Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
13 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
22 hrs ago
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.32
4 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
4 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

May 2008
Default Your home theatre system - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE

I'll begin with mine:

PAST:
1- The first I got was actually the Creative FPS1000 (FourPointSurround) with a SB Live! Platinum soundcard. Watching my very first DVDs on a Philips 109s 19" monitor.
2- Upgraded speakers to Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 (DesktopTheater) using a Creative Audigy card still using the same 19" monitor.
3- Then got a Sony 40" LCD (before Bravia models) and moved the DTT2500 to the living room. DVD player used was Pioneer model (can't remember which, maybe 335 or 355).
4- Finally got a Samsung LA40R81 (LN-T4053H in US) 40" LCD and a Sony DAV-DZ750K 5.1 system.

PRESENT:
Hated the Sony system and replaced it with a Samsung DVD-HD870 dvd player, an Onkyo TX-SR505E, and the Jamo A102HCS5 speaker system. Huge improvement over the Sony. Also got a 40GB PS3.

Future:
Onkyo TX-SR605 or 606. Still not decided on speakers; but probably something with more mid-mass. And a 50" FULL HD plasma .
Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #2

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

FIRST Let's see.... I got a Sony Wega flat panel CRT, and hooked up my Cambridge Soundworks Henry Kloss Signature series 5.1 (that I had previously) I got my first DVD player in 1997, and this became "the system"

THEN, I made a huge mistake in 2000 or so, and gave away the Cambridge Soundworks speakers, and purchased Cerwin Vega RE Series (12" mains, center, Bookshelf Surrounds, and a 15" subwoofer) Terrible mistake... they sounded terrible. I wasn't able to justify spending much money, and over the years I had Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, and Pioneer recievers......

NOW: First, we were given a 37" 720p Sharp Aquos, and Since this past November (after our son was born) I decided it was time to upgrade the speakers/components.

So... I kept my most recent upgrade, which was a Marantz SR7001 AVR that I had purchased previously. I also have a 400 disc SACD player, An HD DVD Player, and some other "stuff" , which includes my new ProntoPRO TSU6000 remote, that I have a terrible time using!!!!

I purchased The B&W 705s, HTM7, and 686s for surrounds.

I then upgraded the sub to a Def Tech 14" Reference series.

A month later I decided I wanted to upgrade the fronts, and for whatever reason I decided I needed surrounds too, so I go B&W 703s for the fronts, moved the 705s to the rears, and placed two B&W DS6s for surrounds.

I now have an "extra" pair of 686s.

I purchased a second PS3 for the bedroom, so it was only a matter of time, and a couple weeks ago, I purchased a Marantz SR5001, and 5 B&W M-1s for the bedroom.

I still have the full set of Cerwin Vegas in the basement, and I will probably give them away before I move to my new house (in the next couple of weeks I'm guessing) Just because I haven't done anything with them other than set them up, and tested them out in the basement, since the upgrade.

EDIT...

forgot about....

FUTURE: I plan on buying separates, no specific details, I just want separates. I'm also shopping around Projectors right now. Those are the current "future" plans.

Last edited by Beta Man; 05-20-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

Apr 2008

hello in the past i have a

rca home theater 5.1 from radio shack

then buy a yamaha 6.1 receiver

then a a coustimas 10 5.1

and this year i buy a onkyo 605
7.1 and i love it
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #4

May 2008

Great setup Mega Man. I'm thinking about the Focal Chorus 716v for fronts. Do you know how they compare to your 705s?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
Second left after Wal-Mart

I guess this is my first. I had a 5.1 in the apartment that I couldn't use due to volume issues but that was SDVD and a 36" tube. I guess I could be doing worse for a first time but my "want list" is far greater than my "got list".

The future is a projector, receiver and speaker upgrade, hopefully to Focal, Paradigm, or B&W. Might have to take a side job to make this happen.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #6

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmod View Post
Great setup Mega Man. I'm thinking about the Focal Chorus 716v for fronts. Do you know how they compare to your 705s?
I must admit that I have never auditioned those! I haven't come accross a dealer that has had them in-stock. I hear they are very nice quality-wise though.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
Second left after Wal-Mart

They sound great and look very nice. Their subs are divine! Made the hair on my arm stand up and stay there.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Mar 2008

FIRST: 32" Toshiba CRT Flat screen HDTV (DVI best input), Panasonic HTIB 5.1 5 disc DVD. ( at the time.) Finished my basement and purchased a 52 DLP Mitsubishi 720p and hooked up a Sony HTIB dream system. (getting er ).

PRESENT: Sony A3000 60" SXRD, Denon 3808CI, 7.1 Definitive Pro monitor 1000 series, Pro Sub 1000. Sony BDP-S300, PS3 40 GB, XBOX 360.

FUTURE: Dedicated home theater. Projection onto a 200-300 inch screen. Definitive Mythos towers (whatever is new at the time, I hope they keep up the quality ). Home Theater seating. This upgrade is too far away to get into many particulars. Still paying for my current setup
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

Jan 2008

200"-300" screen..... man... I would rather have a 100" screen with better resolution... unless your future plans include a projector that costs $50K !
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

I use to have a 32" SDTV (flat front) by Sony and a Yamaha surround-sound kit in a box for 5.1 surround sound. It was not bad for the price, but it was still entry level.
I have since upgraded to a Sony Bravia 46" HDTV, with a new Yamaha receiver, and a mix of Yamaha and JBL speakers.
I plan on keeping this screen for the foreseeable future (maybe someday I will upgrade when something better is out), but I do plan to buy new Polk Audio speakers and get rid of the Yamaha ones. I think the JBL ones are fine, but I am willing to upgrade them too someday, but not anytime soon.
I also plan to take the old Yamaha receiver and hook it up to my iMac and add 5.1 to it so I can mix things in 5.1 right on my computer. But I will only do this after I switch out enough of the speakers to do it. (Might just remove the presence/ambient speakers altogether since I don't really use them).
Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #11

Apr 2008
Donegal, Ireland

First:
Going back to 2001/2002 i got my sony dvd player, with a 32'' Widescreen philips tv which i thought was great at the time lol! and a Sony HT-BE1 surround sound that i used until just a few months ago..great system.

Present:

Well got rid of the philips tv and dvd player, got myself a 42'' LG LCD HDTV, Sony BDP S300 blu-ray player, and Sony DAV-IS10 Surround sound.

Future:

Me wants a bigger tv! but happy enough for this sound system to last me another 4-5 years.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2007

Oh boy, where to start.

I will just list from oldest to newest, to the best I can remember anyway.

Toshiba Cinema series 27" CRT
Toshiba Cinema series hi-fi VCR
Mits dolby surround receiver (not even pro-logic )
Cerwin Vega towers
2 seperate sets of A/D/S bookshelf speakers
Yamaha center channel
Pioneer LD player
Yamaha 5.1 dolby digital receiver RXV-something (no DTS )
Gen 1 Sony DVD player (no DTS out )
Gen 2 Sony carousel DVD player
Monster 3500 conditioner
Def Tech BP10s
Def tech BP20s
Def Tech CLR1000
Def Tech BP2s
Def Tech BP2x
Denon AVR 5800
Pioneer Elite PRO 510
Mirage sub. (forget model, had 2, 10" drivers)
Sony DVPS9000ES
Paradigm Servo 15
Samsung 56" DLP (bedroom )
VSA VR3.5s
VSA VR4 genIII HSEs
VSA LCR50 (custom made )
VSA VR1s
Integra Research RDA7.1
Deciding now between Integra 9.8 (currently using) and a couple other processors when they become available.
Stewart 92" firehawk
PS3
Sammy 1500 (upgrading to new pio when released 05FD)
RPG accoustic panels

Havent purchased=chairs + final projector (debating RSA2 and 1080ub projectors)

I probably forgot a few things. *shrug*
Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #13

Jan 2008

^---- Wow
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
^---- Wow
Dude, I was the cat's pajamas with my Mitsubishi dolby surround system (4.0) watching "The Rescuers Down Under" on my hi-fi VCR, on my 27" CRT with my Cerwin Vega towers shaking the walls.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Wow, this is an interesting topic. Here it goes:

Background

When I was in high school, I became friends with a guy who was an audiophile grade stereo dealer. When he worked in a retail shop he carried some great lines such as Bowers & Wilkins, XLO Electric, McIntosh, Carver, and Bryston. Before I met him, however, he had a horrible moped accident and lost his eyesight. After his recovery, he moved to Portland and worked as a dealer from his house. He was always auditioning new gear, so I would periodically help him carry and set up gear. Working with David is where I got to appreciate really fine audio gear. One day I helped him set up some beautiful rosewood B&W speakers that looked like works of art. This was back around '87, maybe '88, so I don't remember what model they were. He hooked them up to a tube amp that I thought would be severly underpowered with just 10 watts per channel. Once set up, he put on Kansas' "Dust in the wind," and it sent shivers down my spine. That was a defining moment for me, and it truly showed me how music was supposed to sound and feel. After that, he let me borrow gear for prolonged periods of time. I remember being particularly happy with a Kyocera CD player powered directly by a Yamaha 240 watt per channel amp through A/D/S tower speakers. It was fantastic! Unfortunately though, I eventually had to give it back.

Stage 1

When I first got out of college and started working in '94, I scraped together $299 to buy a cheap-ass Magnavox home-theater-in-a-box. Heck, I don't think they were even called HTIB back then, but I just may not have heard the term. The receiver was about 3/4 the size of a traditional entry level receiver, and it contained Dolby Pro Logic II, I think. It included small bookshelf 2-way front speakers with paper cones and black foam - not cloth - speaker covers. The rear speakers were just a little bigger than Bose cubes and probably didn't even perform as well. I hooked this to my JVC VCR, and Emerson 20" TV, and I was stoked.

Stage 2

Next up was a modest upgrade. I bought my first house and figured it was time to get a bigger TV. Since it was my first house though, I couldn't go much bigger since in reality, the house was smaller than my apartment. By the way, do any of you remember 800.com, which was a big online electronics retailer that went out in the dot com bust? 800.com was based in Portland, where I live, and they had a small outlet store at the warehouse. They didn't advertise it, and warehouse employees basically took turns manning the desk. Anyway, I bought a Toshiba 27" TV, Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player, and a Philips CDR-760 CD recorder from them. The CD recorder retailed for $499, but I picked it up brand new and sealed for $324 at the outlet store.

I eventually added a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver to the mix with DD EX 6.1 and DTS-ES 6.1. My speakers were Optimus Pro LX-5 Dipoles with Lineaum tweeters and a Pro CS-5 center channel with a Lineaum monopole tweeter. Those speakers still sound great for the price. Oh, and my subwoofer was a Yamaha YST-SW80, which is small but fit well in my tiny as living room.

NOW

I have a house I had built a couple of years ago, and it has a decent sized home theater / game room to play around with. While working with the home theater builder I had them design it as a 6.1 channel system. I installed Aura speakers all around, because I love the great soundstaging and smooth mids and highs that ribbon speakers provide. Linaeum, which was a local speaker company in town was known for their work on dipole and monopole ribbon tweeters. They were used in Lineaum's high end speakers, as well as mass produced Optimus speakers for Radio Shack. Aura bought Linaeum a few years ago, and my Aura speakers are re-branded Linaeum models. Anyway, I have LST-626M towers up front, connected with XLO Electric Reference 5.0 speaker cables. Those are matched up front with an Aura LSC-525M center channel. I have another LSC-525M handling back surround duty, with LSB-525M bookshelf speakers handling left and right surround channels. Since the room is 32' by 17' the Yamaha sub wasn't going to cut it. I replaced the Yamaha with a M&K V-125 12" sealed subwoofer. That sub is absolutely fantastic and one of the best upgrades I've ever made. The 27" TV was replaced with my Sony SXRD 50-A2000, and my PS3 handles Blu-rays and games. I also have a Yamaha DVD-S2500, which handles upscaled DVDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, and CDs. I'm running all that through my Yamaha HTR-5990, which sounds fantastic, but unfortunately it doesn't have HDMI...

FUTURE

I'm pretty happy with the system, but there are some things I'd certainly like to do. I do have a set of super tweeters that I am planning on installing all the way around, but I need to get some line levelers to integrate them properly with my speakers. I also am planning on upgrading my Yamaha receiver to the HTR-6180 (RX-V863). Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a great set of B&W speakers all the way around with a new Velodyne DD-18 subwoofer. I'd also like to possibly find a way to integrate a front projector into the room, but it might be difficult since it's combined with a game room.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #16

Jan 2008

what kind of "games" are we talking about here? I have three Foosball tables.... A Tornado for normal playing etc... and I also have a Garlando, and Rene Pierre for "Collecting purposes" although I play a game or two on them occassionally. I want to add a Bonzini table to the mix one of these days.....

I'm playing Foosball competitively (mostly for fun, but a little cash ) on a weekly basis.

EDIT.... Taking this to Off-Topic! sorry
Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
Banned

Apr 2007

My setup now is my first (past) setup, as well as my present.

Future, I would like to add an audio system (probably later this year).

Far-future: 40+ inch OLED
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
I remember being particularly happy with a Kyocera CD player powered directly by a Yamaha 240 watt per channel amp through A/D/S tower speakers. It was fantastic! Unfortunately though, I eventually had to give it back.

Stage 1

I get all nostalgic when someone brings up A/D/S speakers.

A simpler time........................a simpler time.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #19

May 2008
Default Post Pics Of Your Systems

It would be great if any of you can also post pictures of their systems. I'd be pretty cool comparing pics of older systems to newer ones.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #20

Aug 2007
Parker, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
200"-300" screen..... man... I would rather have a 100" screen with better resolution... unless your future plans include a projector that costs $50K !
I'm not even sure I have a wall in my house that big...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion