Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Five Nights at Freddy's: Core Collection (Switch)
$26.11

LEGO City Undercover (Switch)
$19.99
1 hr ago
The LEGO NINJAGO Movie Videogame (Switch)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Plants Vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (Switch)
$19.99

Battle Axe (Switch)
$34.00

Cris Tales (Switch)
$28.80

Gear Club Unlimited 2 - Tracks Edition (Switch)
$18.99

Little Dragons Cafe (Switch)
$31.65

Planescape Torment & Icewind Dale (Switch)
$27.99

Street Power Soccer (Switch)
$13.99
14 hrs ago
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (Switch)
$34.88

Hotline Miami Collection (Switch)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 10-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #61

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness2918 View Post
About 2 hrs in & have really been enjoying it. So far it’s my favorite Metroid game from the ones that I’ve played (NES, Super, Prime 1-3, Returns).
I‘m also around the 2-3 hour mark, it’s the very first Metroid I‘d ever played. It’s very cool, stylish and enjoyable - but also quite a bit harder than I expected. And I would have loved, if they included an easier way to backtrack (like an option to beam from one save point to another) and some kind of hint feature, in cases when you just don’t know where to go next. I already was stuck two times and had to watch a Let’s play to know where to continue next. But besides those two points the game is very fun to play!
Old 10-12-2021, 01:33 AM   #62

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
IĎm also around the 2-3 hour mark, itís the very first Metroid IĎd ever played. Itís very cool, stylish and enjoyable - but also quite a bit harder than I expected.
Past Metroid games have never been this difficult. Enemy hits seldom took a quarter of a health tank away, let alone the whole thing. They were always geared towards having Samus learn the fight while the fight was happening, not killing you every 15 seconds and have you repeat the fight 10-20 times (More is certainly possible).

It's definitely one of my biggest grievances with the game so far. I've always been a Metroid fan back when I was 11, but this game can get awfully frustrating. There's seldom a moment where you're allowed to take in the fight and figure out what to do. When you fought bosses in the previous games, it was never "5 hits your dead" kind of thing. You always had enough health to figure out a strategy in the same fight.

Definitely give 'Super Metroid' a spin if you've enjoyed Dread. It's one of my all time favorite games and it's still ranked as one of the best of the series. It set the stage for speed runners!
Thanks given by:
mep (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #63

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeyl View Post
Past Metroid games have never been this difficult. Enemy hits seldom took a quarter of a health tank away, let alone the whole thing. They were always geared towards having Samus learn the fight while the fight was happening, not killing you every 15 seconds and have you repeat the fight 10-20 times
So far at least nothing was impossible, but some tasks really were quite hard. But it’s not random and you mostly get quite fast an idea what you have to do, but sometimes it’s quite tricky to execute. It’s a bit jawing, that I‘m only after the second boss and the fourth EMMI and already struggled quite a bit. The controls with the combination of L/R triggers and corresponding buttons can really be tricky and also often you need to be really accurate. Hopefully there doesn’t appear a point in the later game, where it will be just to difficult to handle. But so far so good…
Old 10-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #64

Dec 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Have one Special Edition + amiibo bundle, if anyone missed out. Primarily looking for a trade. PM if interested.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-14-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #65
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

I'm taking my sweet time, back tracking to every area once I get a new power up to see if I can grab the random items (I've even got two of one type of weapon increase I can't use yet because I haven't got the main upgrade yet.)

This is how I played Super Metroid when I first got it when I was 15, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Even the bosses that take a few times to get their attack patterns down is totally fine by me. It's challenging but not anything close to discouraging, IMO.

For an idea of where I'm at,
[Show spoiler]I finished the Raven battle after talking to the friendly one.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #66

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
For an idea of where I'm at
So far that point was the toughest part for me; it would be nice if there was an option to see the remaining lifebar of your enemy. Because of the area and the surprise it took me more tries than any of the bossfights or EMMIs before.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Send a message via AIM to QuasidodoJr

I am not clicking with this game. I would prefer being able to control myself with the d-pad, and Iím not a fan of the constant E.M.M.I. chases. For this reason, I will probably just use a walkthrough guide, finish the game and then sell it.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #68
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Washington D.C. Metro

For those that are playing it is it worth $60? Really want to play it but Iím not sure itís worth paying full price for a game that doesnít compare to other newer games on a technical level like RE 3 or even RE2 which came out years ago. I get the switch doesnít have anywhere near the capabilities of a Series X or newer PC but I feel like theyíre pricing their games as if it did.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
For those that are playing it is it worth $60? Really want to play it but I’m not sure it’s worth paying full price for a game that doesn’t compare to other newer games on a technical level like RE 3 or even RE2 which came out years ago. I get the switch doesn’t have anywhere near the capabilities of a Series X or newer PC but I feel like they’re pricing their games as if it did.
I have the funds in my Nintendo Account, but a part of me is saying to wait until Black Friday. Either it will be on sale, or a couple other games I've been meaning to grab will be lol
Old 10-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #70

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
For those that are playing it is it worth $60? Really want to play it but Iím not sure itís worth paying full price for a game that doesnít compare to other newer games on a technical level like RE 3 or even RE2 which came out years ago. I get the switch doesnít have anywhere near the capabilities of a Series X or newer PC but I feel like theyíre pricing their games as if it did.
To me personally most of the Nintendo First Party titles are absolutely worth full price and I buy most of them on release day. They maybe cannot compare with current AAA Titles regarding solution and maybe visuals, but the gameplay is always so polished, unique and entertaining. Metroid Dread so far is just amazing, looks and plays phenomenal. Also Metroid needs the support. If this game doesnít sell decently, I donít think Nintendo will ever release another 2D Metroid againÖ
Old 10-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #71

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
I have the funds in my Nintendo Account, but a part of me is saying to wait until Black Friday. Either it will be on sale, or a couple other games I've been meaning to grab will be lol
Nintendo will never discount this title so soon; maybe Black Friday next yearÖ
Old 10-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #72
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Quote:
Nintendo will never discount this title so soon; maybe Black Friday next yearÖ
Yeah, maybe not Nintendo, but I can see it being $35-40 at Best Buy/Walmart/Target...which is why I'm holding on to my Nintendo money lol
Thanks given by:
mep (10-14-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:22 AM   #73
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

This sounds really hard. I was considering maybe getting this as my first Metroid game but I don't want to be frustrated the whole time, like I was in Donkey King Country Tropical freeze after the first several areas (my first Donkey Kong Country game). I'm not very good at these things. Maybe if they add an easy mode or something.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #74
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-

Finished up Final Fantasy 15 yesterday so Iíll be jumping over to this this afternoon. The difficulty is a bit concerning as Iíve never been that great at these types of games honestly, hopefully its not frustrating.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Washington D.C. Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Quote:
To me personally most of the Nintendo First Party titles are absolutely worth full price and I buy most of them on release day. They maybe cannot compare with current AAA Titles regarding solution and maybe visuals, but the gameplay is always so polished, unique and entertaining. Metroid Dread so far is just amazing, looks and plays phenomenal. Also Metroid needs the support. If this game doesnít sell decently, I donít think Nintendo will ever release another 2D Metroid againÖ
Iím still tornÖ lol.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #76
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Quote:
Iím still tornÖ lol.
I wish I saved up some Walmart credit...$50 at launch isn't too bad
Old 10-15-2021, 11:01 PM   #77

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Iím still tornÖ lol.
Buy Metroid Dread instead of the new awful new online tier; Dread is worth the support and the new online service tier needs people to unsubscribe to the service completely. If Nintendo gets away with this move, it would be insaneÖ
Thanks given by:
heyadol (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #78

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
This sounds really hard. I was considering maybe getting this as my first Metroid game but I don't want to be frustrated the whole time, like I was in Donkey King Country Tropical freeze after the first several areas (my first Donkey Kong Country game). I'm not very good at these things. Maybe if they add an easy mode or something.
If Tropical Freeze was frustrating to you, Dread will be a tough sell. Itís way harder than that. I completed Tropical Freeze 100% and only the Bonus Stages were hard in the way Dread is. But so far nothing is impossible in Dread. But you really must take attention to the patterns of your enemies and play very thoughtful and as precise as possible. Itís a bit unfortunate, because the gameplay is so much fun and the game is really amazing, but itís strange, that Nintendo wouldnít offer other playing options. I mean, they added Funky Kong to Tropical Freeze and guidance modes for way more accessible games like Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshis Crafted World or others. Kind of a strange move. I donít see, why other playing options wouldnít always be preferable. Dread would make me personal not less fun, if it wasnít that difficult as it is. And I havenít finished it yet and am not completely sure, if I can finish the game. There were several moments already, were I was kind of on the fence, if I could continue. Strangely not so much because of the boss fights; so far these are kind of easy to understand, you just have to analyze the different phases and play decently. But there are other tasks, were you donít have those clear indications. Those were the hardest part so far for me. And I had two occasions, where I just didnít get were to continue and had to watch a Letís Play to help out. God bless YouTube for that. In the 90s I sure would have been lost and not able to complete such a game on my own, sadly.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:36 PM   #79
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
But there are other tasks, were you donít have those clear indications. Those were the hardest part so far for me. And I had two occasions, where I just didnít get were to continue and had to watch a Letís Play to help out. God bless YouTube for that.
I got stuck in one area and it took me 20-25 minutes to figure out where to go next, and I loved every second of it. First time playing Super Metroid 27 years ago was the same thing. It's part of what I love about Metroid games - you gotta try things out and study the map for where to possibly chip away at next. The trial and error is a key part of the fun, at least to me. I don't consider this "hard" gameplay, but rather "thorough" gameplay.
Thanks given by:
mep (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #80

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
I got stuck in one area and it took me 20-25 minutes to figure out where to go next, and I loved every second of it. First time playing Super Metroid 27 years ago was the same thing. It's part of what I love about Metroid games - you gotta try things out and study the map for where to possibly chip away at next. The trial and error is a key part of the fun, at least to me. I don't consider this "hard" gameplay, but rather "thorough" gameplay.
For me some of this stuff is just too random; I don’t like, if you just don’t have a clue where to go. For me those 25 minutes would be dreadful. When even Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart has a Feature to show you the next main target to go and Super Mario Odyssey shows you in the Assistmode exactly which path to chose, it’s just not modern and convenient enough for me anymore. There were two points for me, where I never had guessed where I had actually to go next and I personally think that shouldn’t be the case in any game anymore in 2021.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch