Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
I Still Believe (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Maniac 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.20
21 hrs ago
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Tokyo Godfathers (Blu-ray)
$22.45
 
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
9 hrs ago
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
 
Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.25
21 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
DJR662 DJR662 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
27
Default Sony Z9D/ZD9 65", 75", 100"

Anything related to one of the greatest TVs ever made can be discussed here.

Questions, observations, experiences. Ask away or share your thoughts.

Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
mutelight mutelight is offline
Expert Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
19
149
1
Default

I've had my Z since August of 2016 and always had a bit of DSE where I could see vertical stripes in solid bright colors but it wasn't all that apparent. Over the past year or so it seemed to have become a bit more apparent and Red Dead Redemption 2 really showed it off with the open blue skies. (I disabled HDR on the Xbox since R* is using fake HDR with SDR in a HDR container screwing up the image.)

I tried the micro fiber cloth massaging tip and it helped immensely. Just gently massaged in circles all over the panel and it was a marked improvement.

When my buddy and I first moved the TV from the stand to my mount, I remember seeing the screen ripple like water even though we were gentle.

So anyway, even if you have minor DSE, it wouldn't hurt to do the massage trick to see if it can improve things.

Lastly, my Steelbook Matrix Trilogy came in this week and this weekend I will be watching all three in Dolby Vision and cannot wait. I skipped through the first and last movie and the picture quality is simply sublime. They had the original DP help grade all of the movies for DV and it shows, it is like watching the movie for the first time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (11-02-2018), Scarriere (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
58
449
37
8
Default

who has that beast of 100" ? makes me jealous with my 75"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
JimShaw JimShaw is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
45
1032
133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
who has that beast of 100" ? makes me jealous with my 75"
I am with you. Also jealous.

But to have gotten one, I would have had to sell my house, car, dogs, use my savings and still would have to make payments.


.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
pbz06 pbz06 is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2009
201
515
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I am with you. Also jealous.

But to have gotten one, I would have had to sell my house, car, dogs, use my savings and still would have to make payments.


.
"...and it was worth it"

I finished your sentence
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
JimShaw JimShaw is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
45
1032
133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
"...and it was worth it"

I finished your sentence

I fell down and couldn't finish it. Thanks



.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Ste7en Ste7en is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ste7en's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
Durham, UK
167
3262
40
2
Default

I watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on my 65" last night. The BD. It looked gorgeous.

I often forget how great this set actually is (it is in a separate room I haven't been using much).

Looking forward to watching something else this weekend now
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
DJR662 DJR662 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
I watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on my 65" last night. The BD. It looked gorgeous.

I often forget how great this set actually is (it is in a separate room I haven't been using much).

Looking forward to watching something else this weekend now
Lol.

Makes me wander what you have in your main room which prevents you from using the Z9D? Should be something really special then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
dgator783 dgator783 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
dgator783's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
Lakeland,FL
147
1226
11
14
Send a message via AIM to dgator783
Default

Got it all hooked up, calibrated and holy crap, is it ever amazing. Watched Avengers IW just now and my mouth was wide ioen the enitre time. Perfection. Hell do i need even go to the theater anymore...?...lol. this tv is amazing...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
JimShaw JimShaw is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JimShaw's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
45
1032
133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgator783 View Post
Got it all hooked up, calibrated and holy crap, is it ever amazing. Watched Avengers IW just now and my mouth was wide ioen the enitre time. Perfection. Hell do i need even go to the theater anymore...?...lol. this tv is amazing...

I have a 75" Z9D and my wife and I have not been to a theater in a few years.


.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I have a 75" Z9D and my wife and I have not been to a theater in a few years.


.
You should try a Dolby Cinema, your wife would love it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #12
Bigdog Bigdog is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bigdog's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
14
1
Default

What are people's thoughts on this tv, best buy has them online 65" for around 2k. Is this a worthy buy still or has it been passed by with qled or oled?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
DJR662 DJR662 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What are people's thoughts on this tv, best buy has them online 65" for around 2k. Is this a worthy buy still or has it been passed by with qled or oled?
I'm biased obviously so for what it's worth it: IMO it's a classic TV and still the best LCD LED till this day. And if I have to make a choice, I would personally prefer the Z9D over any OLED let alone QLED. 2K is a great price btw.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
Auditor55 Auditor55 is offline
Special Member
 
Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What are people's thoughts on this tv, best buy has them online 65" for around 2k. Is this a worthy buy still or has it been passed by with qled or oled?
Really, they say sold out on Best Buy website.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Bigdog Bigdog is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bigdog's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
14
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Really, they say sold out on Best Buy website.
Your right, they were not though when I was looking on Monday.

Edit - well I was messing around and for some reason even though it is listed as sold out I went into previous viewed items and it let me add one to my cart. I am half tempted to fill it out and hit order to see if it actually goes through.

Last edited by Bigdog; 02-07-2019 at 07:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
529
1782
5
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I've had my Z since August of 2016 and always had a bit of DSE where I could see vertical stripes in solid bright colors but it wasn't all that apparent. Over the past year or so it seemed to have become a bit more apparent and Red Dead Redemption 2 really showed it off with the open blue skies. (I disabled HDR on the Xbox since R* is using fake HDR with SDR in a HDR container screwing up the image.)

I tried the micro fiber cloth massaging tip and it helped immensely. Just gently massaged in circles all over the panel and it was a marked improvement.

When my buddy and I first moved the TV from the stand to my mount, I remember seeing the screen ripple like water even though we were gentle.

So anyway, even if you have minor DSE, it wouldn't hurt to do the massage trick to see if it can improve things.
I discovered this too a while back after I'd moved the TV to another spot in the room, I noticed that the vertical 'banding' had gotten really bad. I remembered ye olde 'massage the screen' trick and gave it a try, with a microfibre cloth as you describe, and it cleaned it up brilliantly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #17
DVD Josh DVD Josh is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
DVD Josh's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
222
923
229
16
371
70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Really, they say sold out on Best Buy website.
Tell me about it. I was waiting for the 75" to drop to either $3K or 36/48 mos. financing and they sold out. I was shocked BB did not have any special financing during the NFL playoffs. Their deals were pretty pedestrian for the Super Bowl (like the game itself, lol).

Amazon has a few left from third party sellers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #18
Robert Zohn Robert Zohn is offline
Retailer Insider
 
Robert Zohn's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
2
Default

We have a few 75" Z9Ds available with 24 months interest free financing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
Pickyvideophile Pickyvideophile is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2019
Default

I am not a easy person to please and I must say I am very pleased with the z9d. We all know how good the picture quality is but what impress me the most was how clean the panel was no dse no banding no dark edges on the corners its a joy to watch sports like skiing and hockey on this tv.

I recently returned the q90r because the local dimming is not as good as the z9d, there is still a bit of black crush that messes with shadow detail, reverse blooming and dse, its 2019 and I still cant find a led tv to beat the z9d.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #20
Unknown450 Unknown450 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Unknown450's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
USA
7
644
6
113
Default

I wanted to get the 65'' at Best Buy but seems they finally sold out and are out of stock for good. I missed my chance.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 AM.