waiting for The Florida Project on bd they promised to release.
Same!!!

What's with the DVD releases? Has Plain lost the right to release Blu-rays or something?
Old 01-30-2020, 04:53 AM   #1230
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthEd View Post
Same!!!

What's with the DVD releases? Has Plain lost the right to release Blu-rays or something?
Since they had a blu-ray come out last week and another blu-ray come out this week it seems they haven't lost the rights.

Dvds still sell very well. Dvds still outsell blu-rays by a ton in the US and I imagine they do in other places too.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #1231

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
Since they had a blu-ray come out last week and another blu-ray come out this week it seems they haven't lost the rights.
My question was mainly in jest or for hyperbole. That said, Carol hardly counts. That’s a re-re-release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
Dvds still sell very well. Dvds still outsell blu-rays by a ton in the US and I imagine they do in other places too.
Sure, at places like Wal-Mart or the local grocery store. Americans who buy DVDs aren’t buying from South Korean specialty retailers on the Internet. Americans who buy DVDs do so because they are cheap and convenient. Buying releases from Plain is neither of those things. I very much doubt the vast majority of Plain’s North American customers want DVDs in the year 2020. So the DVDs must be for other customers, I guess.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #1232
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
My question was mainly in jest or for hyperbole. That said, Carol hardly counts. That’s a re-re-release.
I wasn't including Carol. A Midsummer's Fantasia and One Cut of the Dead were the two I was thinking of.

Quote:
Sure, at places like Wal-Mart or the local grocery store. Americans who buy DVDs aren’t buying from South Korean specialty retailers on the Internet. Americans who buy DVDs do so because they are cheap and convenient. Buying releases from Plain is neither of those things. I very much doubt the vast majority of Plain’s North American customers want DVDs in the year 2020. So the DVDs must be for other customers, I guess.
That's correct. Those Dvds are mainly made for their own country to sell in stores and other websites.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #1233

Aug 2014

So, in response to a tweet about a possible date for release of Portrait of a lady on fire on blu ray or dvd, Plain responded as follows:

"With the decline of the DVD and BD markets, we are diversifying our business into a variety of film product areas, such as publishing. There are many efforts, but it is difficult to give an assertive answer. It's a bit too early to say something right now"

Therefore, possibly more books on the horizon (which are great if you don't already own them) and possibly not as many blurays as previous years, but Who knows?
Assuming the previously announced products will still appear at some point this year.

Their local market doesn't appear to have much of an interest in physical products of movies.

It also appears as a collector nowadays, the blu rays that sell well internationally are the ones that have super duper over the top finishes (embossing, debossing, spot gloss, foil finish - usually all on the same Slip!), but usually on mediocre or forgettable popcorn-type films (my opinion).
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (02-16-2020), Heapashifter (02-05-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #1234

Aug 2016

Plain has confirmed to me that they will be releasing both World War Z and A Monster Calls steelbooks this year. They also have posted those images for the new year. Maybe we can expect The Little Drummer Girl as a steelbook as well.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #1235

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by softverre View Post
Plain has confirmed to me that they will be releasing both World War Z and A Monster Calls steelbooks this year. They also have posted those images for the new year. Maybe we can expect The Little Drummer Girl as a steelbook as well.
Great news! :-)

The one photo is related to the previously announced super Deluxe Edition of Believer & moonlight may be another vinyl??. I recall there was a tweet last year mentioning something about another vinyl to be released.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #1236

Aug 2014

Ever wonder what Plain Archive addiction looks like?
Head over to my ig pj_not_dk and you'll find out! :-)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #1237
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Big Isle, 106 winters after The Fall (2321)

I guess The Immigrant release is pretty much dead now.

A damn shame.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #1238
Power Member

Jul 2015
SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Foot One View Post
So, in response to a tweet about a possible date for release of Portrait of a lady on fire on blu ray or dvd, Plain responded as follows:

"With the decline of the DVD and BD markets, we are diversifying our business into a variety of film product areas, such as publishing. There are many efforts, but it is difficult to give an assertive answer. It's a bit too early to say something right now"

Therefore, possibly more books on the horizon (which are great if you don't already own them) and possibly not as many blurays as previous years, but Who knows?
Assuming the previously announced products will still appear at some point this year.
[Show spoiler]
Their local market doesn't appear to have much of an interest in physical products of movies.

It also appears as a collector nowadays, the blu rays that sell well internationally are the ones that have super duper over the top finishes (embossing, debossing, spot gloss, foil finish - usually all on the same Slip!), but usually on mediocre or forgettable popcorn-type films (my opinion).
I see this as good and bad news. Personally, I'd prefer a nice collector's edition of a movie over a book (I mean, I'm on this site...) But I do really love the Carol screenplay and would've liked to get the Handmaiden books they released with their blu-ray editions. I think they should do more screenplay releases if they're focusing on print, however, I can only be interested in buying ones that have english versions, which is not their priority. The Handmaiden books had little to no english so there was almost no reason for me to get it. At least with blu-rays there's a slew of subtitles in different languages.

I was really hoping to get a collector's edition of Portrait of a Lady on Fire but it sounds like that's probably not going to happen. Was counting on them for that and don't know of another company that would make a collector's edition for that film and those similar.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Tags
archive, list, master, plain, selective