Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
1 hr ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #1

Dec 2019
Default Disc Features that Drive You Crazy

1. I absolutely HATE it when you play a movie and along with the Top Menu you get scenes from the film that play until you start the movie. Of course, if it's a blind-buy and it's the first time you're watching the movie, that can be especially annoying, but even if you've seen the film numerous times you (or, at least, I) don't want to be reminded of scenes you are about to watch. Universal discs are particularly guilty of this issue.

2. I'm not sure if this is related specifically to my player (Oppo 203), but if you pause the disc while watching a Disney movie and don't get back to it before the screen-saver initiates, you are taken back to the beginning of the chapter that you're watching, meaning you have to fast forward to where you left off, and that is VERY annoying.

3. Sort of along the same lines as #2 above, Universal discs will often take you back to the Top Menu after being paused, and you then have to click on Play for the film to re-start where you left off. Not as annoying as #2, but still a pain.

4. This is one thing I've learned to avoid, but I still forget sometimes: If you have the volume turned up to the level for which you want to watch the movie, the Dolby Atmos or DTS blurb that shows up before the movie starts can blast you right out of your seat. Lionsgate discs are definitely susceptible to this.

Any others that bug you?

Last edited by JJ Sefton; 04-11-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

I hate menus where you can't tell which of the items that you want to select is the one that's highlighted. It seems some menus the difference is so subtle that you can't tell what your highlighting and then you end up picking the wrong one.
Thanks given by:
Phillip c. Niethe (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2013
TN

Number 2 & 3 must be a glitch with your player, never encountered that problem before.

And my least favorite "feature" has to be forced trailers. Annoying on a current disc, absolutely maddening when watching an older one. Oh, boy! Previews for a new movie! That came out nine years ago...
Thanks given by:
Phillip c. Niethe (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Sefton View Post
2. I'm not sure if this is related specifically to my player (Oppo 203), but if you pause the disc while watching a Disney movie and don't get back to it before the screen-saver initiates, you are taken back to the beginning of the chapter that you're watching, meaning you have to fast forward to where you left off, and that is VERY annoying.
I usually pause the disk, put the pure audio mode via remote on to hide video, come back, undo pure mode, remove pause to the same playback spot after walked away several minutes. Why on earth would it go to the start of a chapter? That makes no sense. never seen that. Even streaming a Disney film, it might go back a few seconds as a normal thing with buffering, but not a chapter start.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Yes I totally agree with all that, I call it Junk. That's why I started to make Disc Back-ups, where I only Backed up the Movie. I would store the Commercial Disc and just watched my Back-ups. That's one of the main reasons I prefer Digital now, don't have to put up with all that Junk.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
I hate menus where you can't tell which of the items that you want to select is the one that's highlighted. It seems some menus the difference is so subtle that you can't tell what your highlighting and then you end up picking the wrong one.

I also hate discs where, in the language selection menu, after selecting either the audio or the subtitle, you're taken back to the main menu instead of staying in the same screen in order to select the second thing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology