Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.38
10 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.23

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.76

Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.58

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.04

Drive Angry 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.74

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Collider News of 4 new Avatars, starting December 2018 through 2023. This news report takes a pretty negative view of 4 movies on the way since few of them are actual fans of the movie. I enjoy watching Avatar 3D for the most part despite a few flaws.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Storywise, four Avatars in a row may get a little tiresome. That's kind of how I feel toward superhero movies now. Still, there are two years in between each movie, and James Cameron is a great director. I've never seen a movie of his that I didn't love (although I've never had the desire to put on Piranha Two: The Spawning). I just hope he doesn't go the Peter Jackson Hobbit route, but gives each movie its own complete story arc instead.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #23
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Agreed that each story needs to offer something significantly new. It sounds like he's got each movie planned out already and hopefully scripted.

He suggested all of the pre production is completed to begin filming soon, which would include a lot of the aliens, creatures, ships, effects, landscapes, etc.

I'm kind of hoping part 2 isn't mostly underwater as some rumors suggested from years ago, though underwater 3D is pretty awesome in general when the 3D is strong.

4 more movies then instead of 3? Or 4 total? I need to replay that video. Okay, 4 more for 5 total movies. Being one of the biggest ticket sellers in history, I can see why he's investing so much.

1 2009
2 2018
3 2020
4 2022
5 2023
Thanks given by:
Hardkore (03-10-2017)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I'm betting that 1, 2, and 3 are separate related stories, and 4 & 5 is a two-part finale.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

That sounds right since the final two are currently planned a year apart.

I wonder if Sam Worthington will appear in this series? And if we'll follow the story again of the Na'vi or move on to another lifeform attacked by mankind? Weaver is said to be returning in some way,
[Show spoiler]maybe as a Na'vi.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #26
Special Member

Jul 2009

Big question is are these going to be shot in high framerate, and if so will we ever get a way to play them that way at home?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

High frame rate of 48 or so I heard awhile ago. Playable at home if UHD can offer it since it's twice as much information to process than a 24 fps blu ray.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #28
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
That sounds right since the final two are currently planned a year apart.

I wonder if Sam Worthington will appear in this series? And if we'll follow the story again of the Na'vi or move on to another lifeform attacked by mankind? Weaver is said to be returning in some way,
[Show spoiler]maybe as a Na'vi.
I'm guessing Sam will still be in it, just not physically, bearing in mind how the first movie ended.

I read a rumour that the villain Quaritch may be returning too! Kind of weird as he faced his demise in the first. Made me think cloning might factor in. Who knows though, maybe that rumour from some time ago is just BS.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #29
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4zJHG3JlEU

Collider News of 4 new Avatars, starting December 2018 through 2023. This news report takes a pretty negative view of 4 movies on the way since few of them are actual fans of the movie. I enjoy watching Avatar 3D for the most part despite a few flaws.
The snark and vitrol for Avatar years later boggles my mind and makes me heartbroken honestly. That movie changed my life and fully cemented my love and thirst for 3D and it showed me that 3D was the future! To see Matt Goldberg's snark and negativity (he is one of the most negative critics I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I swear he hates everything and he has the most cynical attitude about any anything period) fester and culminate in his comment regarding Avatar as "noble savage bullcrap" really pissed me off. Sure Avatar has clichés, but the way it fuses a fully developed and NEW universe with familiar tropes is why it works so well and is secret to Avatar's genius imo.

No matter what though, I'm there day one for the Avatar sequels that all have waited 9 years for. I'm absolutely ready to see James Cameron's roaring return to 3d and the further adventures of Jake Sully and and the planet of Pandora!
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #30
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I'm guessing Sam will still be in it, just not physically, bearing in mind how the first movie ended.

I read a rumour that the villain Quaritch may be returning too! Kind of weird as he faced his demise in the first. Made me think cloning might factor in. Who knows though, maybe that rumour from some time ago is just BS.
My theory on Quaritch is that his soul will be transferred to an Avatar body and that it would be through a much darker and sinister method compared to the ceremony performed at the Tree of Souls. How cool would it be if there was an dark side to the planet that was ancient and long dormant that wanted to use Quaritch to heraled the dark return of a mysterious evil!!!???? The possibilities are so exciting lol!
Thanks given by:
Paul H (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
My theory on Quaritch is that his soul will be transferred to an Avatar body and that it would be through a much darker and sinister method compared to the ceremony performed at the Tree of Souls. How cool would it be if there was an dark side to the planet that was ancient and long dormant that wanted to use Quaritch to heraled the dark return of a mysterious evil!!!???? The possibilities are so exciting lol!
Something like that sounds cool! A good idea, who knows what's in store!

I rewatched Avatar this past week, in 3D of course. The technology has definitely moved on a little since its release. Mainly the CG environments in places have dated and have very apparent CG textures on them. The character work is still absolutely stunning though. Funnily enough I thought parts of The Jungle Book were at the same kind of level as Avatar, surprised it didn't look loads better considering it's 2016 now and Avatar was 2009.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #32

Aug 2013

Interesting to note that a certain AV forum with a hatred for 3d just gave Jungle book 10/10 and said SEE IT IN 3D !!!!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

Quote:

I'm kind of hoping part 2 isn't mostly underwater as some rumors suggested from years ago, though underwater 3D is pretty awesome in general when the 3D is strong.
Not sure if that rumor started by me several years ago but my source was very strong. Spoiler
[Show spoiler]A friend of mine is extremely close to a fx guy and later director who worked on Avatar. I don't want to name him but im sure you can put it together. He is working on the Avatar films, Cameron actually waited for him while he was on another project. He said it will be underwater and a subplot will be a poisoning of the waters. If this plot still holds because it was like 4 or 5 years ago. I posted it on Blu-ray.com and it soon made its rounds on the internet. I have met this said person but I'm not one to dig for movie dirt at a social gathering. My friend is still very close to him and his family.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5939 View Post
Interesting to note that a certain AV forum with a hatred for 3d just gave Jungle book 10/10 and said SEE IT IN 3D !!!!
Link to the forum? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blufan View Post
Not sure if that rumor started by me several years ago but my source was very strong. Spoiler
[Show spoiler]A friend of mine is extremely close to a fx guy and later director who worked on Avatar. I don't want to name him but im sure you can put it together. He is working on the Avatar films, Cameron actually waited for him while he was on another project. He said it will be underwater and a subplot will be a poisoning of the waters. If this plot still holds because it was like 4 or 5 years ago. I posted it on Blu-ray.com and it soon made its rounds on the internet. I have met this said person but I'm not one to dig for movie dirt at a social gathering. My friend is still very close to him and his family.
Thanks. I'd be interested in an underwater picture provided the water is clear and bright (not murky like the deep ocean) with a good line of sight distance for the sake of depth.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #35

Feb 2017
Midwest, USA

Yet, another delay. James Cameron says Avatar 2 will not be ready in time for a 2018 release. I know many of you on this forum were expecting this delay so I guess your beliefs have now been confirmed.

http://www.thewrap.com/james-cameron...delayed-again/
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (03-10-2017), bud_brigman (03-10-2017), Paul H (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #36
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

2019 then. The first sequel will arrive a decade after the first film.

The others will surely be a year or two apart at the most though. Given that they are making all of these simultaneously.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Me thinks some companies are going to need to provide 3D tvs again as a returning feature for Avatar 2-5! Or, perhaps, it will be great in VR headsets.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #38
Expert Member

Aug 2011
the Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
Me thinks some companies are going to need to provide 3D tvs again as a returning feature for Avatar 2-5! Or, perhaps, it will be great in VR headsets.
I think the future of at home 3D might just be VR. And actually if 3D on Televisions ever return I could see it being spun by marketing as "VR TV", maybe when glasses free is perfected.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

I can't really get on board with 'VR for 3D' bandwagon.

I like watching movies with my family and don't want to wear a VR helmet.

Glasses-free 3D would be OK, but I wouldn't rush out to buy yet another TV for it.

The Industry should have kept current 3D 'as is' in better 4K TVs till something better came along.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #40
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

My 3DTVs are working well, but when the glasses free 3D TVs are perfected or ready enough to offer strong 3D pop outs, I'll be onboard with a new set. Till then, if I ever need it, the secondary market of older products go on for a very long time with reasonable prices at times. Just look at any 8 Track player or old console from the 80's. They're still available to consumers and even have resurgences with updated, new consoles. The same could happen with glasses 3D TVs. Cameron says once the 4K thing cools down with the manufacturers, they have glasses free 3D ready to go, suggesting his experience of the medium is suitable for home 3D.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies