Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
1 hr ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

May 2017
Default Listed Blu-Ray releases without a date

Hello

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes.

When going to the Releases page of certain movies, I find there is a Blu Ray release listed. All excited I click on the link only to find a page with no artwork and no release date. Here's an example:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-S...lu-ray/134393/

What is the reason for this? Does it mean a Blu-Ray release is being worked on? And if not, why do some movies have this included in their releases and some don't?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Sometimes it means it's been announced as a release, but no date has been set. Occasionally it was announced and later cancelled, but the listing wasn't deleted

Sometimes it's a title that is part of a boxset that doesn't have a separate release.

Many/Most of the time it's was someone's wishlist posting that never has been announced and doesn't exist except in someone's imagination. Since the database can be added to or edited by forum members, it is ripe for misinformation and at times outright abuse. There are many items that have been up for years that never existed. If you report a title to a moderator many time it will be removed, but there are just too many individual items to have a moderator scour and continually purge fake listings.

That specific listing was made in 2015 and hasn't been edited since then. It appears to have been added by a very long time, but not particularly active member (70 posts in 11 years, but made nearly 2000 database submissions from 2013-2016 and none since). A ton if not the majority of his last 400-500 edits aren't real releases -- I didn't check deeper.

Last edited by hariseldon; 04-24-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

May 2017

Thank you, that is really helpful.

So essentially it's just fake news.

How do I see who added a title and especially WHEN it was added? If it's old then there's a good chance it's not an actual confirmed release.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

It's often "fake", but not always.

For example, here's a recent release that did come out. I added it to the database here, but I'm honestly unsure exactly when it was released: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Trans...lu-ray/267729/ Since I'm not going to guess or make something up, it shows No Release Date.

There are also rare times when 2 usually reliable sources show 2 different release dates. One is right, probably, but it can be difficult or impossible to know which, and so sometimes the Release Date is left blank.

If you click on "Edit movie", right below "Overview" then that will usually show who's worked on it. The member with the most "points" is almost always the one who added it, and if you hover over the little i then it'll show the date they submitted their work.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #5

May 2017

Amazing, thank you.

I was not aware this is like a Wikipedia situation, where everyone can add stuff whenever they like. I thought that all the information is added by the site's editors... I guess I was naive. But learning now how it works will help me to better evaluate the information.
I have to say though that mostly I find the information on the site very reliable.

As long as you guys are so helpful, one other thing I was always curious about and couldn't figure out: in the Latest Reviews section, why are some bluray reviews listed in bold letters, while others don't? When clicking on a "regular" review and then a bold one, there seem to be no difference whatsoever between them.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynos View Post
Amazing, thank you.

I was not aware this is like a Wikipedia situation, where everyone can add stuff whenever they like. I thought that all the information is added by the site's editors... I guess I was naive. But learning now how it works will help me to better evaluate the information.
I have to say though that mostly I find the information on the site very reliable.

As long as you guys are so helpful, one other thing I was always curious about and couldn't figure out: in the Latest Reviews section, why are some bluray reviews listed in bold letters, while others don't? When clicking on a "regular" review and then a bold one, there seem to be no difference whatsoever between them.

Thanks!
The bolded ones have been clicked on more. Not sure how many clicks it takes for it to become bolded, but thatís the reason.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynos View Post
Amazing, thank you.

Thanks!
Yes, it's mostly "like a Wikipedia situation", with a couple exceptions. For example, screenshots can only be added by a very few people.

Many members here do not add or edit anything, but almost everyone can. I like to think that everyone who does has good intentions, and any problems or errors happen by honest mistake.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #8

May 2017

Thank you all for the info!

So the bold reviews are the most clicked ones... I would've never guessed it in the world.
I wonder why it is even implemented, personally i usually just read the reviews i'm interested in, popularity of title usually doesn't factor into it. Of course that's just me, but with this information not visible anywhere that I could find, it's a little odd. Psychologically you are more in inclined to click on bolded reviews, though, so I guess that adds to the number of clicks. Anyway, doesn't really bother me. I was just curious. :-)
Old 05-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post

Many members here do not add or edit anything, but almost everyone can. I like to think that everyone who does has good intentions, and any problems or errors happen by honest mistake.

Decided to check mine since I rarely edit these and my jawed dropped with I saw 606 submissions registered

Clicked into the details and found I had only edited 17 different items. 590 of my "Submissions" came from 4 Amazon Italy 3D items I bought in some 5 for 25EUR type deal. Each initiated addition had 140-150 points/specs though probably only a dozen actual entries
The other dozen or so items were mostly stuff like updating release date for delays and some minor additions like UPC or ASIN codes for a couple of exclusives
Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Decided to check mine since I rarely edit these and my jawed dropped with I saw 606 submissions registered

Clicked into the details and found I had only edited 17 different items. 590 of my "Submissions" came from 4 Amazon Italy 3D items I bought in some 5 for 25EUR type deal. Each initiated addition had 140-150 points/specs though probably only a dozen actual entries
The other dozen or so items were mostly stuff like updating release date for delays and some minor additions like UPC or ASIN codes for a couple of exclusives
Yeah, there are some ways in which points can quickly add up, adding a brand new entry always results in a lot, or specifying subtitles when they're unset is another example. On the other hand, as you say, just adding/editing one, or a couple of pieces of info, results in minimal points.

But the points don't really matter, unless someone wants a gold star as a Top Contributor on the forum, or becomes competitive about them, and compares their rankings to other people's.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion