Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99
9 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
11 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 01-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #141
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Dam View Post
SPECIAL FEATURES
- Audio Commentary with Director Russell Mulcahy and Shayne Armstrong
- Audio Interview With Actor Gregory Harrison
- JAWS ON TROTTERS: Featuring interviews With Director Russell Mulcahy, Producer Hal McElroy, Razorback Creator Bob McCarron, Composer Iva Davies And Cast Judy Morris and Chris Haywood.
- Interviews with Cast and Crew by Mark Hartley From "Not Quite Hollywood"
- Grisly Deleted Scenes with option audio commentary
- RAZORBACK: THE VHS CUT
- A CERTAIN PIGGISH NATURE: Looking Back at Razorback
Just saw this thread/news. That's pretty awesome. I'll be buying this again for sure. I don't know what it is about this movie, but for some reason it's my favorite of all the Jaws ripoffs. The last blu-ray looked pretty damn good considering the 1080i, and I thought the features were great, but I welcome more!
Thanks given by:
Jerry_Dam (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #142
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016

Quote:
I own their previous edition and it's rated M for "moderate violence"...
I'm thinking this may end up with an MA.. the VHS cut was rated R back in 1984 but if half the Saw franchise can get away with MA then I'd say it's more likely to be that, a bit of fake-looking gore is hardly enough to garner an R these days.
Thanks given by:
Jerry_Dam (01-14-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #143
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Looks like it’s delayed again. Removed from JB and the Umbrella site, and not in the review disc guide for Feb. EzyDVD still lists it, but as unavailable.

The delay surely means they’re only making the disc better, so I’m not too disappointed.
Thanks given by:
simonsherry (01-16-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #144
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
I'm thinking this may end up with an MA.. the VHS cut was rated R back in 1984 but if half the Saw franchise can get away with MA then I'd say it's more likely to be that, a bit of fake-looking gore is hardly enough to garner an R these days.
It’s strange that the VHS classification on the OFLC as Rated M, as I also remember Razorback having an R-rating (has the original public exhibition “M” and the DVD “M”).

Alas, as I was intrigued to find out why no “R” rating, I invested some time in working this shit out.
So, I did some digging, and I found on Refused-Classification.com that the film never truly had an R-rating.

In 1985, as the OFLC website suggests, the film was passed with an M rating in it’s 92min Uncut form. It was just “advertised” as being R-rated, carrying the <R> classification (incorrectly), with a sticker on the case/slipcover stating “Uncut R-rated version not seen in cinemas”... Classic exploitation tactics employed there.

The cinema distributor simply thought the Uncut version would get an R-rating (and who knows, they might have), so they cut some footage, thus sanitising the film too much. Because when they put the cuts back in for the VHS, the OFLC turned around and said “Yep, all good. The gore doesn’t make it any worse”

Read the Refused-Classification.com full explanation below (in italics) & link

Please note: While the Theatrical was 94min and the VHS 92min, PAL’s conversion process means the film is spedup by approx. 4% meaning the 93:59 Theatre print becomes 90:39 when converted to 576i/50 DVD & 1080i/50.
If the Uncut Theatrical Print did exist, it would be 96 minutes in length.
———
Razorback: Directed by Russell Mulcahy / 1984 / Australia / IMDb

This film has never had problems with the Australian censors. It is included because the distributor chose to censor it to achieve a more commercial rating.

In March 1984, a 2578.42-meter (93:59) print of RAZORBACK was passed with an M-rating. It was awarded for violence, which was said to be:
Frequency: Frequent
Explicitness/Intensity: Medium
Purpose: Gratuitous

This print had been pre-cut prior to submission to tone down the violence. This was the version that would go on to be released worldwide.

Greater Union Film Distributors was the applicant.

When RAZORBACK was released on tape by Roadshow Home Video, the cover stated that it was R-rated, and a sticker promised that "Un-cut R-rated version not seen in cinemas".

We can find no record of the film ever being passed with an R-rating. However, Roadshow did have a 92-minute tape passed with an M-rating in October 1985. The violence was described as being the same level as the initial submission.

The fact that we cannot find any record of an R-rating may explain why the "Un-cut R-rated version not seen in cinemas" sticker was blacked out on many copies. Some replaced the content with one that stated "Rated alongside JAWS and PSYCHO by Variety".

DVD/1080i50 Blu-Ray release

In September 2006, it was passed again with an M-rating, this time with a consumer warning of 'Moderate horror violence'. The version that Umbrella Entertainment released on DVD was the censored (90:39 PAL) theatrical version. However, it did contain the uncut footage, taken from the Roadshow tape, as an extra titled 'Grisly Deleted Scenes'. Running 02:24, it extends the station wagon, waterhole, Dicko and pet pack attack death scenes.

At the time, this caused some complaints by those who had been used to viewing the full version on tape. This prompted Mark Hartley, the DVD's Producer, to explain the reasons at michaeldvd.

As discussed in the "Jaws on Trotters" documentary, this version is the theatrical release version. The gorier scenes were cut before the film was released and reinserted for the local Roadshow VHS release - they were never seen in the theatrical release.

I discovered that Twenty years later, the original film components of these goriers scene had been lost and they only existed on a 1 inch 4:3 master - there was no film print in existence that included them, so rather than inserting 4:3 pan and scanned footage into a 16:9 transfer (with a 2.35:1 ratio) Umbrella decided to include them on the dvd as a "special feature". Every additional scene from the "uncut" Roadshow VHS release is included on the DVD.

For your info, these scenes have never been seen in any version in the UK or US.
- Mark Hartley DVD Producer.

Link to pics of VHS cover (and article):
———

So... While I was on the OFLC website, I found news that “from this month, changes of format will not mean the film needs to be reclassified”.

Hence, Razorback should stay M, even with the VHS cut being added as an extra, as the “grisly deleted scenes” should have also been classified.*
Unless, the OFLC blindly passed the VHS in 1985 and they want to view the VHS cut again (as the deleted scenes may have more impact in context, then as an extra), it will get an M rating, as it did in 1985 (due to no submission necessary due to the new rules about format change.

* I am pretty sure, like the UK, the OFLC classify extras (well, they do if they are standalone discs), as the DieHard 25th Anniversary had an MA rating: not because any of the DieHard movies were rated M, but the disc of extras “Decoding DieHard” was plastered with an MA!
Never watched the extras, but I’ve always wondered what was on it to bring about an MA15+.

Anywho... I’m glad Umbrella is releasing this one with the correct frame rate of 1080p24 to allow for correct speed/pitch.
It will be interesting to be able to compare the VHS cut audio to the Theatrical transfer to hear the difference.
Also, it will be ironic that the “VHS cut” is shorter in length due to PAL speedup, despite the additional sequences (94m Theatrical and 92m Uncut).

Pity they don’t have the uncut version on film for this 4K restoration. Similar story with the Night of The Living Dead remake: had gore removed overzealously by a lazy editor, after the cut presented to the MPAA was told to remove “some frames” while still keeping some of the gore (the MPAA likes to shorten the time of gore on screen), but the editor removed entire sequences.

For an example of what the MPAA requests: Check out “The Punisher” R-rated vs. Uncut on Movie-Censorship.com:

Razorback helped me to develop an appreciation of horror in that it scared me as a pre-teen, especially the start. While even at 10 years of age, I questioned the validity of a
[Show spoiler]giant pig “bulldozing” a house and taking an infant
, it was still freaky... Also, something about the two wankas that run the pet food joint. Just their misogynistic tone that made them seem really “rapey” gave me the creeps.
Definitely a great example of ’80s Ozploitation. Day one for me (when it finally gets a release).

Last edited by Rick Grimes; 01-26-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added link to Razorback M/R rating article
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (01-26-2018), Alister_M (01-26-2018), cakefactory (01-26-2018), CrockettandTubbs (04-24-2018), fuzzymctiger (04-25-2018), GhastlyGraham (04-24-2018), Ianzombie (04-22-2018), Monroville (01-26-2018), robtadrian (02-04-2018), Sleazeaddict (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #145
Special Member

Jun 2016

I'm happy the uncut VHS will be included as an extra and archived on Blu-ray.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 AM   #146
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Rick Grimes, I enjoyed reading your effort post. That is pretty funny with the needless self-censoring. And yeah, I'm going to buy this rerelease ASAP. Something about this movie really does it for me. It's probably partly seeing it when I was around ~12 and then being shocked when it really held up when I finally saw it again several years later.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #147
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Like to add my thanks as well for the info. A real shame IMDB took out the posts, as this is the kind of thing one would go to the IMDB posts for. Another shame about the stupid editing.. I guess one could hope that maybe one will find the discarded 35mm scraps in someone's basement, but at least we'll have the uncut VHS.

Regardless, here is one looking forward to the new release.
Thanks given by:
LucasJ (01-26-2018), Rick Grimes (01-26-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:02 AM   #148

Jul 2013
Melbourne

Ah, I see. There is no R 18+ classification entry in the database, only the M entries.

I was reading the RAZORBACK page in Wikipedia last week and wondered why no mention of the R 18+ rating was made. But note that the self-censoring and longer VHS version were also not mentioned, which are certainly important omissions in the Release section. I'm tempted to add them.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 AM   #149

Nov 2010
Miami, FL

Anybody know what's going on with the new remastered version?

Wasn't it supposed to be out in February?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #150
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1973 View Post
Anybody know what's going on with the new remastered version?

Wasn't it supposed to be out in February?
No new date yet, but one of Umbrella's National Sales Manager has assured me that it's still coming, so don't fear.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (03-28-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #151
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016

Looks like it's finally coming out later this year. It's now part of the "Beyond Genres - Worlds On Film" series.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #152

May 2010

Quote:
Beyond Genres - Worlds On Film
I don't even know what that means. Isn't RAZORBACK a horror film? Sounds needlessly pretentious.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #153
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
I don't even know what that means. Isn't RAZORBACK a horror film? Sounds needlessly pretentious.
An Australian horror film. Arguably the best.
Thanks given by:
Shemp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #154

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMario9 View Post
An Australian horror film. Arguably the best.
Agreed. Certainly one of the best. I just don't get the nonsense Beyond Genres - Worlds On Film boutique label they've created for films like this and others like DAGON which are clearly horror films and never claimed to be anything else. Seems pretty pointless to me.
Thanks given by:
Davidian (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 AM   #155
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2016

Quote:
Agreed. Certainly one of the best. I just don't get the nonsense Beyond Genres - Worlds On Film boutique label they've created for films like this and others like DAGON which are clearly horror films and never claimed to be anything else. Seems pretty pointless to me.
It does kinda rob them of their own identity when they're lumped into a sub-category like that. They'll inevitably have a generic border/logo thing around the cover artwork too
Thanks given by:
Davidian (04-23-2018), From Beyond (04-23-2018), Shemp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #156

Sep 2016
Australia

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
It does kinda rob them of their own identity when they're lumped into a sub-category like that. They'll inevitably have a generic border/logo thing around the cover artwork too
Yeah it's pretty lame. It totally ruins the cover art for me.
Thanks given by:
Davidian (04-23-2018), Shemp (04-23-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #157

Feb 2013

Quote:
Isn't RAZORBACK a horror film?
I think calling RAZORBACK a horror movie is minimising the film that it is, which cannot be reduced to one category and indeed goes "beyond" horror and the other genres that it's alluding to...
Old 04-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #158

May 2010

Quote:
I think calling RAZORBACK a horror movie is minimising the film that it is, which cannot be reduced to one category and indeed goes "beyond" horror and the other genres that it's alluding to...
If you wanted to be overly analytical (which I loath), you could say that about any horror film. It doesn't go "beyond" horror at all. It's basically a monster movie.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #159
Special Member

Jun 2016

Any recent news on this release?
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #160

Feb 2013

Quote:
If you wanted to be overly analytical (which I loath), you could say that about any horror film. It doesn't go "beyond" horror at all. It's basically a monster movie.
But I'm barely being analytical here.

In my own view, the horror aspects of the film are just not the main or only components, I never saw it as a horror film or seen any other movie in that genre that look, or have the same, eerie feel (the score alone, the journey in the desert), low amount of horror scenes as RAZORBACK.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia