Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Freaky (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Greenland (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Let Him Go (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Vanguard (Blu-ray)
$14.96
7 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice Society: World War II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Dam Busters (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 01-18-2021, 03:45 AM   #261
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
The thing is, it's so hard to find the right job. I've had three jobs so far and these are the issues....

Job #1- Decent boss and decent co-workers, but very very low pay. Would be lucky if I can pay my bills with this job. Luckily I was living with my parents at the time.

Job #2- Excellent co-workers and I learn a lot from the work, not to mention they give great raises and bonuses. But my boss was a mean, abusive micro-manager that treated me like a punching bag.

Job #3- Very nice boss and great co-workers, and the work is challenging which helps me learn a lot. But the raises and bonuses are peanuts, and the client we service is demanding, leading to high turnover and extremely long working hours.

If you notice that on all of my jobs, I have no complaints about the work nor have I ever had issues with working with my colleagues. So, you would think I'd the right job I'd be happy with. In fact, the cheap raises and bonuses on my current job wouldn't be a big bother to me if the work wasn't as demanding as it is. If I'm working 9-6 every day, then fine, be cheap with my salary. But given the fact that I'm killing myself working and burning the midnight oil, then I feel I deserve to be compensated better. A 5% raise on a promotion is a real slap in the face, given how hard I've been working.
That’s the pitfall of public accounting. You’re at the whim of your client. I went private and am never looking back. I work 9-5 most days and never work past 5 on Friday or ever on weekends unless I choose to do so for deadlines. Work/life is truly stressed here from the top down. For the first time in my accounting career I have off for MLK. This place is amazing!! I still hate accounting, though. Absolutely hate it with every fiber of my being. But my job is nice.

Last edited by beefytwinkie; 01-18-2021 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:27 AM   #262
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
That’s the pitfall of public accounting. You’re at the whim of your client. I went private and am never looking back. I work 9-5 most days and never work past 5 on Friday or ever on weekends unless I choose to do so for deadlines. Work/life is truly stressed here from the top down. For the first time in my accounting career I have off for MLK. This place is amazing!! I still hate accounting, though. Absolutely hate it with every fiber of my being. But my job is nice.
I don’t work in pubic accounting. I work in private equity. I’m a fund accountant.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #263
Power Member

Oct 2008

Ah, right, you mentioned you were not in public. If you work in private equity, why do you have client work? I know two fund accountants in private equity firms who work for the needs of the firm, not the client. One is in real estate and the other deals with credit derivatives. They manage the accounting of the investments of the firm and neither of them work hours like yours (not even close) nor respond to client needs, ever.

Edit: just read up more on fund accounting for private equity. I think I have a better understanding if what you mean when you say your clients have demands. It appears my friends have more unique roles than the norm.

Hope you can find some time to relax today. I would normally rather work today and get a floating holiday to use at my discretion later but my firm made it a legal holiday for us this year. Oh well. It could be worse.

Last edited by beefytwinkie; 01-18-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #264
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
Ah, right, you mentioned you were not in public. If you work in private equity, why do you have client work? I know two fund accountants in private equity firms who work for the needs of the firm, not the client. One is in real estate and the other deals with credit derivatives. They manage the accounting of the investments of the firm and neither of them work hours like yours (not even close) nor respond to client needs, ever.

Edit: just read up more on fund accounting for private equity. I think I have a better understanding if what you mean when you say your clients have demands. It appears my friends have more unique roles than the norm.

Hope you can find some time to relax today. I would normally rather work today and get a floating holiday to use at my discretion later but my firm made it a legal holiday for us this year. Oh well. It could be worse.
I'm currently working in fund administration. Our clients are private equity firms that pay us to do the accounting for them. My last job was an actual private equity firm where we did our own accounting.

We technically don't have to work today, but it's year end and the auditors are demanding stuff now. So that's why we choose to work and then we use the holiday after the audit when it's not so busy. But given how short staffed we are, I don't see myself being able to use that floating holiday anytime soon.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:29 AM   #265
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I remember floating holidays, if I get them at my new job again I'll be using them for personal stuff like having birthdays off paid.
Thanks given by:
beefytwinkie (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #266
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
I remember floating holidays, if I get them at my new job again I'll be using them for personal stuff like having birthdays off paid.
They're your days. Use them when you need them! Call J.G. Wentworth 877 Cash Noooooooooow. Call now!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #267
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Wow, worked today until 1:30am. This is a record for me. I'm really dying here.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #268
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I'd NEVER do that. Not for any job or any price.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #269
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
That's okay! You are a valued employee and your achievements will be recognized.

I guess I shouldn't complain. I worked until 8 last night and I was feeling a bit antsy.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #270
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I make a living performing environmental inspections all over the north part of my state, which means that I spend a lot of my time driving through rural mountain towns to get from one site to another.

So...basically...I get paid to spend a lot of time listening to my favorite CDs in a work vehicle.

The paperwork is not fun, the occasional environmental court cases are not fun, and the associated hassles are not fun, but the field work is not bad at all.

On certain days, I cannot believe that I get paid to do this stuff. On other days, I'm burned out with the paperwork and administrative aspects of the job.

I've been doing this for just over 24 and a half years. When I hit the 25 year mark this summer, I will be eligible for early retirement, which I will not take, and, more importantly, I will be able to keep the health insurance benefits if I do leave the job.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (02-06-2021), beefytwinkie (02-04-2021), ctujackbauer (02-04-2021), Nightman (02-06-2021), oildude (02-03-2021), Scarriere (02-03-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #271
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I'd NEVER do that. Not for any job or any price.
Yeah and apparently to the eyes of my boss, my colleagues and my client, I still donít work hard enough.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #272

Jun 2019
rochester, ny

Quote:
Yeah and apparently to the eyes of my boss, my colleagues and my client, I still donít work hard enough.
I worked for a guy like that. Shortly after I started he wanted me to work Saturdays. I had young kids but he got pissed when I told him the kids had activities and that wasn't part of the deal. I had one day off between Thanksgiving and Christmas and he complained I wasn't reliable. Back then we had pagers and he felt I needed to answer any page up to 10:00 at night within minutes. Obviously after butting heads numerous times he fired me and I was so grateful. Best summer ever. He's in jail for bilking investors.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #273
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I don't love my new job but I do like it, which is a massive step up from the last 2 jobs I had as a dishwasher. Never been a storeroom clerk before and it's not what I went to school for 4 years to do so we'll see how long it lasts. I could even see myself moving to a different position in the same hospital that's more closely related to the degree I'm getting in May.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-07-2021), The Great Owl (02-24-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #274
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-
-

After being on furlough for nine months and then getting laid off and having to find a new job, I realized how nice it is to not work. But you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills and save for retirement.
Thanks given by:
Mike16 (02-13-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat