Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
2 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
1 day ago
The Daydreamer (Blu-ray)
$19.89
14 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 03-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #30521
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
It looks like Sony just announced they will no longer sell movies and tv shows through the Playstation store.
Not sure about already "purchased" content
Another one bites the dust
Falling like dominoes over the last two years.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (Yesterday)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #30522
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I have to ask you this; how do you feel about the quality of its DVD playback, if you still watch any DVDs, that is?

I'm glad that you're happy with it and saving $50 is still damn nice.
I do still watch some DVDs. My wife has a few Audrey Hepburn films on DVD and I have watched most of them through the player. I think the player does a great job with DVDs but Older DVDs look better than Newer.

Newer movies on DVD look too soft on the player. I actually wonder if that is maybe due to the lack of care studios are putting in their DVDs vs. Blu-Ray or even 4K?? People need to understand though that as the resolution goes up, DVD is going to look worse and worse. But overall, I like the DVD playback of the 820.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #30523
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Falling like dominoes over the last two years.
If that were really so, you'd think that our friends that buy lots of digital titles would be among the first, and the loudest, to complain. Do I need a hearing aid because I am not hearing such an outcry?
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #30524
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
Wonder how a DV digital copy would compare to a HDR disc . I cant compare because my tv is only HDR
I have done numerous comparisons. It's down to tone mapping of your TV. Also DV is very difficult to implement on disc. Some Studios do FEL and some do MEL. Google for FEL/MEL. On some discs, the enhancement layer is just noise meaning it does nothing. Visit the DV sticky thread in 4K disc forum for more details.

On most cases, DV looks better on my Panasonic 65GZ1000 OLED over HDR10 (could be due to the way tone mapping works on my TV). The improvements are mostly subtle and comes in the form of deeper / nuanced colours and better rendition of highlights. For instance, Man of Steel, The Prestige DV stream looked better TO ME EYES over the HDR10 on disc.

Yesterday, I compared Maze Runner D+ DV Vs. HDR10 (disc/stream). I noticed differences right off the bat. In terms of colour palette and highlight rendition, D+ was noticeably better. However, The disc did better on fast motion scenes due to better compression. Otherwise, it's like tossing a coin.

For those who are strictly physical, better get a capable TV to enjoy your collection. I am planning to upgrade to Sony 77A90J or Panasonic JZ2000 subject to how these turn out as there is so much hype around these TVs at least in the UK.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #30525

Aug 2020

That was before the 20% discount and I had a $75 credit as well. It was definitely worth waiting for it.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #30526
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
I have done numerous comparisons. It's down to tone mapping of your TV. Also DV is very difficult to implement on disc. Some Studios do FEL and some do MEL. Google for FEL/MEL. On some discs, the enhancement layer is just noise meaning it does nothing. Visit the DV sticky thread in 4K disc forum for more details.

On most cases, DV looks better on my Panasonic 65GZ1000 OLED over HDR10 (could be due to the way tone mapping works on my TV). The improvements are mostly subtle and comes in the form of deeper / nuanced colours and better rendition of highlights. For instance, Man of Steel, The Prestige DV stream looked better TO ME EYES over the HDR10 on disc.

Yesterday, I compared Maze Runner D+ DV Vs. HDR10 (disc/stream). I noticed differences right off the bat. In terms of colour palette and highlight rendition, D+ was noticeably better. However, The disc did better on fast motion scenes due to better compression. Otherwise, it's like tossing a coin.

For those who are strictly physical, better get a capable TV to enjoy your collection. I am planning to upgrade to Sony 77A90J or Panasonic JZ2000 subject to how these turn out as there is so much hype around these TVs at least in the UK.
For reference, all streaming DV is basically MEL by another name anyway as there's no enhancement layer whatsoever, just an 8-bit or 10-bit stream (with dynamic metadata appended to the least significant bit) that's unpacked then upsampled to 12-bit at the end. So even though MEL discs "do nothing" when it comes to the enhancement layer, they're no worse off than streaming DV as they still have the dynamic metadata, plus better compression of coursh.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (Yesterday), Steedeel (Yesterday), Wendell R. Breland (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #30527
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For reference, all streaming DV is basically MEL by another name anyway as there's no enhancement layer whatsoever, just an 8-bit or 10-bit stream (with dynamic metadata appended to the least significant bit) that's unpacked then upsampled to 12-bit at the end. So even though MEL discs "do nothing" when it comes to the enhancement layer, they're no worse off than streaming DV as they still have the dynamic metadata, plus better compression of coursh.
FEL, I totally get it.

But many discs with MEL are just 77 Kbps. Do you think this would really improve compression on top HDR10?

Do understand the DV enhancement layer is saving some of these Studio Canal UHDs from falling apart.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #30528
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Here you go:

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #30529
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

I hate these types of comparison. People have the tendency to think that they are actually comparing the differences between the two by looking at the YouTube stream. This is as foolish as doing audio comparison by listening and comparing the different system via audio recording.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (Yesterday), Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #30530
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
I hate these types of comparison. People have the tendency to think that they are actually comparing the differences between the two by looking at the YouTube stream. This is as foolish as doing audio comparison by listening and comparing the different system via audio recording.
The way I see is he is just helping few folks with the disclaimer that don't judge anything by how it looks on YouTube.

You can even see Geoff posting comparison pictures in his reviews.

Some people have the time and passion to go the extra mile to help others.

At least he is not taking crap like Quantum who thinks HDR is a scam.
Thanks given by:
Admiral (Today), sapiendut (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #30531
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
The way I see is he is just helping few folks with the disclaimer that don't judge anything by how it looks on YouTube.
Still people see HD or 4K SDR YouTube videos and come to purchasing conclusions, its just the way it is.

The same is true with speaker/headphone comparisons.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (Yesterday), Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #30532

Jul 2010
USA

What I took away from the video is that your average viewer would be hard pressed to notice any differences. I would imagine that DV Disc vs HDR disc would be a similar comparison?
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #30533
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
FEL, I totally get it.

But many discs with MEL are just 77 Kbps. Do you think this would really improve compression on top HDR10?

Do understand the DV enhancement layer is saving some of these Studio Canal UHDs from falling apart.
Where did I say that MEL improves compression? I was referring to the underlying HDR10 layer of the MEL discs which will, 9 times out of 10, still be better compressed than the stream. Indeed, David Mackenzie prefers to use MEL because he can fully optimise the HDR10 encode and just bolt on the dynamic metadata. So even though the MEL disc and the stream are both just 10-bit transport streams plus dynamic metadata, the disc still wins for compression. Usually

Quote:
Who's this for?
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #30534
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

[QUOTE=Geoff D;18684946]Where did I say that MEL improves compression? I was referring to the underlying HDR10 layer of the MEL discs which will, 9 times out of 10, still be better compressed than the stream. Indeed, David Mackenzie prefers to use MEL because he can fully optimise the HDR10 encode and just bolt on the dynamic metadata. So even though the MEL disc and the stream are both just 10-bit transport streams plus dynamic metadata, the disc still wins for compression. Usually

Disc for the win as usual!
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #30535
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Who's this for?
Its for member cpr3584 who asked this question.
Old Today, 01:41 AM   #30536
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

My Fellini Box Set, Amores Perros, and Parallax View just arrived from the Criterion flash sale. I think I'm gonna fire up Parallax View.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (Today), Vilya (Today), Wendell R. Breland (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology