Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
4 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
4 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
23 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46
22 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #1781

Sep 2011
Middle of Canada

right now I currently own a Pioneer PDP-503 CMX 50" that was given to my girlfriend and I, by my girlfriend's sister's fiance (you still following )

I was just wondering if anybody has/had this tv and what was the best settings they found for it (Contrast, color, etc)? Also, right now I'm using a component cable to hook everything up from the receiver, but does anybody know if HDMI is possible? I know it is an older tv, but I thought I would ask

thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #1782
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cto15 View Post
right now I currently own a Pioneer PDP-503 CMX 50" that was given to my girlfriend and I, by my girlfriend's sister's fiance (you still following )

I was just wondering if anybody has/had this tv and what was the best settings they found for it (Contrast, color, etc)? Also, right now I'm using a component cable to hook everything up from the receiver, but does anybody know if HDMI is possible? I know it is an older tv, but I thought I would ask

thanks in advance
It's best to have a professional certified ISF calibrator calibrate your tv, just fiddling around with the settings won't get what you want out of it...a professional brings in pretty expensive equipment like light sensors etc to set it, that's if you want the best PQ out of your tv.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #1783
Special Member

Aug 2008

I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #1784

Nov 2009
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Of course. I haven't used my bottom speaker w/ the 5020...ever.

Just wanted to hear someone else say it, and who better than a 5020 and 101 owner?

Thanks!
Thankfully I do own both displays

no problem, glad I could help . sorry about the incredibly late response I took a break from the internet for a little or maybe I just didn't have time to hope on till now lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #1785

Nov 2009
MD

Sonny I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe. I'm sorry about your tv that really sucks. Maybe this can be an excuse for you to buy a 70" Elite now
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #1786
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?
Well, you have everything right. You can use any HDMI connection as long as your Kuro uses it as the default. Everything else will go through the receiver.

Your receiver doesn't need to be on unless the TV is on. Your speakers will provide TV sound, just like anything else connected to the receiver.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #1787

Jul 2010
Finland

I had a terrible accident a week ago, a friend of mine bumped into my right main speaker which fell to my 9G Kuro. Of course the panel cracked which means it's dead.

Luckily I have an insurance which will cover either the repair of the Kuro or a new 'similar/matching' tv which ever is cheaper. As we know Pioneer no longer makes tv's (not counting the new Sharp Elites which are not available in Europe) so I'm guessing they'd offer me a VT30 Pana. This is just my guess since I haven't heard from them yet. I'd probably have to pay something for the repair myself since it's estimated 2200€ and the new Pana is around 2100€.

My guestion is, what do you think I should do?

Repair the Kuro i.e. I'd basicly have a new 9G Kuro. Or dive into this progress and get the best Panasonic with all the 3D etc stuff that I might never use.

Last edited by Cochlea; 09-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #1788
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochlea View Post
I had a terrible accident a week ago, a friend of mine bumped into my right main speaker which fell to my 9G Kuro. Of course the panel cracked which means it's dead.

Luckily I have an insurance which will cover either the repair of the Kuro or a new 'similar/matching' tv which ever is cheaper. As we know Pioneer no longer makes tv's (not counting the new Sharp Elites which are not available in Europe) so I'm guessing they'd offer me a VT30 Pana. This is just my guess since I haven't heard from them yet. I'd probably have to pay something for the repair myself since it's estimated 2200 and the new Pana is around 2100.

My guestion is, what do you think I should do?
First, find out what material thing your friend values most in this world, and destroy it.

Then see if you can get the Panasonic, of course the same size as your Kuro.

Quote:
Repair the Kuro i.e. I'd basicly have a new 9G Kuro. Or dive into this progress and get the best Panasonic with all the 3D etc stuff that I might never use.
I don't know if there are still spare parts to repair a panel. You can try, but it might take a long time.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #1789

Jul 2010
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I don't know if there are still spare parts to repair a panel. You can try, but it might take a long time.
Apparently there are spare parts since I got that price quote from official pioneer repair shop...

I'd just like to hear your thoughts (biased of course) about whether repairing a 2 year old Kuro is really a sane thing to do vs. getting a brand new Pana since I'm starting to lean on the first option. As much as we love Kuros, is it time to let go?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #1790
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Apparently there are spare parts since I got that price quote from official pioneer repair shop...

I'd just like to hear your thoughts (biased of course) about whether repairing a 2 year old Kuro is really a sane thing to do vs. getting a brand new Pana since I'm starting to lean on the first option. As much as we love Kuros, is it time to let go?
I don't think so. If the damage is really not extensive (I know the panel is gone, but if it's a small number of parts) then have it repaired.

Kuro is still the gold standard. There is a lot of hope for the new Sharp Elite, but is it really as good? And it's not in your area yet...

Astoundingly, I just have not heard of anyone being disappointed, in any way, with the Kuro. Some have more than one! If you're sure you can get a quality repair, perhaps it's worth it...I would do it.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #1791
Special Member

Mar 2010

Cochlea, check out the Runco plasma tv's, the new ones are suppose to be better than the Pioneer's but they are very expensive.

http://www.runco.com/
Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #1792

Jul 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post
Cochlea, check out the Runco plasma tv's, the new ones are suppose to be better than the Pioneer's but they are very expensive.

http://www.runco.com/
Expensive is a relative term. An older Kuro does still destroy any new Panasonic any day of the week. But the new Vistage panels from Runco are screaming good.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #1793

Jul 2010
Finland

Thanks for your input and reminding me of what an exceptional piece of equipment Kuro is

The insurance company contacted me today and they agreed to pay for the repair. So I guess the debate is over and I'll just have to wait until I get my Kuro back
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #1794
Expert Member

Aug 2010
Wichita, KS

Quote:
Thanks for your input and reminding me of what an exceptional piece of equipment Kuro is

The insurance company contacted me today and they agreed to pay for the repair. So I guess the debate is over and I'll just have to wait until I get my Kuro back
Phewwww, I know it was an accident on your friends part.. but I can't tell you how pissed off I would be at him!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #1795

Jul 2010
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse View Post
Phewwww, I know it was an accident on your friends part.. but I can't tell you how pissed off I would be at him!
I know what you mean! Luckily we didn't notice the cracking while she was at my place, so I had time to blow off some steam before talking to her. All in all the Kuro is now fixed, the insurance paid most of the costs and my friend was kind enough to pay the rest.

So basically I got brand new panel for free
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #1796
Expert Member

Aug 2010
Wichita, KS

Quote:
I know what you mean! Luckily we didn't notice the cracking while she was at my place, so I had time to blow off some steam before talking to her. All in all the Kuro is now fixed, the insurance paid most of the costs and my friend was kind enough to pay the rest.

Good deal. I really like your theater room by the way. Looks nice and cozy.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #1797

Dec 2010

Quote:

Great end to a horrific story OT how you are you liking your JL sub comopare to the svs? Great set up btw...

DJoel
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #1798

Jul 2010
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse View Post
Good deal. I really like your theater room by the way. Looks nice and cozy.
Thanks for your kind words
Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #1799

Jul 2010
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Great end to a horrific story OT how you are you liking your JL sub comopare to the svs? Great set up btw...

DJoel
Thanks! Actually I had a Velodyne sub, never owned a SVS sub. I like the Fathom a lot, much more musical than the Velo. On the paper it shouldn't go as low as the Velo, but I haven't noticed any difference. In my room which isn't that big, the output is all I need, you can definately feel it as much as hear. I might say it doesn't draw as much attention to itself i.e. it integrates better to the system. I highly recommend it!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #1800
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Thanks! Actually I had a Velodyne sub, never owned a SVS sub. I like the Fathom a lot, much more musical than the Velo. On the paper it shouldn't go as low as the Velo, but I haven't noticed any difference. In my room which isn't that big, the output is all I need, you can definately feel it as much as hear. I might say it doesn't draw as much attention to itself i.e. it integrates better to the system. I highly recommend it!
I have to agree. I have the F113, and it has incredible, clean volume - doesn't do much after about 22hz, but it's so clean in the sound, it doesn't matter. Perfect for home theater AND music, it's a beast.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs