Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96
20 hrs ago
Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34
16 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34
4 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.96
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown
Default Umbrella releases Fair Game (1986)!

I was so crushingly disappointed when I saw the trailer on NQH and found out that Fair Game wasn't available. Hah! Fool on me! Now it is:

Quote:
Coming January 3rd is the world first Blu-ray release of Mario Andreacchio's insane Ozploitation classic FAIR GAME, which is now available to pre-order.
Check out the list of exclusive EXTRA FEATURES below!
-AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR MARIO ANDREACCHIO + WRITER ROB GEORGE
- EXTENDED INTERVIEW WITH CASSANDRA DELANEY FROM NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD
- ON LOCATION WITH FAIR GAME
- BEHIND THE SCENES
- 1985 TV REPORT FROM NWS9, ACTION NEWS
- BEHIND THE SCENES
- 1985 TV REPORT FROM ADS-7, STATE AFFAIR
- BEHIND THE SCENES with DEAN BENNETT
- THEATRICAL TRAILER
- IMAGE GALLERY
- STORYBOARD
- MARIO ANDREACCHIO SHORT FILMS
VANDALISM (1981) 14mins
BREAK-IN (1983) 13mins
TAKEN BY STORM (1984) 25mins
ABDUCTION…WHO’S NEXT' (1984) 15mins
UNDER PRESSURE (1986) 15mins

Thanks given by:
CastrosfriendChe (11-14-2017), Davidian (11-14-2017), deepseababy (01-10-2018), donthitpause (11-14-2017), LucasJ (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #2

Nov 2017
Australia

Awesome! Can't wait
Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

just got this yesterday on import to Uk, works fine on my actual blu ray player, but film itself seems to run at an odd frame rate on a PS4.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
just got this yesterday on import to Uk, works fine on my actual blu ray player, but film itself seems to run at an odd frame rate on a PS4.
Seems most of the recent Umbrella releases have issues on Sony hardware according to multiple posts on here.
Thanks given by:
beadelf (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

its strange as menu and all extras work fine, its just the film. I thought I had a duff disc (i own quite a few umbrella releases and hadnt esxpirenced this issue) checked on my panasonic player and its all fine.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickieduvet View Post
Seems most of the recent Umbrella releases have issues on Sony hardware according to multiple posts on here.
Indeed. Everyone who has these issues needs to contact Umbrella as they are currently looking into it.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Power Member

Jun 2008
Perth

BDinfo:

Code:
Disc Title: VolumeID
Disc Size: 42,039,098,466 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: Yes
Playlist: 00004.MPLS
Size: 18,526,366,848 bytes
Length: 1:25:48.685
Total Bitrate: 28.79 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 0 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps
Thanks given by:
donthitpause (01-11-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #8

May 2010

Quote:
According to a post by GoodAsBlu...

Quote:
Got my copy of Fair Game yesterday and watched it today. I have a hardware modded Sony BDP S1500, purchased in 2015.

Watched using Region A setting. No issues with full playback of the film or extras, but if you do pause or stop the movie, the screen will go dark and lock-up (freeze). In my situation, pressing the off/on button did nothing for about 20-30 seconds, but eventually turned itself off. Turning it back on manually, fully re-sets the movie back to the Main Menu.
Thanks given by:
Dickieduvet (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #9

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
Quote:
So maybe that´s the problem I´m having with my "Dark Age" blu-ray.

I´m using a PS4 and my copy has some kind motion blur in some scenes in the movie and some of them are distracting... the end credits are a good reference.

I´ve assumed that my copy was bad because all the reviews I´ve categorized the picture quality has "very good" or "excellent" for such an old movie.

I have to try it in a normal non sony player.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Oct 2009

My copy of Fair Game works fine on my PS3 save for a couple of the extras I'm assuming might be 50hz. The transfer on the film itself looks pretty damn great. Really glad to finally own this movie. Love the non-stop action/suspense.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #11

Jul 2013
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
I´m using a PS4 and my copy has some kind motion blur in some scenes in the movie and some of them are distracting... the end credits are a good reference.
Does your PS4 has digital noise reduction enabled? If so, set it to OFF. This could be the cause of your image smearing. Apparently it only applies to external video content, but not sure...I don't own a PS4.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Jessica, played by Cassandra Delaney, runs a wildlife sanctuary in the Australia Outback, and is unsettled when she discovers that three hunters are illegally killing kangaroos on her territory. She is later harassed and antagonized by the hunters when she travels into town to alert the authorities. Afterwards, the men follow her home and victimize her in a series of sadistic games. Fortunately, Jessica is smarter, faster, and more adept in the wilderness than the men. The hunters quickly become the hunted, and, during a climactic showdown, they learn the hard way what happens when they mess with a woman.

The 1986 Australian survival thriller, Fair Game, thankfully eschews the sleazy exploitation aesthetics of American movies of the era for the most part, and the more disturbing aspects of the story are implied rather than shown, although the hunters are clearly portrayed as redneck “good old boys” who cross the line with their quest for mean-spirited fun. The end result immerses the viewer in some occasionally cartoonish, but brilliantly intense action sequences reminiscent of the Mad Max films. Vehicles drive off of cliffs, an obnoxiously huge truck plows through a house, a character meets a violent death by way of electric shock, a stuntman jumps from one vehicle to another during a chaotic car chase, and our female protagonist uses multiple well-engineered booby traps to turn the tables on her tormentors.

This film benefits greatly from the isolation factor of the unforgiving setting. During one highly suspenseful scene, Jessica evades the hunters by hiding beneath a rocky ledge. While the men stand above her and search the area with their gun scopes, a snake crawls over Jessica as she struggles to remain silent. Since this is Australia, where there is a strong probability that a snakebite will leave you badly dead, this sequence provides quite a few white-knuckle moments.

Fair Game will not make you a better person or change your worldview, but, when it comes to explosively fast-paced Outback action goodness, one could do a lot worse.

This Umbrella Entertainment Blu-ray sports an impressive video presentation befitting of this film's rugged charm. The audio shines as well, and brings out the best in the sound effects and gunshots.

The interview with the beautiful Cassandra Delaney is a joy to watch, especially because she looks back fondly on the film.

I'm currently enjoying the commentary track with director Mario Andreacchio and writer Rob George.

Sadly, I cannot get the rest of the extras to work on my region A Sony Blu-ray player, although the movie, the main interview, and the commentary work just fine. I'd like to watch the director's short films, but I'll have to wait until I can get them working on my player or on another player.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 02-12-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Thanks given by:
Davidian (02-13-2018), donthitpause (02-12-2018), moviegeek1992 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Most reviews did not mention that some extras were 50hz encoded and won’t work in some players. This one does mention it:
http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=5131
Old 02-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

Jessica, played by Cassandra Delaney, runs a wildlife sanctuary in the Australia Outback, and is unsettled when she discovers that three hunters are illegally killing kangaroos on her territory. She is later harassed and antagonized by the hunters when she travels into town to alert the authorities. Afterwards, the men follow her home and victimize her in a series of sadistic games. Fortunately, Jessica is smarter, faster, and more adept in the wilderness than the men. The hunters quickly become the hunted, and, during a climactic showdown, they learn the hard way what happens when they mess with a woman.

The 1986 Australian survival thriller, Fair Game, thankfully eschews the sleazy exploitation aesthetics of American movies of the era for the most part, and the more disturbing aspects of the story are implied rather than shown, although the hunters are clearly portrayed as redneck “good old boys” who cross the line with their quest for mean-spirited fun. The end result immerses the viewer in some occasionally cartoonish, but brilliantly intense action sequences reminiscent of the Mad Max films. Vehicles drive off of cliffs, an obnoxiously huge truck plows through a house, a character meets a violent death by way of electric shock, a stuntman jumps from one vehicle to another during a chaotic car chase, and our female protagonist uses multiple well-engineered booby traps to turn the tables on her tormentors.

This film benefits greatly from the isolation factor of the unforgiving setting. During one highly suspenseful scene, Jessica evades the hunters by hiding beneath a rocky ledge. While the men stand above her and search the area with their gun scopes, a snake crawls over Jessica as she struggles to remain silent. Since this is Australia, where there is a strong probability that a snakebite will leave you badly dead, this sequence provides quite a few white-knuckle moments.

Fair Game will not make you a better person or change your worldview, but, when it comes to explosively fast-paced Outback action goodness, one could do a lot worse.

This Umbrella Entertainment Blu-ray sports an impressive video presentation befitting of this film's rugged charm. The audio shines as well, and brings out the best in the sound effects and gunshots.

The interview with the beautiful Cassandra Delaney is a joy to watch, especially because she looks back fondly on the film.

I'm currently enjoying the commentary track with director Mario Andreacchio and writer Rob George.

Sadly, I cannot get the rest of the extras to work on my region A Sony Blu-ray player, although the movie, the main interview, and the commentary work just fine. I'd like to watch the director's short films, but I'll have to wait until I can get them working on my player or on another player.
Nowadays I just click thanks on your reviews before actually reading them. You really know how to sell someone on a movie!
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (02-27-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #15

Mar 2018
East Sussex, UK

A very enjoyable piece of Aussie exploitation. Now I just need 'Summerfield', 'End Play' & 'Money Movers' to be released on Blu Ray.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

For those who wanted it, my review of the disc is up: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...s.asp?ID=11667
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (04-11-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #17

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
For those who wanted it, my review of the disc is up: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...s.asp?ID=11667
The 2008 Beyond Home Entertainment DVD release was not the only one.

It was released in Germany in 2011... it´s the version I bought before the blu-ray:
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fa...957&vid=316403
Old 03-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #18
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
The 2008 Beyond Home Entertainment DVD release was not the only one.

It was released in Germany in 2011... it´s the version I bought before the blu-ray:
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fa...957&vid=316403
Wasn't aware, thanks. Could only find the Beyond DVD listed on this site and couldn't find anything else from a cursory Google search.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #19

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
Wasn't aware, thanks. Could only find the Beyond DVD listed on this site and couldn't find anything else from a cursory Google search.
Most of the times, Germany releases some stuff without the rest of the world knowing about them.

Keep this site as future reference:
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=start
Thanks given by:
StrayButler91 (03-27-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #20
Banned

Jul 2015
North Korea

Review of Umbrella's Fair Game by Pro-B up now here!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia