Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Gretel & Hansel (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
1917 (Blu-ray)
$20.55
55 min ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
14 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Flashdance (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013
Default Wild Rose (2019)

Quote:
Jessie Buckley delivers a star-making performance as Rose-Lynn, a would-be country singer who dreams of leaving her rough life in Glasgow, Scotland for the bright lights of Nashville. Fresh out of a stint in prison, Rose-Lynn is a single mom with an ankle monitor, a curfew, and a concerned mother (Julie Walters), who wants her to focus more on her two children and less on her music. But when Rose- Lynn tries to hold down a housekeeping job, her boss (Sophie Okonedo) hears her singing and becomes an unlikely supporter, intent on getting her to Nashville despite the long odds. Caught between hope and responsibility, Rose-Lynn must find her place without abandoning her raw talent and grand ambitions.
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

I really want to see this. It looks good.
Thanks given by:
JWFORD (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

I'm not a Weegie but Buckley's accent sounded very good.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Yeah I thought it was pretty convincing as well, I think only native Glaswegians will find any issue with it, Julie Walters' accent not quite as good, but passable enough.

I caught the film about two weeks back in a Cineworld Unlimited preview screening and enjoyed it. It's obviously being compared to A Star is Born but this is more a coming of age drama about a woman who has never really grown up and has put herself in a situation where it's entirely selfish to chase her dreams. It's more about the sense of entitlement talent can bring and that success requires hard work rather than an ingenue who already has all the skills and talent and just needs discovering to rise to the top.

Only two issues: It's incredibly formulaic, but the performances are so good and Buckley's talent shines enough that you can easily overlook this, and they kinda depict Glasgow as this insular, cultural black hole where appreciation of country music is as rara as pixie dust. A bit odd when you consider one of the city's most popular musical exports is the country-influenced pop-rock group Texas!

Oh and look out for Stevie the Bookie in a very brief turn as a Prison Guard (Americans probably won't have a clue who I'm talking about!)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Oh and look out for Stevie the Bookie in a very brief turn as a Prison Guard (Americans probably won't have a clue who I'm talking about!)
I have no idea who you're talking about!
Thanks given by:
CelluloidPal (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

It's a Still Game reference!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:23 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

It's a Still Game reference!
I see. Never watched it.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:09 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

One of the all-time-great Scottish and British sitcoms, recently ended as well! Just made me chuckle seeing Matt Costello cameo as a prison guard at the beginning of Wild Rose!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
NJ

Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Looks very interesting...
Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Wild Rose is now playing in limited release. See if it is playing in your city: https://www.wildrose-movie.com/tickets/
Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Ok, so I finally had a chance to catch this, and it is a total delight - and I don't even like Western music! I hope Jessie gets a nomination for this performance, she does a great job.

Only wish I could watch this in a Dolby Cinema, but not even Yesterday managed that
Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Wild Rose is truly one of the best movies of the year, and it should be a crime that Universal didn't see fit to give it a blu-ray release.

Amazon currently has a coupon for the DVD that brings the price down to a reasonable $11.99. This one is essential for the physical media collection, even if all Universal is offering is an outdated format.
Thanks given by:
Britnasty (09-26-2019), jackinbox (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #14

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
Wild Rose is truly one of the best movies of the year, and it should be a crime that Universal didn't see fit to give it a blu-ray release.

Amazon currently has a coupon for the DVD that brings the price down to a reasonable $11.99. This one is essential for the physical media collection, even if all Universal is offering is an outdated format.
I agree that it's a crime that this wasn't released on Blu-Ray. At the very least, they could have provided a code for a Digital HD copy with the DVD.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:

Well, I was wondering when this would get a home video release. But, $11.99 is still too much for a DVD. I'll keep an eye out for a price drop this Black Friday. Hopefully, it will be available for streaming on one of the major platforms soon.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
Hopefully, it will be available for streaming on one of the major platforms soon.
NEON usually goes to HULU quickly.
Thanks given by:
JWFORD (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

May 2015

I saw this a couple of months back when my AMC had it. It's a nice film carried by newcomer Jessie Buckley. I always appreciate when an actor does their own singing in a movie. It makes the performance even more authentic. She's certainly one to watch. She made her film debut in last year's "Beast", which is also a good flick.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

I just received this email from Amazon:

Congratulations! Because of your recent purchase from Amazon.com, you are receiving a code for a complimentary digital download of the Wild Rose Official Motion Picture Soundtrack.

So if you order the DVD from Amazon, you get the soundtrack free.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
I just received this email from Amazon:

Congratulations! Because of your recent purchase from Amazon.com, you are receiving a code for a complimentary digital download of the Wild Rose Official Motion Picture Soundtrack.

So if you order the DVD from Amazon, you get the soundtrack free.
That's a nice perk. Is the soundtrack any good?
Old 09-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
That's a nice perk. Is the soundtrack any good?
I enjoyed it. They actually gave me the soundtrack code for seeing it in theaters (was a special pre-release screening with a Jessie Buckley Q+A and song performance after).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies