Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
9 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America (Blu-ray)
$14.98
14 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
15 hrs ago
The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Night of the Eagles (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Tales of the Uncanny (Blu-ray)
$14.98
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #401
Special Member

Oct 2014
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
I plan to use the time to create some custom artwork and give each season its own 4-disc Viva Elite case.
Would love to see what you come up with. I'm interested in doing the same!
Old 12-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #402

Jun 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
I'm not overly concerned with the use of DNR here - this is, after all, a television series - and, for the price, there's zero justification for slamming the release. I suspect those who are complaining about DNR are doing so as a way to legitimize their reasoning for skipping a purchase, knowing full well they'll probably cave in the end and buy it anyway. Barring a minor miracle, this will likely be it for this series on Blu-ray and, I, for one, can't wait to go through it again on a format other than DVD. We know the series was shot on film so if some intrepid label someday decides to gamble on a true restoration, we're almost assured it will be worth the wait.

My copy is on the move and estimated for December 30.
I did the first 7 seasons with video enhance AI (VEAI) from Topaz labs. I highly suspect that it is the same software that they used to make those blurays, because comparing videos and captures, the videos that I scaled and "enhanced" look exactly the same as the captures and videos of the bluray. For me to buy those blurays with the same video quality that I already have, it seems silly. In fact, I am going to redo the series but this time I will leave some grain so as not to eliminate all the details, which are a lot. From seeing a guy with a 4-day beard, to seeing a face that looks like plastic, there is a lot of difference, it's not just a little bit, and you don't have to be a purist for that, the difference is abysmal
Thanks given by:
rdodolak (12-25-2020), Revolver31 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #403

Mar 2016
Somewhere... somewhere

I wonder what those TV rips would look like through AI.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #404

Sep 2012

I will definitely get this. I agree with others who want the perfect set with detail and no DNR, but my understanding has always been that the Star Trek TNG upgrades lost money, and due to that it won`t happen to either DS9 or Voyager. There are more Star Trek fans than SG 1 fans and the costs would never even out to do a full upgrade for SG 1. It isn't bad to complain and hope for better, but realisticly, to me anyway, this is the best we`ll probably get. I worry too that if MGM is sold, the blu-ray will quickly go out of print...
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #405
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptor3076 View Post
I get that some people aren't happy with the use of DNR. That this release isn't the ground up restoration that they dreamed of. MGM is currently trying to sell itself to a buyer and isn't in a position to spend millions on a large undertaking like that on something that may never sell enough copies to break even let alone turn a profit. If Apple or WB purchase MGM it's mostly to get more content for their streaming services, not to spend money restoring a 15 year old show that many people have never heard of.

We are all entitled to our opinion but if some are so convinced this release is trash why not say that and move on? A handful of members seem to feel the need to post a negative response to any positive post or question about this release.
Is not about that this set wasn't restored from the ground up, but the heavy use of DNR and it's a waxy, smeary mess. It goes against the whole intent of Blu-ray releases and it would have been better without the use of it. Might as well stick with a stream.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #406
Expert Member

May 2009

Why is everyone all of a sudden speaking as if a full restoration or a DNR'd mess were the only two options? I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one certainly never expected this set to be anything but an upscale for the first seven seasons. I'm not even upset about the DNR of the early, super grainy seasons. I am disappointed that they applied the same noise reduction to the actual HD seasons which sure as hell didn't need it, and in doing so, worsened the video quality. I'll still buy this set if I can get my hands on it, but I'm not gonna pretend that VEI didn't screw up in some aspects, because they did.
Thanks given by:
bobbler8042 (01-05-2021), Ketchrust (12-25-2020), Revolver31 (12-25-2020), RickZarber (12-28-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #407

Feb 2013

So a total of about 3 minutes of footage and a handful of pictures is enough to determine that all 214 episodes are messed up? It seems that more and more every single thread on blu-ray.com has people trashing discs they don't own based off of only a few pictures
Thanks given by:
Gomephrus (12-30-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #408
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
So a total of about 3 minutes of footage and a handful of pictures is enough to determine that all 214 episodes are messed up?
It's like you didn't even read what I said.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #409

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Pig View Post
It's like you didn't even read what I said.
I wasn't directly responding to your post. I'm commenting about all the other posts calling it a smeared mess or no better than the dvds. Much of what you said in your most recent post I agree with.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #410
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
I wasn't directly responding to your post. I'm commenting about all the other posts calling it a smeared mess or no better than the dvds. Much of what you said in your most recent post I agree with.
Awright, fair enough.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #411

Feb 2013

I went ahead and placed an order. This, for better or worse, is likely the only blu-ray we will get for sg-1. If MGM is sold, as someone mentioned, this could go oop. If Apple or WB buy them it's almost guaranteed all Stargate shows will be exclusive to the buyers streaming service. This way I have it no matter what. I had some credit with Amazon so it will only be $9 a season so I'm willing to take a chance.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #412

Mar 2016
Canada

I just ordered as well. Might see about getting some empty cases to put them in however. I might even have some in storage doubt I have 10 though.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #413
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
I get that some people aren't happy with the use of DNR. That this release isn't the ground up restoration that they dreamed of. MGM is currently trying to sell itself to a buyer and isn't in a position to spend millions on a large undertaking like that on something that may never sell enough copies to break even let alone turn a profit. If Apple or WB purchase MGM it's mostly to get more content for their streaming services, not to spend money restoring a 15 year old show that many people have never heard of.

We are all entitled to our opinion but if some are so convinced this release is trash why not say that and move on? A handful of members seem to feel the need to post a negative response to any positive post or question about this release.
It goes both way. The fact is when people are happy about something they post, when they are frustrated they post. In general, frustration typically wins the battle of posting. I'm not calling anyone out for being happy about the release, but I have as must right to voice frustration. If it bothers you, just ignore it.

I wasn't expecting anything dramatic, but if what has been posted of HD streams is what MGM provided to VEI, then I wish they would have just released that then further tinkering with it. The frustration is not directly at what was unlikely from the get go, but what was within our grasps and didn't get.

Last edited by smithb; 12-25-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #414
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I worry too that if MGM is sold, the blu-ray will quickly go out of print...
I don't believe the sale of MGM will have anything to do with it. VEI licensed the property for a period of time. They will continue to sell it as long as it is profitable during that time, regardless of an MGM sale.
Thanks given by:
Ketchrust (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #415
Expert Member

May 2009

Over on reddit, one user is reporting two issues with their BD copy and is asking if others can confirm:

1. The episode "Learning Curve" supposedly looks "horrible". Very grainy and noisy, is how it's described.

2. The episode "Window of Opportunity" is missing the 5.1 audio, instead it has an additional stereo track in its place.
Thanks given by:
Ketchrust (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #416

Dec 2020

People outside the US can import goods from US companies who refuse to export through a firm called MyUS.com that provides its customers with an address in Florida.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #417

Dec 2020

With MyUS.com: (1) you register with them; (2) they supply you with an address in Florida that you use when buying from Amazon or whoever; (3) they let you know when your shipment has arrived in Florida, and ask you for an email of your purchase invoice for customs; (4) they send your shipment on to you, charging a fee to the credit card whose details you gave them on registering.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #418

May 2008
-
-
-
-
-
-

That's really unfortunate to read about the extent of the DNR. Would Seasons 8-10 potentially look better on iTunes or streaming?

One thing to think about more broadly is how series from roughly the 1990's will increasingly be left behind, trapped in standard definition. Like, I've seen bits and pieces of Buffy, Babylon 5, and Farscape over the years, and would like to check each series out. But, with no nostalgic connection to these series from when they originally aired, they'll always be lingering at the bottom of my would-be-nice-to-see list thanks to being in SD, especially now that I've upgraded from having a 46" to a 65" TV and there's a deluge of new content to check out. It's for this reason that I still think DS9 and VGR will eventually be remastered, provided Star Trek remains a healthy franchise and is valuable for streaming content (especially with the CBS All Access series reportedly having $10 million per episode budgets).

SG-1 is lucky in that it was at least filmed in 16:9 and isn't otherwise dated save for computers and cell phones (which hits pretty much anything pre-2010). It doesn't have to be a complete remaster, but SG-1 needs at least some bare minimum TLC to keep it as an evergreen show and not just a nostalgic one.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #419
Special Member

Apr 2010

The fact that’s shows aren’t native HD isn’t a reason not to watch them IMO
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 01:32 AM   #420

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Pig View Post
Over on reddit, one user is reporting two issues with their BD copy and is asking if others can confirm:

1. The episode "Learning Curve" supposedly looks "horrible". Very grainy and noisy, is how it's described.

2. The episode "Window of Opportunity" is missing the 5.1 audio, instead it has an additional stereo track in its place.
1. Learning Curve is looking pretty normal compared to other BD episodes that I've looked at so far in the first few seasons. Nothing that sticks out as I skim through it.

2. For Window of Opportunity I see three stereo tracks with one of them being the commentary track. No 5.1 listed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America