Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Psycho (iTunes)
$4.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

Bad Times at the El Royale (iTunes)
$4.99

The Grand Budapest Hotel (iTunes)
$4.99

Jurassic 5-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$24.99

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (iTunes)
$4.99

Unbreakable (iTunes)
$4.99

Ad Astra (iTunes)
$4.99

Hotel Transylvania 3-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$17.99

Toy Story 1-4 Collection Bundle (iTunes)
$49.99

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (iTunes)
$9.99

Alien 6-Film Collection (iTunes)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 10-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gonzo- View Post
Mind you though 4 years later there’s absolutely zero reference to free upgrades to 4K anywhere on Apple.com,ATV app or the iTunes Store.
These days most only know about it due to word of mouth on forums.
They are pretty low-key about it, but it is mentioned here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

"If you previously bought an HD movie from the Apple TV app, you might have access to the 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos enhancements on a compatible device. If your purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later."
Thanks given by:
-Gonzo- (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 02:13 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
To be be honest, for the most part, I've pretty much lost track of what titles I've purchased directly in iTunes and redeemed codes for in iTunes vs what is coming in through MA so I view ANY [4K] upgrade as a bonus.
Tip: you can see in the MA transaction history where you originally obtained a movie. You can also copy/paste it into a spreadsheet program for easier access.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:24 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Tip: you can see in the MA transaction history where you originally obtained a movie. You can also copy/paste it into a spreadsheet program for easier access.
Yeah ...for most people yes, but not in my case.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #44
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:

"If you previously bought an HD movie from the Apple TV app, you might have access to the 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos enhancements on a compatible device. If your purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later."
I guess the key thing you can take from that is ‘you might has access to the 4K’, ‘it might be added later’
Old 10-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #45

Feb 2012

Quote:
I guess the key thing you can take from that is ‘you might has access to the 4K’, ‘it might be added later’
I take that as "we can't guarantee that a 4k version will become available but if it is you will get the upgrade if purchased through itunes".

It doesn't seem right that certain studios are skirting this by relisting the 4k version as a separate title. I would be almost certain that Apple has stipulated to the studios that as a part of selling through their storefront, that Apple's customers get a free upgrade. They're trying to get around this and it's up to Apple to stop them.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #46

Sep 2021

Quote:

Yeah, sadly this language is pretty weak, but still. It is mentioned. This with the video I shared at least supports the notion that Apple themselves planted this seed.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #47
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewrock8 View Post
I take that as "we can't guarantee that a 4k version will become available but if it is you will get the upgrade if purchased through itunes".

It doesn't seem right that certain studios are skirting this by relisting the 4k version as a separate title. I would be almost certain that Apple has stipulated to the studios that as a part of selling through their storefront, that Apple's customers get a free upgrade. They're trying to get around this and it's up to Apple to stop them.
Universal/Dreamworks were relisting in the UK long before 4K upgrades were even a thing, even Sony has relisted the odd one or two so it’s certainly not a recent thing that it happens.
I guess theses days one of the reasons we notice them more is due to not getting a 4K upgrade on some titles.
The issue with getting Apple to do anything is easier said than done as pretty much anytime you make contact you get the standard response that they’re just a storefront and say that pretty much the studios can do as they please with their content.
On a couple of occasions when I’ve contacted them they also linked me towards their Terms & Conditions saying that content can change at any time without notice.
The last time I contacted one of the studios about something they just said it’s Apples issue so contact them.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:57 AM   #48
Expert Member

Apr 2018

Now that the original A Clockwork Orange has upgraded, maybe people can chill out on the gloom and doom of “oh my God they’re trying to stop doing free upgrades!”

No, they’re not.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #49

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Now that the original A Clockwork Orange has upgraded, maybe people can chill out on the gloom and doom of “oh my God they’re trying to stop doing free upgrades!”

No, they’re not.
Of course they are trying to find a way to stop free upgrades.

They would make more money that way.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #50

Aug 2021

I have had a few movies in my library get relisted

When it happens I can no longer play the movie from it it’s information page on iTunes - only from my library.

Just few minutes ago I saw that Scream is listed in this weeks top movies and that it is a relist - I have an older Miramax Scream and the new one is listed under Dimension.

However both have the same extras and both share the same information page in TV app

Is it like this with all relisted movies?
Old 10-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #51
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMan85 View Post
I have had a few movies in my library get relisted

When it happens I can no longer play the movie from it it’s information page on iTunes - only from my library.

Just few minutes ago I saw that Scream is listed in this weeks top movies and that it is a relist - I have an older Miramax Scream and the new one is listed under Dimension.

However both have the same extras and both share the same information page in TV app

Is it like this with all relisted movies?
Ooh thanks for pointing that out as seems progress has been made with the ATV app as that is indeed new as previously if you’d use Siri or the search for a relisted movie it would take you to the current listing so would look like you didn’t own it.
But now it seems to be linking up with your library purchases too, under How to Watch it shows Purchased but also the option to buy the current listing.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post

No, they’re not.
Has it? Is that in the US? My UK purchase is still showing as HD.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #53
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematt View Post
Has it? Is that in the US? My UK purchase is still showing as HD.
Should be both US & UK.
Have you tried playing it?
ATV app shows it as being HD with Dolby Vision(it’s 4K just mislabelled), however the movies app is showing 4K Dolby Vision.

Last edited by -Gonzo-; 10-15-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #54

Aug 2021

Quote:
Ooh thanks for pointing that out as seems progress has been made with the ATV app as that is indeed new as previously if you’d use Siri or the search for a relisted movie it would take you to the current listing so would look like you didn’t own it.
But now it seems to be linking up with your library purchases too, under How to Watch it shows Purchased but also the option to buy the current listing.
I don’t remember what other movies I own that are relists so I couldn’t check if others are like too.

I’m pretty they TV app showed Scream as “buy” on the Info page until I started play on the one I own - now it shows as resume
Old 10-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #55
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
I don’t remember what other movies I own that are relists so I couldn’t check if others are like too.

I’m pretty they TV app showed Scream as “buy” on the Info page until I started play on the one I own - now it shows as resume
I’ve checked all mine and get the same result which is great.
US - The Crow
UK - Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence, Red, Red 2, The Mummy Trilogy, What We Do in the Shadows, Pulp Fiction, From Dusk Till Dawn, Transformers The Movie(wasn’t a relist as such, a redeem gave me an unrated separate listing)

Last edited by -Gonzo-; 10-15-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Wink

Quote:
Should be both US & UK.
Have you tried playing it?
ATV app shows it as being HD with Dolby Vision(it’s 4K just mislabelled), however the movies app is showing 4K Dolby Vision.
Excellent. It’s showing on my ATV as 4k DV but not yet either on my laptop or phone so I hadn’t noticed the upgrade yet. I’ll take the credit after emailing WB this week
Old 10-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #57

Aug 2021

So is this something that happened recently?

Quote:
I’ve checked all mine and get the same result which is great.
US - The Crow
UK - Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence, Red, Red 2, The Mummy Trilogy, What We Do in the Shadows, Pulp Fiction, From Dusk Till Dawn, Transformers The Movie(wasn’t a relist as such, a redeem gave me an unrated separate listing)
I have What We Do in the Shadows and it was also relisted in my store.

I actually have two - I sat down to watch it last Halloween and saw the buy button and thought I had made a mistake thinking I already owned it.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #58

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematt View Post
Excellent. It’s showing on my ATV as 4k DV but not yet either on my laptop or phone so I hadn’t noticed the upgrade yet. I’ll take the credit after emailing WB this week
It must be something Apple did because it is happening with multiple distributors.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #59
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
So is this something that happened recently?
It must’ve been part of the tvOS 15 update I guess, I’m round my parents at the moment so will have a look to see if the same happens on their LG ATV app.

Edit:
Yes it doesn’t indeed also work via the ATV app on the LG.
At the least that should now prevent people potentially buying the same movie twice.

A further Edit:
Just had a thought which I’ve just checked and where things do fall is if something isn’t available in the store at all anymore then you’ll have to go directly to the library for those ones.
I’ve got the Constantine tv series which is no longer available to buy in the UK and that doesn’t show up via search.

Last edited by -Gonzo-; 10-16-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Thanks given by:
FilmMan85 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
It must be something Apple did because it is happening with multiple distributors.
I meant about the original listing of ACO finally being upgraded.
Thanks given by:
FilmMan85 (10-16-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes