Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
14 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
43 min ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Bloodshot (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 04-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Soulborn

New PS5 Game Soulborn Described As A Mix Of The Witcher, Legend of Zelda

A new PlayStation 5 game called Soulborn has been announced by German studio PixelMad Games and apparently takes generous inspiration from the likes of The Witcher and Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda series. An open world RPG developed using Unreal Engine 4, Soulborn puts players in the shoes of Brynjar Townshield a titular Soulborn demigod who together with the hammer Mjölnir, must prevent the massive cosmic beast Nidhöggr from devouring the world of men, Midgard.

Designed from the ground up as a PS5 title, Soulborn would certainly seem to have its ambition in the right place and certainly, having an open world action RPG of this sort on Sony’s next-generation console would be something of a boon too.

Not set to release until the end of 2021, you can catch the closed alpha gameplay trailer for Soulborn below. Don’t be too harsh on it though – the game is not set to release for at least another 20 months and so the gameplay shown below will be rudimentary and a great many of the visual polish that one would associate with a PS5 game won’t be present either.

Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (04-11-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
New PS5 Game Soulborn Described As A Mix Of The Witcher, Legend of Zelda

A new PlayStation 5 game called Soulborn has been announced by German studio PixelMad Games and apparently takes generous inspiration from the likes of The Witcher and Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda series. An open world RPG developed using Unreal Engine 4, Soulborn puts players in the shoes of Brynjar Townshield a titular Soulborn demigod who together with the hammer Mjölnir, must prevent the massive cosmic beast Nidhöggr from devouring the world of men, Midgard.

Designed from the ground up as a PS5 title, Soulborn would certainly seem to have its ambition in the right place and certainly, having an open world action RPG of this sort on Sony’s next-generation console would be something of a boon too.

Not set to release until the end of 2021, you can catch the closed alpha gameplay trailer for Soulborn below. Don’t be too harsh on it though – the game is not set to release for at least another 20 months and so the gameplay shown below will be rudimentary and a great many of the visual polish that one would associate with a PS5 game won’t be present either.

Soulborn - Indie Game Alpha Trailer - YouTube
Why do I need next gen hardware to play this? It could've said for PS4 and I wouldn't have doubted it otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (04-11-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Tbh, i would be keeping my expectations low with this and Quantum Error. Godfall doesn't look much better to me. No announced PS5 game does tbh. Rather have a remastered version of PS4 titles that were already Pro enhanced or simply have them patch in a further upgrade for PS5.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Agreed. Nothing has me even remotely excited
Old 04-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Why do I need next gen hardware to play this? It could've said for PS4 and I wouldn't have doubted it otherwise.
Because had it been announced as a ps4 game, we wouldn’t have heard about

Btw when I read the title, I thought it’s a new ‘SoulBorne’ game
Old 04-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

They mentioned they have 20 months to complete it, but it looks like a decent RPG game, though lower budget like with Arcania on PS4. Best to hold off showing a game if it doesn't have all of the PS5 showcase effects ready to show off. As of now, it could easily pass for a PS4 game.

The lava sections look fun in a platforming game way. The camera zooming closer when aiming an arrow is a better camera view to explore the world with compared to what looks like a camera view that is too far away from the player to get a sense that you're in the game, behind the player's shoulder.

Interesting that smaller studios are showcasing their games before the AAA developers reveal their games. I'll keep an open mind to see where this game develops. 2021 is almost 2 years away.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the reason Sony is pouring so much focus on things like faster load times, audio, controller innovation, etc is because they KNOW that graphics this coming generation, while I'm sure will still look great, aren't going to be the immediate differentiator from last generation.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the reason Sony is pouring so much focus on things like faster load times, audio, controller innovation, etc is because they KNOW that graphics this coming generation, while I'm sure will still look great, aren't going to be the immediate differentiator from last generation.
Point of diminishing returns unfortunately where graphics do get better over time and we will get photorealistic at some point but it will feel like incremental upgrades unlike the first 3 PlayStation generations.

My personal position is that 4K/120Fps is going to be the sweet spot for gaming in the future with 8k not really offering enough via resolution alone. It's all about enhancing the experiences of gaming in other ways like you mentioned. Audio is a big part of it and sensory angles another alongside something more tangible like lightning fast load times.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

As long as you do not expect 4k/120 now

lets nail 4k/ solid 60 first
Old 04-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post

LOL he's going to be disappointed I'm afraid.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post

No, don't worry. As "Power Mad" as my desire for a PS5 Pro and so on before a base has even launched, i'd like to still think i'm realistic in expectation and do not think they're gonna even have an easy time nailing 60fps at native 4K for a while. So my hope was perhaps we'd see a Pro model mid gen to help reach that target but hey, with BC i guess PS6 could do it lol

Quote:
LOL he's going to be disappointed I'm afraid.
Don't worry, expectations in check
Old 04-15-2020, 12:25 AM   #12

Jun 2011
Minnesota

Looks good. I betcha you're looking for GTA 6, Gran Turismo Sport 2, Final Fantasy 16, Final Fantasy 8, Dragon Quest 12. They'll come later in the lifespan!

I miss people bragging of having a Playstation 2 in high school! Now everyone owns a ps4 so no bragging. In elementary they bragged about having a Sega Game Gear because it was in color! Then Cartoon Network had old videogame ads. Not done much anymore!

That one time, I wore my Dreamcast launch shirt in high school, and I got detention for advertising and making poor students jealous. School staff bring up stupid things. Staff were into Jurgen Habermas back then.

Last edited by renegadeviking; 04-15-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Soulborne looks like they've developed the adventure as a PS4 game, and then chose to add the PS5 to the development cycle. Probably like other games to be released in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
Looks good. I betcha you're looking for GTA 6, Gran Turismo Sport 2, Final Fantasy 16, Final Fantasy 8, Dragon Quest 12. They'll come later in the lifespan!

I miss people bragging of having a Playstation 2 in high school! Now everyone owns a ps4 so no bragging. In elementary they bragged about having a Sega Game Gear because it was in color! Then Cartoon Network had old videogame ads. Not done much anymore!

That one time, I wore my Dreamcast launch shirt in high school, and I got detention for advertising and making poor students jealous. School staff bring up stupid things. Staff were into Jurgen Habermas back then.
I saw a video game TV ad today for Fallout 76's new campaign, and while I didn't care at all since it's an online only game, it's good to see video game advertisements on non-video game channels.

I'd have to see the shirt to be certain, but yeah, that stinks about the T-shirt and the stupid jerks who gave you detention for something inoffensive such as a DreamCast T-Shirt like that.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2015

Looks interesting. I guess it will depend how much other stuff I want to play at the time when it comes out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5